Possible Hep A exposure from Costco organic berries...WTD? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-31-2013, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just read this article http://www.9news.com/news/article/339142/188/Hepatitis-A-outbreak-linked-to-Costco-berries saying that a bunch of people have been getting sick from organic frozen mixed berries from Costco.  I've had smoothies every day this week with these berries!  I'm a little freaked out and the article says if you've eaten them within the last 14 days, you should get the Hep A vaccine to prevent getting sick from it.  I'm not a huge doctor or vaccine fan.  Do you think it's worth it to get the vaccine?  Is there a decent chance I'll become sick from the berries?  Also, my boyfriend had some too (just a tiny bit) and he doesn't have insurance--think he should spring for the vaccine?  

Single mama to DD 10/18/03 and DS 9/15/05 

#2 of 7 Old 06-01-2013, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I don't know much about hep A but a quick google search turns up info saying most adults don't get symptoms of it, some get mild symptoms. It suggests not drinking alcohol for a while if you think you've been exposed to it since that's hard on your liver. I'd just take care of myself and skip the vaccine. Possibly the people who have a hard time with it (get sick beyond "mild flu-like symptoms") aren't in the best health or have liver problems. 

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#3 of 7 Old 06-01-2013, 08:13 AM

Would the vaccine even prevent you from getting it post-exposure? I know when newborns are exposed to Hep B, they are given hep b immune globulin (HBIG) (and the vax, because they will clearly be around a positive individual).

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#4 of 7 Old 06-01-2013, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by womenswisdom View Post

Would the vaccine even prevent you from getting it post-exposure? I know when newborns are exposed to Hep B, they are given hep b immune globulin (HBIG) (and the vax, because they will clearly be around a positive individual).

The article says that it can prevent symptoms from showing up if you get it within 14 days--sounds like symptoms take awhile to show up.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evermom View Post

I don't know much about hep A but a quick google search turns up info saying most adults don't get symptoms of it, some get mild symptoms. It suggests not drinking alcohol for a while if you think you've been exposed to it since that's hard on your liver. I'd just take care of myself and skip the vaccine. Possibly the people who have a hard time with it (get sick beyond "mild flu-like symptoms") aren't in the best health or have liver problems. 

Thank you--this is exactly what I was looking for!  I am in pretty good health and don't drink much, so I think I'll skip the vaccine.  I'm glad my kids didn't have any of the berries!

Single mama to DD 10/18/03 and DS 9/15/05 

#5 of 7 Old 06-01-2013, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Yes, it worth getting a vaccines. Hep A is quiet common and it is not the last time you will be exposed.  I had Hep A and B vaccines. I felt nothing. If there was Hep C vaccine, I would get it tomorrow.

#6 of 7 Old 06-02-2013, 12:26 AM

That's a little scary that you can get Hep-A from eating organic berries......

"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh
#7 of 7 Old 06-02-2013, 12:34 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sativarain1 View Post

That's a little scary that you can get Hep-A from eating organic berries......

It follows a fecal-oral transmission route, so raw foods like salads and fruit that have been handled by workers with poor hand washing are a common method of transmission.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page