would you let someone blow into your baby's ear? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-28-2013, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

someone recently did this and it drove me mad.  but since i always feel like im the only one who cares about everything little thing, i didnt say anything to the family member, so as not to be the nutty mom.  but it seriously drove me nuts.  babies can get viruses through the ears, right?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2013, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycmom18 View Post

someone recently did this and it drove me mad.  but since i always feel like im the only one who cares about everything little thing, i didnt say anything to the family member, so as not to be the nutty mom.  but it seriously drove me nuts.  babies can get viruses through the ears, right?

I honestly don't know, but if someone did that to my baby I'd probably say, "please don't"...because it's a little weird, yeah?

I figure we are the advocate for our little one, so anytime someone does something that makes us uncomfortable we can ask them not to. 

Old 05-28-2013, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I don't think an infection is really much of a concern, but the child being physically uncomfortable, frightened, or eardrum damage (depending on the strength and direction of the blowing) would be legitimate concerns, and I think you're perfectly justified in requesting that someone not do that.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:24 PM

I would insist the person stop and never do it again. It can damage the eardrum, and is weird.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

i completely agree with everyone and thank you!  but to be fair, i should say it wasnt exactly blowing like you do for bubbles it was like kissing/talking in his ear.  the family member however, did say they were blowing.  either way, it was so annoying, and normally i do speak up with anything, but i had already asked this one family member the previous weekends to not kiss his lips and or face cause they were sick etc, so i was already feeling like a "weirdo".  why do i have to feel weird about things that seem completely logical to me?? why would anyone hug and kiss a baby if they were sick?  anyway...thats another post!

Old 05-29-2013, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Omgosh! Are we the same person lol. I always feel like that too, and where's everyone else's common sense, right???
Don't kiss my kids on the lips (cuz I know where your lips have been! Yuck!), don't let my baby suck on your nasty fingers or go rubbing his gums if you haven't washed your hand either! Geez, the stupid and gross things ppl do sometimes.
But yea I wouldn't like it if someone was doing that to one of my kids, but would probably second guess myself just like you. So then I either quietly tell DH or text him secretly and tell him to tell them to quit!
If he wasn't there,I'd just blame him, and be like "oh, DH doesn't like when ppl do that, so please stop it" ykwim

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
Old 05-29-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycmom18 View Post

i completely agree with everyone and thank you!  but to be fair, i should say it wasnt exactly blowing like you do for bubbles it was like kissing/talking in his ear.  the family member however, did say they were blowing.  either way, it was so annoying, and normally i do speak up with anything, but i had already asked this one family member the previous weekends to not kiss his lips and or face cause they were sick etc, so i was already feeling like a "weirdo".  why do i have to feel weird about things that seem completely logical to me?? why would anyone hug and kiss a baby if they were sick?  anyway...thats another post!

Having some people think you're a weirdo=badge of honor :P

Seriously. People question everything  - sleeping decision, discipline decisions, food choices...

My mom visited when I had my DD and she arrived with a respiratory infection!!!! She was completely baffled that I wouldn't let her near the baby, and well, mad, too...but my mom being 100% happy with me all the time isn't as important as me being a mom to my daughter. Mom life. ;)

Tags
Health Healing
User Tag List