Need advice on dd with a lump in vagina - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-18-2013, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hello all, I will try to be as concise as possible to keep this short.

A few months ago, my 9 1/2 year old dd started complaining of a feeling of a lump in her vagina. Not a lump that she found with her hand but like a heavy lump feeling inside. She feels it most when she is peeing, farting, and trying to fall asleep at night. It is not painful, just super annoying.

We do not have insurance. I took her to a nurse midwife first to get her take on it and she tested her urine, blood and did a physical exam. However, because my daughter is so immature down there, she wasn't able to see inside at all. It would be VERY uncomfortable for my dd for her to do an internal. She recommended I take her to the group of women gynecologists in the city.

We saw an OB/GYN who did her best to figure it out but in the end recommended doing an internal exam that would require my dd to go under general anesthesia. I tried to figure any other way around that but realized we really just need to do it to find out what this is.

We scheduled it and got to the office at 7 AM, all 5 kids in tow, only to be told at 8 that the anesthesiologist they had hired for the procedure was not aware that the patient was so young and refused to do it in an office and not at a surgery center.

So we are faced with paying upwards of $5000 to use the surgery instead of the OB office which would have been $2000. Keep in mind, this is only to find out what it is, not any type of treatment for it.

I guess I would like to know if anyone else has any ideas as to what this could be as well as advice on seeing someone else. We live outside of Austin, TX and there is a large children's medical center here. I am wondering if I should go that route instead of the OB since they specialize in children anyway.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have!

Jeana, wife to best friend, mom to 1 boy and 4 girls and another due Dec 2014.
#2 of 4 Old 06-18-2013, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is there any chance you could qualify for CHIP (kids Medicaid)? It would likely pay for all of that. If not, contact Dell children's hospital for all the pricing for self pay. Most things are heavily discounted if you can pay in full within a month. MRIs, ultrasounds and X-rays are 60% off if paid on the spot at Austin Radiological Associates. Austin regional clinic offers 25% off when paid within 30 days of billing.
#3 of 4 Old 06-18-2013, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For examples, ultrasound was around $60, and MRI is about $550 after discounts.
#4 of 4 Old 06-18-2013, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thank you!

Jeana, wife to best friend, mom to 1 boy and 4 girls and another due Dec 2014.

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page