Can someone give me advice on digestive enzymes for a 32 month old with reflux? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-05-2013, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son who is almost 3 has had GERD all his life, I suspect anyway. He spit up alot as a baby and has NEVER slept well. I am not talking about sleeping through the night, I am talking about putting him to sleep at 7 and he will wake every hour til I go to bed and then he tosses and turns all night, sits up randomly from sleeping. He is refusing to sleep in the bed and wants to sit on the couch, he won't lay down on it, he doesn't want to lay down for diaper changes. In the last month he told me he "tastes fire" and to top it off his dentist said his molars have some reflux damage. He takes probiotics but they seem to do nothing, we also have yeast issues and his appetite is poor and he is underweight. We co sleep and I am a wreck from the lack of sleep I have had since he has been born. I knew his sleeping patterns were not normal but I couldn't put my finger on it....also his pedi is useless and I am searching for a new one.

My question is, I bought some digestive enzymes by enzymedica. Here are the exact ones: 

http://www.iherb.com/Enzymedica-Kids-Digest-Chewables-Digestive-Enzymes-Sour-Berry-90-Tablets/39357

I didn't realize when I bought them that there is no age requirement listed and there are other things other than enzymes. Do these look safe for a 25 pound 2 year old? I took one to see how they tasted and it hurt my esophagus so bad, but my esophagus is already inflamed (I have GERD too).

They are my last resort before I try giving him Zantac which I really do not want to do. I cut dairy and most sugar out for both of us 8 days ago, I am benefiting but his reflux does not seem better. I am desperate and worried for him : /

#2 of 3 Old 05-08-2013, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Bumping up for more input!

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 3 Old 05-15-2013, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Enzymes are safe. I would not expect it to cure the reflux. It hasn't in my experience.

You are describing severe symptoms and a great deal of pain. I actually think you need a PPI (like Priolosec or Prevacid) and I know you won't want to hear that. My son did them for years but he's off now. Use probiotics. But search for cause too.

Are you seeing constipation? That can be a trigger. Any other health issues that might point to a cause?

A sleep study might be a very good idea. Yes, those things might be wholly reflux but they could be sleep apnea too and, actually, apnea can cause reflux. I have apnea and am thin. My son had mild apnea too.

If a PPI doesn't work you may need pediatric GI to look for things like EOS disease. I think it's probably not that.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page