Please help! My children stay sick!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-17-2013, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

HI.  Im new here and I am desperate for some help.  I have 2 children who stay sick.  Both of them have had their tonsils and adenoids removed and they have both had a sinus cleanse.  My 5 yr old daughter has had a lot of trouble with her sinuses....probably once a month we get a sinus infection with stuff dripping down the back of her throat.  Everytime she gets sick she is put on an antibiotic and is well within a week.  My 2 yr old son has stayed sick most of this past year.  He has literally been on at least one antibiotic every month..sometimes 2 antibiotics.  His pediatricians have to change his meds because nothing seems to get him well and keep him well.  My son also has a history of febrile seizures...he has had 3 now since birth, all due to having a fever.  The first 2 seizures were due to tonsilitis and this last one-after his tonsils were removed-  were do to a red throat.  The problem with him is that he seems to always have a fever...a low grade one.  Any fever with him scares me to death.  He has been off and on sick for the past 3 weeks...we are on our 3rd antibiotic now.  He hasn't had a fever at all this week and this morning he woke up with one.  This would be day 4 of being on the new antibiotic, meds for sinus congestion, and a steroid.  Im tired of the frequent pedi visits and the frequent fevers.  Ive got to do something to get these kids well and keep them well.  Any help any of you can give me will be greatly appreciated!! 

#2 of 5 Old 05-17-2013, 04:25 PM

If it were me, I'd cut out the antibiotics and all the other meds and focus on diet and nutrition.  The antibiotics aren't working.  If you're needing to constantly switch antibiotics, maybe this isn't bacterial?  

Be brutally  honest (with yourself - you don't have to tell us) with how your children are eating.  Are they eating whole foods, fruits, veggies, good fats and protein?  

Personally, I'd cut out all sugar, grains and dairy.  I'd focus on lots of healthy fats, veggies, protein and fruits.  I'd also be giving lots of fermented foods or supplementing with probiotics.  I'd also be supplementing with vitamin C and D at least until my kids got healthy.  

Have you considered seeing an alternative doctor like a naturopath?  It seems as if your doctor isn't really finding out what's going on - just giving meds and more meds which aren't working.  Personally, I'd take my child to a naturopath who is going to dig deeper and help you figure out what's causing all this illness. 

I'm sorry mama - there is nothing worse than sick kids :( 

#3 of 5 Old 05-17-2013, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for responding!  To be honest with you, my kids are both pretty picky and really only want to stuff thats not so great.  I try to cook healthy meals for them but they both take one look at it and walk away.  My daughter loves fruits, hates vegetables except green beans.  My son is the exact opposite...hates fruits, loves green beans, carrots, corn.  I have tried to introduce new things to them but they both refuse to eat it.  Ive just started doing some research on things that I can start doing differently and vitamins I can start adding in.  I took both my kids back to their pedi today.  My daughter is getting better but my son has picked up an ear infection while on antibiotics.  I did request that we get some blood work done to check his immune system so we will be doing that some time next week.  Hopefully I can get some answers and some guidance on where to start to get these kids healthy and keep them healthy! 

#4 of 5 Old 05-19-2013, 09:24 PM

Ear infections typically are viral, not bacterial.  I'm praying your Ped didn't suggest another antibiotic to take care of the new ear infection.  

Testing is a good place to start.  I'd also explore the possibility of food allergies.  Undiagnosed food allergies can cause lots of illness. 

I totally get kids that are picky but, they will eat what you have available to them.  It may take a while but, if you have junk food, they'll eat it.  But, if their only choices are healthy ones, they'll eat it.  You may have to narrow down what they will eat - if they will only eat certain fruits or veggies, that's fine - feed those regularly but, introduce new ones every now and again.  But, if you've got sick kids, you really, really have to make sure they are eating as healthy as possible.  Even if that's green beans every night - better green beans than sugar or other health damaging foods.  

Hoping you find out what's going on!  

#5 of 5 Old 05-19-2013, 10:08 PM

I would see an immunologist ASAP

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page