could this be mumps? - Mothering Forums
Women's Health > could this be mumps?
nycmom18's Avatar nycmom18 08:13 AM 06-13-2013

unvaccinated ds1, who just turned 5 yrs old, told me this morning that his tooth hurt.  about an hour later i noticed his right upper cheek was bigger than his left.  he says it doesnt hurt when he eats which is why i dont think its tooth related.  however, he doesnt seem to have any fever, he is hungry, but he still says that his upper jaw hurts when i touch it.  he didnt hurt himself yesterday either.  

from what ive been reading in my books, it seems like symptoms of mumps could go from mild to severe.  could he still have mumps even if the only symptom is a swollen painful jaw?

ive been treating him like hes sick with tea, vitamin c, herbs, rest and light food.  if it is mumps, is there anything else i can do to prevent and serious side effects? should i bring it up to his doctor just in case?

Mirzam's Avatar Mirzam 04:38 PM 06-13-2013

Mumps is an extremely mild childhood disease, so I wouldn't anticipate any serious side effects from them. Side effects almost exclusively occur in post pubescent males. I had mumps as a child and don't remember feeling bad at all, although my younger cousin had more serious case and looked like the man in the moon with a tooth ache but recoverd without ill effects. There really isn't any treatment for mumps, it is self limiting, and what you are doing seems just fine. A strong immune system will deal with mumps very effectively, and then your DS will have lifelong immunity. I am not sure what a conventional MD can do for mumps, except to scare you. Remember mothers have been nursing their children through mumps very successfully for a long, long time!

nycmom18's Avatar nycmom18 06:59 PM 06-13-2013
Thank you for the reassurance:) he's been feeling fine today except for the pain on his cheek. But how will I know this is for sure mumps? He doesn't have a fever. If it isn't mumps, what else could cause swelling? And if it is mumps, should I keep him home resting the entire duration of the illness even if he says he's fine to say go to the playground? Ah, so many questions, thank you for any thoughts:))
Mirzam's Avatar Mirzam 08:04 PM 06-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycmom18 View Post

Thank you for the reassurance:) he's been feeling fine today except for the pain on his cheek. But how will I know this is for sure mumps? He doesn't have a fever. If it isn't mumps, what else could cause swelling? And if it is mumps, should I keep him home resting the entire duration of the illness even if he says he's fine to say go to the playground? Ah, so many questions, thank you for any thoughts:))

As I said above, I was hardly sick at all with mumps which is the case for many people, it can be so mild that it is asymptomatic. If you really need to have it confirmed, then I guess you will have to take him to a dr for an IgM assay, but this could be fruitless because there might not be any IgM mumps antibodies dectable, so unless the dr is old enough to have seen routine cases of mumps, you might never know. It appears from the literature that mumps can be contagious up to five days after the symptoms have appeared, but the virus shedding decreases rapidly after the onset of symptoms. So, your call about taking him out, probably better to keep him in for a few days, unless you have friends with kids who would welcome mumps!

Tags: Health Healing
Up