Shingles? Bug bites? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-30-2013, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A couple of days ago I noticed a strange cluster of bumps between my neck and my left shoulder blade. I couldn't get a good look at them, so I asked my daughter to look and she said they looked kinda like pimples. At first they didn't really hurt or itch, and I really don't remember how they caught my attention. By that evening, they were somewhat more inflamed, and DP said he thought it looked like a cluster of spider bites. The next day I didn't feel myself. I was exhausted and lethargic, and I had extreme skin sensitivity along the inside of my left arm. It was excruciating to feel fabric brush the skin around the rash or along my arm (this has lessened, but isn't gone completely). The lymph node on the left side of my neck also became (and remains) enlarged and tender. That night I took a Benadryl before bed. The next day, yesterday, the arm sensitivity was improved but otherwise things remained about the same. The pain and irritation of the rash itself has actually gotten somewhat worse. It's hard to not touch or scratch at it, my hand is drawn there unconsciously. I can't wear clothing that touches it or let my hair touch it without a lot of discomfort.

Anyway, I thought the onset of pain in shingles was supposed to precede the appearance of a rash. Also, if it is shingles, this would seem to be a pretty mild case. Is that likely? I'm also about 27 weeks pregnant. I'm thinking of making a dr's appointment tomorrow, but not sure because I'm not established with a doctor so it'd be a new patient appointment. I also don't want to take any drugs unless absolutely necessary. I started taking elderberry yesterday.

Any ideas? Similar experiences?

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#2 of 4 Old 07-01-2013, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Has anyone had shingles?

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#3 of 4 Old 07-03-2013, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

No feedback? Too bad greensad.gif

#4 of 4 Old 07-03-2013, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

I'm not sure how helpful this is, but I've had shingles and one of the tricky things is that shingles can present differently in different people. I had all of the symptoms described here: http://www.mayoclinic.org/shingles/symptoms.html. The rash was sensitive to the touch (e.g. I couldn't comfortably put a shirt over where the rash was), but the pain was not so much at the skin level, it was a deeper pain. For shingles, in terms of natural remedies, what I found most helpful was cold compresses with baking soda.

Were you able to see a doctor?

I hope you feel better soon. smile.gif

PS Congratulations on pregnancy!

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page