Give Antibiotics or Not. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-28-2013, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My DD has had a fever since late friday night. Her ears hurt really bad but were better by sunday, but then her back was sore so I brought her in to make sure it wasnt a kidney infection. They checked her ears which were barely red, and her urine test was fine. They gave me some antibiotics and told me to start her on them, but I wasnt comfortable at that time. My heart tells me its viral, and that the antibiotics will do nothing, but now we are on day 4 of really high fever like 104-105 without medication, my confidence is starting to get shaken. She only has a fever, aches, and a runny nose. Her earache is completely gone, and I have no idea why I would give her the antibiotcs other than to make myself feel better, even though if its viral it will do way more harm than good.

I am giving her tylenol when she gets too uncomfortable, and the fever comes down and she is able to eat, drink, and even play.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#2 of 11 Old 05-28-2013, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Poor punkin!  I'm so sorry she's sick.

I'd give the antibiotics.  I am not so sure that this is viral.  It sounds like the doctors checked her ears and her urine for bacteria, which is great, but the quick cultures sometimes come back negative even when there is a bacterial infection. In that case, infection would show on a longer culture - do you know if they were doing that?  Or did they just assume, hey, we gave her antibiotics, we're done here?  Her ears and her kidneys aren't the only locations for infection either.  104 is an unusually high fever for a run of the mill viral infection, and indicates that she's sick enough that, even if it is a virus, she may be prone to opportunistic follow-on infections that could be prevented by antibiotic treatment.

#3 of 11 Old 05-28-2013, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

They pretty much checked her lungs, throat, urine, and ears, (all of which were fine) and prescribed an antibiotic and sent us home. They cultured her urine but havent called me back about it yet. I am really uncomfortable giving her an antibiotic because I have crohn's disease and I dont want to mess up her gut. I know I can give her probiotics but that doesnt replace the hundreds of different probiotic bacteria, just a few strains, and it can take years for the gut to recover.

I have decided to start the antibiotics tomorrow morning if the fever hasnt broken on its own.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#4 of 11 Old 05-29-2013, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepyCat View Post

Poor punkin!  I'm so sorry she's sick.

I'd give the antibiotics.  I am not so sure that this is viral.  It sounds like the doctors checked her ears and her urine for bacteria, which is great, but the quick cultures sometimes come back negative even when there is a bacterial infection. In that case, infection would show on a longer culture - do you know if they were doing that?  Or did they just assume, hey, we gave her antibiotics, we're done here?  Her ears and her kidneys aren't the only locations for infection either.  104 is an unusually high fever for a run of the mill viral infection, and indicates that she's sick enough that, even if it is a virus, she may be prone to opportunistic follow-on infections that could be prevented by antibiotic treatment.

Sorry but I have to speak to this. This is a common misconception. How high a fever is is not an indication of how sick one is. A child can have a low grade fever and be seriously ill or have a very high fever and absolutely have a "run of the mill" virus. I have 1 child who gets very high (104+)  fevers whenever he is sick which is almost 99% of the time viral in nature. To the OP - personally I would hold off on the antibiotics for a few more days. I also do homeopathics and herbs/other alternative type things, so I would try those things first. Anyway I see your last post was over 24 hours ago how is she now?

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#5 of 11 Old 05-29-2013, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Well I gave in to pressure, and started antibiotics today. She was just suffering so much and there has been no improvement unless medicated with advil or tylenol, and I really started to worry about her. Just feverish, sweaty and sick looking. Other than when she had a nasty bout of norovirus at xmas, I have never seen her this ill in her 5 years. I am dosing her with probiotics, and the florastor will arrive tomorrow afternoon. I plan to make some yogurt in the crockpot for a more potent probiotics, and I also plan to head out of town to grab some kefir and some kombucha tea.

This was such a hard choice for me, as I usually let these things just run their course. I still dont feel right about it either way.

#6 of 11 Old 05-29-2013, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hugs Mama! Please don't think of it as giving into pressure, but rather using your mama intuition to do what's best for your little one. Hope she feels great soon!!
#7 of 11 Old 05-30-2013, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

aww mama. these things are sooo hard.

how is she doing now. she has had about 24 hours of antibiotics. is she at least rested and sleeping well?

at least you had a fall back. something else to see it would work. 

thankfully when dd had her earache it was serious enough to go to the ER so i didnt have to vascillate about giving her antibiotics or not. so i was spared the heartache. she was in severe pain and her ears were bleeding. 

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#8 of 11 Old 05-30-2013, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

OP, I hope your LO is feeling better. And if it's any comfort, a recent New York Times article on gut health reported that research has shown that after one round of antibiotics, gut health/flora can really bounce back. It's only repeated rounds that you have to start worrying... Trust me, I've looked into it & am worrying as my LO recently had to take abx back-to-back for a nasty strep infection that hit him twice. Ugh!

(Google the article -- it was a week ago last Sunday -- super interesting!)

No reason to beat yourself up!

Mama to my little busy bee. 

#9 of 11 Old 05-30-2013, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

She is slowly getting better. She was really well this morning and then the fever hit her at noon. The antibiotics are making her really nauseated too, so she is not so great right now. SHe has been napping off and on all day. Hopefully tomorrow will be even better.

#10 of 11 Old 08-02-2013, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How is she now. Did she fully recover? How is her digestion
#11 of 11 Old 08-02-2013, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

She is alright as far as I can tell. We gave her a ton of probiotics, and still do.

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page