Repellant for fleas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-16-2013, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looking for a natural remedy or profuct for my kids. We are staying in a house for the next month that is infested with fleas. A dog lives here normally but doesn't now. Every night my kids go to bed and get bitten while their falling asleep - nice! And then wake up in the morning with new bites. I have bites too. I'd like to rub something (a lotion? An oil?) on my babies after bath every night. Suggestions for something gentle and non toxic enough to use every day?
Many thanks in advance for any info smile.gif

Mommy to one beautiful boy, born 9/28/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2013, 07:23 PM

Oh dear! I can't think of any product to put on people. I think you're going to have to look at mechanical means to rid them from the house.

I'd do soapy water/warm light methods to trap them, Diatomaceous Earth in carpets, vacuuming frequently (you have to get rid of the bag each time though....), etc. You have to keep going because new ones will hatch out of eggs even if you've trapped the adults. They lay 100's of eggs.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Old 07-19-2013, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Diatomaceous earth....my mother swears by it.
I would use it on any floor surface, under base boards and so on.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Why would you stay in a place like that and subject your children to flea bites on purpose???

Old 07-21-2013, 11:41 PM

We had a flea problem in out last home & my infant daughter got a few bites (me too). I bought Avon Skin-So-Soft bath oil online & added a small amount to her bath water. Skin-So-Soft is a home remedy bug repellant, it smells nice, gentle on sensitive skin and seemed to help us.

I've read about more natural tricks, like putting dried lavender under the bed/crib but never tried it.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

Diatomaceous earth will kill eggs if left on the ground long enough bc it will create pinholes in the "shell" and basically dehydrate them.  Problem is it can take 1-2 mos for a decent kill off to occur.  Focus on dark areas, ie carpets, under furniture, under cushions and into the wells of couches and chairs - that's where fleas congregate and lay eggs.  It has to be one hell of an infestation for the fleas to actually LIVE off of the dog - they usually live on the host and jump off when it's too crowded.  We had them last year when a neighbor was harboring raccoon in her attic and they were running along the tree line between our houses at night to the woods.  I doused my house with a combination DE and borate powder (lasts longer in terms of killing power but same concept as DE).  Garlic helps tremendously, take a bit of time to build up in the system but I use it in lieu of topical flea/tick products for my dogs and when they are on it (I was behind schedule starting them on the mega doses last year, thus the fleas) we have zero ticks, fleas, or any other biting critters.  Humans can take a garlic supplement too.  There are also essential oil sprays that can be used to deter them including clove, lemongrass, tea tree, rosemary, sage, cedarwood, citronella, pine....they all use different combinations but work quite well.  Yu can get some good child/pet safe DE/borate for the house at onlynaturalpet.com

Old 07-23-2013, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yikes! I would try the skin so soft lotion as well. Lots of garlic in the diet should help as well. Fleas SUCK. Literally. :-(

Good luck!!

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

Tags
Health Healing
User Tag List