Gross Question, sorry - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-24-2013, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
This question doesn't really fit into any of the health sub-forums, and I can't find any info on the internet. I am having a colonoscopy tomorrow (sorry, TMI already!), and I am sort of lightly concerned about my intestinal flora. I feel like I have been cultivating this patch for 55 years, and I am happy enough with the results. I am sure I harbor bacterial strains from 4 continents. I am not having any symptoms that prompted the doc to recommend this procedure - it is routine at my age. Don't laugh; you will get old some day too! I have never had digestive problems, even when I lived in areas with questionable water and hygiene. I happily ignored (within reason) most common precautions to travelers about "don't drink the water" and like that. My retirement plans include much more travelling, including to developing countries. Will this near-sterilization of my innards set me up (lacking the protective bacterial strains that have been flourishing for so long) for new suseptability to enteric distress that I have been so lucky to avoid for so long? Will I become one of those wimpy tourists who won't eat salads or raw fruit and veggies? Will I have to buy bottled water for the first time in my life? I am a little bit radical and vocal about my anti-anti-bacterial feelings. I feel strongly that the current craze for near-obsessive hand-washing is weakening our natural bacterial defenses. So it sort of fits that I am concerned about my intestinal flora having to start all over again. I have never had any sort of invasive medical procedure before. Maybe I am just over-thinking this whole issue? Am I just trying to talk myself out of a humiliating, slightly scary procedure?

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#2 of 6 Old 06-24-2013, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I've never had a colonoscopy, so forgive my ignorance on the subject, but isn't it just the scope and air that goes in? I'm not sure what you mean by "near-sterilization." Are you referring to the prep, with laxatives and such? Also, the large intestine is only one-fifth of your entire bowel system, so even if the procedure somehow rid your colon of good flora, I would imagine that the flora from the other four-fifths would quickly repopulate the section they examine. Or are good gut flora not present in the small intestine?

I'd be nervous too -- good luck, we'll all be in your shoes one day!

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#3 of 6 Old 06-24-2013, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I have been told probiotics is the wonder drug for intentinal bacteria. I cant remember where I read it but a doctor from England travelled to questionable area and he was the only one on probiotics and he was the one that didn't get anything.

take it for what its worth.

I am catching up with your age soon, but thankfully (or whichever way you see it) since I don't have medical insurance I can bury my head under the sand.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#4 of 6 Old 06-24-2013, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I don't see how it could; the stuff you drink is basically salt water. Even heavy duty antibiotics leave enought to repopulate, right? FWIW dh says he's taken care of a lot of people after and never noticed any indications that it would have that effect.
Your bacteria sure has an impressive pedigree! Reminds me of the descriptions when you buy a sourdough starter. wink1.gif
BeckyBird likes this.
#5 of 6 Old 06-24-2013, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I sent this to my mom the other day. It has some tips to minimize risk

http://empoweredsustenance.com/skip-the-colonoscopy/
#6 of 6 Old 06-25-2013, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Well, I think if I had seen that link sooner, I would have skipped the whole procedure. 

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page