Possible Celiac Disease for my 32 month old and me? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-07-2013, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am curious, those who have little ones with Celiac, what were their symptoms? I suspect I have Celiac and my almost 3 year old as well and possibly even my mom and her parents. Digestive issues and lactose/dairy issues run in my family. None of us have ever been tested for Celiac.

My son will be 3 in August and ever since he was born he has been a poor sleeper. And by poor I mean even now, he goes to bed at 7pm and he will usually wake every hour until I go to bed (we have co-slept since he was 5 weeks). When he was an infant he would usually sleep well in a swing and I have pretty much confirmed he has reflux still. His symptoms are :

reflux-refuses to lay down for diaper changes, refuses to sleep or nap until exahausted, won't even lay down on the couchdentist says he has enamel issues which look like reflux damage.

tummy aches-he sleeps with his knees to his chest a lot and complains his tummy hurts

underweight-he is almost 3 and 25 pounds, although very tall for his age I think he is too skinny, altthough he does have a lil belly that looks similar to celiac belly.

Stools-his stools are still never really solid and they often are really foul smelling with a yellowish color and undigested food. He is not constipated though and does not get diarrhea.

Picky eater- he is very picky and doesn't eat enough (imo) and he wants sugar all the time

Yeast- he STILL has thrush and we have been battling it since Dec 2012. He gets diaper rashes too :(

Teeth-his teeth seem to be yellowing and I am thinking it is from reflux.

-Behavior- He is a generally sweet child but within the last 6 months to a year is starting to be more aggressive and out of control sometimes, very fussy and cranky.

-dark circles under eyes and redness around eyes

I have cut out dairy for 2 weeks now thinking that was the issue but it has not seemed to benefit him which is why I am thinking it is gluten :( Any advice would be great. TIA :)

#2 of 4 Old 05-07-2013, 03:43 PM

It definitely wouldn't hurt to cut out gluten. Honestly, we've never been tested either, but my son gets SO aggrivated SO quickly, and gets aggressive whenever he has gluten. I wouldn't be surprised if you guys, did. We're huge fans of the Paleo diet but can't do it right now, and through my research have come to the general consensus that humans were never designed to eat grains in the first place. And we certainly haven't "adapted" to be able to do so. They're toxic raw, and during our very beginnings of our species, we would have NEVER had the proper tools to cook them to where they were edible. Beyond that, it's hypothesized that in order to truly digest grains, an animal must have a gizzard, and the only ones that do are birds and insects.

Personally, I feel awful when I eat gluten. I feel sluggish, like my body is weighed down with sand, and I get tired easily. I have more energy after fasting, than I do eating gluten. That's ridiculous.

Cows are herbivores, and from I've read, do absolutely terrible when fed grains. There's a huge difference between grain-fed, and grass-fed, and cows fed on grass are typically healthier, stronger, and produce livelier offspring, whereas cows fed on grains are sickly, and pestered with many ailments..... a lot like humans, actually.

BeckyBird likes this.
#3 of 4 Old 05-22-2013, 09:47 AM

try "stopping the vicious cycle" (book, dietary cure) if you suspect celiac and see if you have results.

#4 of 4 Old 05-30-2013, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

If you suspect Celiac, DO NOT STOP GLUTEN till you get the testing done. None of the diagnostic tests can be done once gluten is removed.

Those symptoms don't scream Celiac to me but the signs and symptoms are so varied with the disease, who knows.

Good luck figuring it out.

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page