Burn and baby - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-07-2013, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

While holding my 5 wk. old in my hand, I bumped into a hot pot. I right away put her leg under cold water for a little while. I later put the Weleda Burn-care. 20 minutes later I noticed a small blister, and marks on her. It has not become worse or swollen, and she even managed a short nap. No crying since it happened.

Is there anything further to do? Should I pop the blister. It's clear, and the skin is not peeling.

Thanks

#2 of 5 Old 05-07-2013, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

My understanding is that you do NOT pop a burn blister.  Doing so can invite bacterial infection into the wound. Be careful of how clothing is put on and taken off so you don't rub or pop the blister.

I have usually used honey and/or aloe on burns.  The honey seems really sticky, but it rinses clean with a little water and does well under a non-stick bandage.  I use stretch wraps or old tights/socks with foot part cut off to keep bandages on tender skin, instead of adhesive bandages or tape.

If you are breast feeding, a little momma's milk can be used to help sooth the wound.

: )

#3 of 5 Old 05-07-2013, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does the milk really sooth?

I should cover the burn after putting on the honey?

Thanks  again.

#4 of 5 Old 05-08-2013, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I also recommend honey and aloe thumb.gif I would lightly cover with gauze if you use honey, just because it will get all over the place if it's not covered.

When I say aloe, I mean real aloe from a live plant. You can usually find aloe plants at Lowe's and Home Depot, or at garden centers. Some supermarkets even sell it!

"Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."

~Captain Hammer (j/k, it was Plato)

#5 of 5 Old 05-08-2013, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

momma's milk is very soothing.  Of course, the first priority is making sure the burn is completely cooled so it cannot continue burning.

You don't have to cover the honey, but it does help keep things from sticking to it.  Use a thick layer . . . and make sure it's not granulated honey.  I use a butter knife to slather it on carefully.  The first time I learned about this I was backpacking and stepped backwards into a hot grate on the fire.  2nd degree burns (almost 3rd degree) and not much that we could use to cool the burn down.  The honey stopped the pain immediately and I was grateful, even if I was a little tweeked out by the stickiness.

Hope your little one is doing well.  It's amazing how fast their skin heals at a young age.

: )

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page