Very Worried- Diarrhea during pregnancy - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-26-2013, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was just wondering if anyone else experienced severe diarrhea and stomach pain during early pregnancy. I have had bouts of diarrhea (7-9 times a day) and a burning stomach pain every day for the past 50 days or so; i am currently 6-7 weeks pregnant. The OB office has done stool samples, UA's, and blood tests... my thyroid comes back okay, i have tested negative for parasites and different bacterias. They had me cut diary products out of my diet and I'm also currently on the BRAT diet. (Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast). They also had me start taking Imodium up to the maximum dose daily (which i took for four days with no change in movement). A few days ago they sent me to the ER for IV fluids, and they wrote me out a prescription medication for something similar to Imodium where you take the pills twice a day. So now i am taking those daily and am down to two bouts of diarrhea a day but they have done NOTHING for this burning pain in my stomach. They said that it could just be hormones... but i don't believe giving me a medication to stop bowel movement could be healthy to take on a daily basis. I was really hoping to have this pregnancy medication free and natural... but they have not been able to tell me anything other than what ISN'T wrong. I have had to see five different doctors because they pass me around because they have no answers. I was really hoping that SOMEONE has had the same experience and could tell me that sometimes this is normal in early pregnancy! Also, i have a five year old daughter and i wasn't sick at all when i was pregnant with her. If anyone has any advice/suggestions/experiences.... I'm pretty much desperate for answers... and for the pain to stop. Thanks.

#2 of 5 Old 06-28-2013, 02:46 PM

I'm so sorry you're going through this! One day at a time, eh? I haven't experienced diarrhea during pregnancy, but the other end - I had Hyperemesis Gravidarum. I (painfully) understand that we have one idea of how we'd like our pregnancy to go, and then reality comes and kicks our butt. So while you're trying to get to the bottom of what's going on, try not to let the stop-gap measures get you down. Mothering is sacrifice, right? (9 months of anti-emetics, IVs and so on, and still got a baby out of the deal ;) ) Persistance is key, and even though they're passing you around like a smelly sock be grateful they're giving up when they don't know the answers - it means you're one doctor closer to finding the answer, right? 

Also BUMP, anyone have any help? :)

#3 of 5 Old 06-28-2013, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much! I finally went to the ER and "planted" myself there refusing to leave. After the ER doctor overcame his anger and ego.. he started running tests. While test results were pending, he took a guess and started me on a treatment plan. When all is said and done, his guess turned out to be true and i was diagnosed with C. Diff. Colitis. At this point it is very severe and life threatening. I have been given IV fluids twice, and am taking IV antibiotics in pill form that are extremely rare. They also performed a pelvic ultra sound and i am showing sign of early miscarriage... but we are still hopeful that with the proper treatment in place, the baby can still survive. Thank you very much for your response, it gives me hope.

#4 of 5 Old 06-28-2013, 11:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Wow, that sounds disturbing.  I hope your treatment is effective.

#5 of 5 Old 06-29-2013, 10:06 AM

Hang in there!! My motto is one day at a time, repeat that when you have to. :) I hope you are feeling a bit better now that treatment is underway, and that baby is going strong. Keep us posted!

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page