4 year old not gaining weight - please help - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-26-2004, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi - I'm guessing this is the place to put this.

My 4.5 year old has always been small (although she was average weight when she was born). She's on about the 10%ile for height.

I'm small myself, so I've never really worried about it.

But she was last weighed at the health visitor's when she was 4 years old and she weighed 30 lbs. Now, 6 months later, she's found my bathroom scales and loves to weigh herself on them - on those, she's been fluctuating between 29-30 lbs.

I'm pretty sure the scales are accurate, as they are weighing my 3 year old 31 lbs (and she was around 29-30 lbs when they were both weighed at the health visitor's).

So DD1 has not gaine at all and/or lost a pound, while DD2 has gained 1-2 lbs. (DD2 is about 50%ile for both height and weight by the way).

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking about making a doctor's appointment, but I don't know what they woudl tell me. I give them full fat milk and push the avocadoes. She doesn't eat much junk, but she has free rein (for the most part) to eat whatever's in the house whenever she wants it - she's helping herself to food much of the day (the really like dry breakfast cereal).

Any ideas would be appreciated. It's really starting to worry me...
#2 of 5 Old 04-26-2004, 08:02 AM

Would you be concerned if you didn't have a scale?
Are there other indications of a problem or is she healthy, active, growing in height and developing well?

My oldest is quite small too. He hasn't gained much in the past year & it fluctuates based on if he's been sick or whatever.
rebecca_n likes this.
#3 of 5 Old 04-26-2004, 01:15 PM

1lb is not alot, especially since it flucuates. Was your older dd wearing thicker clothes when she was weighed? Due to the warmer weather, has she been more active?

All my kids are small. My oldest doesn't gain weight for 6-8months and then will gain a couple pounds.
#4 of 5 Old 04-26-2004, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Our son (aged 5.5 years old) is another lightweight. He has not gained much weight in the last year, but has shot up in height by over 3". He is healthy (had his first sniffles this past Winter that lasted two days!), and seems to live on AIR! The other day, he weighed himself and was at 38#. He's been that same weight ((+ or - lb)) for a year.

We measured him last week, and he actually grew 1" in the last month!!!

He is not a big eater. Like you, we give him free rein on whatever he wants. He will only eat very small portions of even his favorite foods. This is a child that will never stuff himself on anything! Even things like chocolate or other sweets. He'll take a couple of bites of a candy bar, and put the rest of it away in the fridge to eat later. ((This drives me crazy, as I do not have that kind of will power!!))

I have quit worrying about this. He is developing at an incredible rate mentally & emotionally. Physically, he is just a lightweight, not unhealthy. I'd rather he be picky and slender, than having a chunky child.

I took him to a well-child visit with a new physician ((we don't vax and we finally found a doc that respects this, and just wanted to get aquainted. It was the only well-child visit we'll be doing)) and that doc said not to worry about him, he's developing just fine, and he asked about what my husband's build is like instead. Dh is 6'5" and 200 slender pounds. I am 5'2" and 105. So, our son is just taking after us. He said, "Go home and worry about things other G. He's just fine!"

So, we did!!!

As regards you child, I wouldn't worry if she is healthy and normal in her other development. Did the health care worker seem concerned? I'd say look at your daughter's genetic make-up, and base your assessment on THAT. If everyone in both sides of the family are on the slender side, then she is just following suit!
#5 of 5 Old 04-27-2004, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies and reassurances - it's nice to know that DD isn't the only small child out there!

She's developing fine, is healthy and recently did grow a wee bit taller (she's never going to be tall, but I've just had to give all of her old dresses to her sister, as she's too tall for them now) - so I guess she is just going to be slight.

Which I knew, but I kind of thought she needed to be gaining weight (at least slowly) all the time...7 months seemed a long time to go with no weight gain. Of course, she did get weighed around midday with clothes on (and after at least having breakfast), and she tends to weigh herself in the morning now, before breakfast, while I'm having a shower. So maybe that had something to do with it.

Thanks again for the replies - I feel better now!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page