Poll: Natural Bug Repellent? Which ones worked for you? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Which of these natural bug repellent brands have worked well for your family?
California Baby 5 35.71%
Celadon Road 0 0%
Ava Anderson 0 0%
Badger Balm 6 42.86%
Druide 0 0%
Natrapel 2 14.29%
doTerra 3 21.43%
Burt's Bees 4 28.57%
No Bite Me 0 0%
LuSa Organics 5 35.71%
Mommy Care 0 0%
Big Tub Botanicals 0 0%
The Honest Company 0 0%
Shaklee 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 06-19-2013, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Hello mamas!

I'm pulling together a list of great natural bug repellents for those of us who want to avoid deet (and NOT get eaten alive) this summer. :) 

I asked for recommendations on our facebook page and received a bunch of different brand suggestions.

Please take a moment to vote in the poll and tell us if any of these brands have worked well for your family. If you don't see the brand you use on here please just post it in the thread. If you use your own recipe please share that as well!

OR leave your reviews in our Bug Repellent Reviews Section---I will look there as well before pulling the list together. And leaving a review before the 25th of June will enter you into our Skin Care Reviews contest. I you haven't already head over to this thread and find out about the great products you can win by leaving your reviews!

Thanks for your feedback everyone! 

#2 of 14 Old 06-19-2013, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Our family uses "Don't Bug Me" available as a soap or gel from Texadus Family Farm, a local organic farm in the area. It works very well, as well as being good after-care for bites if you've forgotten to use it before. They also take orders/ship and their products are amazing!

Melanie Mayo likes this.
#3 of 14 Old 06-20-2013, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

None of the above. I use Pegasus Products 'Pests' for both people and animals. Its a flower/gem essense combo so as safe as anything can be. It comes in spray and drops. Kids take a few drops internally every day, and the doggy gets his drops in his water. It works, the dog hasn't ever needed tick/flee or heartworm meds, and has never had a flee on him, and the humans don't get bitten by mosquitos. My DS is currently in Costa Rica on a soccer trip, and the essence combo is all he is using to ward off the mozzies.

Melanie Mayo likes this.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#4 of 14 Old 06-20-2013, 02:14 PM

Yike. To each his own, but I wanted to share this article with you. It is about one of the ingredients in that Pegasus gem/flower essence. 

http://www.nanomedicine.com/NMIIA/15.1.1.htm

Not, trying to scare you away from it, but the more you know, right? 

#5 of 14 Old 06-20-2013, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom4 View Post

Yike. To each his own, but I wanted to share this article with you. It is about one of the ingredients in that Pegasus gem/flower essence. 

http://www.nanomedicine.com/NMIIA/15.1.1.htm

Not, trying to scare you away from it, but the more you know, right? 

You obviously have absolutely no idea what flower and gem essences are, if you did you wouldn't have posted the above link because it is irrelevant. Maybe you should have known more before you posted. 

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#6 of 14 Old 06-20-2013, 02:54 PM

I admit I do not know much about these essences and I do not discount them. I was just reading ingredients and started researching as I do most products. I see now the essence is made by putting the gems in water. 

You're right I should have known more. 

mum4vr likes this.
#7 of 14 Old 06-24-2013, 03:15 PM

saving for later

We need to find a good one.

#8 of 14 Old 06-26-2013, 12:11 PM

Great idea!  We have had pretty mediocre performance with ours.  I'll have to try Badger!  Thanks!

#9 of 14 Old 06-26-2013, 01:18 PM

Absolutely, hands-down, Ava Anderson. It's my absolute favorite product in the entire line! It's based on catnip (which is 10x MORE effective than toxic DEET is!), repels ticks, mosquitoes, bees, flys, ants and gnats, smells amazing and doesn't stain! Message me if you'd like more information or at www.AvaAndersonMA.com.

For the SAFEST and BEST personal care products, without harmful chemicals visit www.AvaAndersonMA.com.

#10 of 14 Old 07-06-2013, 04:56 AM

We have been using a combination of the California Baby bug repellant and the summertime lotion (which also had bug repellant properties to it) and have had great luck when using both together. I was just looking for the summertime lotion, but it seems that they discontinued that product, which is too bad.

Another bug spray that we have is called Buzz Away, by Quantum Health. We have not used it much, but it seems to work well.

Would love to find a natural bug repellant that kept deer ticks at bay. We live in CT, and I have found 4 deer ticks on my 2 year old in just 3 weeks. Bugs love him. If anyone has any suggestions for the deer tick repellant, please message me. I do not check threads often. Thanks so much!

Shane mama to three boys!! Wife to an amazing man.
#11 of 14 Old 07-11-2013, 10:42 AM

None of the above, and extra especially absolutely under no circumstances would I touch anything from doTERRA MLM.

For a couple of years we used Druide Citronella Insect-Repellent Milk, but it just didn't last very long.

Now we use Citrobug spray and are super happy with it.

And we have serious insects in the mountains in Québec.

ian'smommaya likes this.
#12 of 14 Old 07-12-2013, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

None of the above. I use Pegasus Products 'Pests' for both people and animals. Its a flower/gem essense combo so as safe as anything can be. It comes in spray and drops. Kids take a few drops internally every day, and the doggy gets his drops in his water. It works, the dog hasn't ever needed tick/flee or heartworm meds, and has never had a flee on him, and the humans don't get bitten by mosquitos. My DS is currently in Costa Rica on a soccer trip, and the essence combo is all he is using to ward off the mozzies.

this sounds interesting although I cannot find it in a spray on their website?

just the drops......are the drops enough?

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#13 of 14 Old 07-12-2013, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KistheMum View Post

None of the above, and extra especially absolutely under no circumstances would I touch anything from doTERRA MLM.

For a couple of years we used Druide Citronella Insect-Repellent Milk, but it just didn't last very long.

Now we use Citrobug spray and are super happy with it.

And we have serious insects in the mountains in Québec.

I googled Citrobug spray and got nothing???

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#14 of 14 Old 07-12-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

I googled Citrobug spray and got nothing???

It's made by Héloïse Laboratoire here in Québec.  Their website is http://heloiselab.com .  Not sure why google wouldn't pick up the product name on their website.  It did make me check the spelling a couple of times.  LOL  We buy from a local store we like to support, but it can be purchased direct on their website.  At $9.99 a bottle, this bottle will probably last us the rest of summer at the rate we are going.  That's for two adults and a child.  Sometimes we spray some around on the deck.  A little goes a long ways.

Tags
Health Healing , Natural Bug Blend Bug Repellent Spray

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page