Unclean blood draw - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-23-2013, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I went to a new physician's office to get my blood drawn. Now i'm afraid I made a really bad mistake!

1. The blood work procedure room was really tiny and seemed to double up as a storage room. No sink or sanitizer bottle in place. 

2. The technician already had gloves on as i came in and had needle out of the package laying on the tray

3. He never changed a new pair of gloves, and had touched a door handle, a chair and other items before proceeding with the test.

4. He did swipe the injection site with alcohol wipe, BUT then proceeded to touch the site with gloved hand again. He never disinfected the site after palpating it with those questionable gloves. 

Would it be possible to contract an infection from such procedure? 

Thank you!

#2 of 7 Old 05-23-2013, 05:55 PM

Yikes. I would try to learn from this and speak up next time. I can totally see something like this happening to me, I wouldn't have wanted to be rude or awkward.

#3 of 7 Old 05-24-2013, 12:08 AM

Welcome to MDC!

This is the Homebirth forum. Is your issue homebirth related or did you need the post moved to another forum?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#4 of 7 Old 05-24-2013, 04:50 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)

Moved to Health and Healing. 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#5 of 7 Old 05-24-2013, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayle View Post

I went to a new physician's office to get my blood drawn. Now i'm afraid I made a really bad mistake!

1. The blood work procedure room was really tiny and seemed to double up as a storage room. No sink or sanitizer bottle in place. 

2. The technician already had gloves on as i came in and had needle out of the package laying on the tray

3. He never changed a new pair of gloves, and had touched a door handle, a chair and other items before proceeding with the test.

4. He did swipe the injection site with alcohol wipe, BUT then proceeded to touch the site with gloved hand again. He never disinfected the site after palpating it with those questionable gloves. 

Would it be possible to contract an infection from such procedure? 

Thank you!

While it does seem questionable and its a good lesson for next time - I wouldn't be overly concerned that your going to get an "infection". I'm sure you will be just fine.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#6 of 7 Old 05-24-2013, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I don't know the likely hood of infection, but I would call and make a report to the office about what happened. Sounds like they need to go over safety issues with their staff again.

#7 of 7 Old 05-24-2013, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

As a nurse, I agree - chances are you are not going to get any sort of infection. It's certainly possible, but unlikely. When it comes to venipuncture, breaks in technique happen all the time - it's a very tactile procedure and too many people were trained without gloves. Or are just careless. It rarely causes a problem, especially in healthy individuals. But that doesn't make it ok.

I would report it, though (and speak up if it happened in the future). If he already had the gloves on when you came in, you have no way of knowing if he even changed them between patients! And keep an eye on the site for any redness, swelling, or drainage for the next few days.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page