Mothering Forum banner

Umbilical hernia

624 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  otheramerica 
#1 ·
I'm having surgery next week to repair an umbilical hernia and a separation of my lower abdominal muscles. I have to be back at work for an IEP meeting 6 days post-op, and I'm a little worried. Anyone else had this procedure done? How was your recovery?

#2 ·
Can you please update us after your surgery? I am needing to do this too, but keep putting it off. My neighbor had abdominoplasty years ago and said the recovery was quite painful. I can't image it is any worse than a c-section, which wasn't too bad for me. All I took after mine was ibuprofen. Sending you healing vibes!!!
smile.gif

#3 ·
So I'm 2 days post-op. I was about a 5/6 on a 10 point pain scale the day of surgery and most of yesterday. To make matters worse I threw up everything I tried to eat yesterday. Luckily my brother is a dr so he called in a prescription for anti-nausea meds. I was feeling very dizzy and dehydrated. Today (after 2 does of anti-nausea meds) I've been feeling much better. Only taking my percocet every 8 hours instead of every 4, and I've kept everything down.

For me the surgery has been worth it. It hurts, but my hernia hurt too. The pain at this point is somewhere between bad cramps and day after a really hard ab workout. I feel confident that I will be able to go back to work on Tuesday with minimal pain. I was worried all the time about my intestines getting stuck in the hole and now I don't have to worry about that anymore. If you have a few days that you can get someone to completely care for your kids, it's worth it. You won't be able to do anything for them for the first few days. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.