Antacid for 11 month old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-13-2013, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So my ds 11 months is anemic. I gave a supplement that destroyed his tummy abd then had to give prevesec sp? To fix it well after a month his tummy still isn't better any ideas on more natural ways to fix this? I have changed his diet to help with anemia.
#2 of 5 Old 08-13-2013, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Some more information may be helpful.

What type of anemia?  

How was this diagnosed?

Is he a vegetarian?

What was the supplement that messed up his tummy?

What exactly happened?  Did he get an ulcer?

The one thing that I can say is that antacids are not good for anyone except for a short time if there is need.  An example:  1 or 2 weeks to help heal an ulcer or irritation from gastric reflux - while also doing work to remedy the situation that led to the damage.  Then the stomach acid needs to be brought to its proper pH so it can function well.  Unfortunately, our medical schools teach a very different thought and antacids are commonly recommended and prescribed.  

Some info:

Our stomach lining needs to have high acid content in the stomach, or else h.pylori had get a foothold in the tissues and can lead to ulceration.  Reducing acid means we cannot digest and utilize our food well, especially proteins.  Reducing acid invites bacteria and parasites into our system . . . normally they would not survive past the stomach acid unless they are certain probiotics that live in acidic conditions (think home fermented pickles, yogurt, sauerkraut, etc.).  Low acid in the stomach contributes to GERD and heartburn and headaches associated with drinking water or mineral rich foods.

I'm sorry to hear your little one is not feeling well.  That's so hard to go through!

ian'smommaya likes this.
#3 of 5 Old 08-13-2013, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Ok so here is more info
He had a heel test then had that followed up with a full blood draw and has since had another blood test that showed the levels raised one point we are dir to go back in a few weeks to make sure levels still go up more.

My dr said he was too low to do just a diet change so he took a liquid iron supplement , ferrous sulfate iron supplement drops. He way hysterical by day 2, a little nauseated not much but loose stool. I called dr they said it was a bug by the next day he was a wreck I took him to a walk in clinic. That dr listened to his stomach and was like oh my listen to this, I listened his tummy was gurgling horrible she said it is the iron take him off change diet for anemia and she said he needed Prevacid to heal his stomach and we did it totally worked . So then my dr called and said I saw the report from the clinic dr and she is wrong put him back on Iron. I refused. However now a month later once we stopped the Prevacid he is doing the arching screaming freakibg out while nursing thing again. Do I put him back on Prevacid ? Should he be checked for an ulcer?

Thanks for your help!
#4 of 5 Old 08-15-2013, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Hmmm, I am not a doctor and cannot give medical advice, but . . . I would hesitate to put my baby on prevacid.  Your baby will need all the stomach acid he can muster in order to absorb and use iron.  I wonder if the prevacid needed to be gradually taken away, rather than  stopping all at once?  Do you have an herbalist or naturopath in your area that you can talk to?  They may be able to shed some light on the situation.  

Iron supplements often cause nausea and upset tummies, constipation and sometimes diarrhea. You can read more about it below.  I don't think his tummy was "destroyed" as long as he was getting the proper dose and not being overdosed.  It's just that many iron supplements are not easy on adults - even harsher on babies, especially if given on an empty stomach.  I'm sure there are many threads on MDC about ways to increase your iron with foods and more gentle supplements that don't cause tummy hurts.  It does sound like whatever you are giving him is not sitting well.  Iron is very important, but there are ways of increasing iron without causing discomfort and pain.  (changing supplements, taking them with food, reducing dose and slowly working up to dr. recommended dose, etc)

Side note:  Screaming/arching back while nursing can be a sign of teething.  Those first molars in the kids always took me by surprise.  Could that be part of what's going on?

Quote:
Therapeutic doses of iron supplements, which are prescribed for iron deficiency anemia, may cause gastrointestinal side effects such as nausea, vomiting, constipation, diarrhea, dark colored stools, and/or abdominal distress [33]. Starting with half the recommended dose and gradually increasing to the full dose will help minimize these side effects. Taking the supplement in divided doses and with food also may help limit these symptoms. Iron from enteric coated or delayed-release preparations may have fewer side effects, but is not as well absorbed and not usually recommended [64].

#5 of 5 Old 08-15-2013, 11:32 AM

That sounds awful!
I just typed a small book about hydrochloric acid and iron deficiency and then my post was erased and now my baby is awake...I'll try to sum it up quick.
Low hcl is associated with iron deficiency, so taking an antacid is kinda the opposite of what would help your little.
Google iron deficiency and low hydrochloric acid for more pithy info, but what is likely happening is the low hcl is causing a few things...

Poor breakdown of food because certain enzymes are dependent on hcl to "activate" this partial breakdown leads to the larger particles to ferment, creating a secondary acid- that's the one that burns.

Poor breakdown of food= poor absorption of, well everything, including iron, because the particles are just too big to pass through the intestinal lining.

And, low hcl causes poor tone in the mucous membrane lining of the stomach which allows secondary acids and gas to irritate and ulcerate the stomach-as pp mentioned. Low tone can also contribute to heartburn because the the stomach gets kinda 'flabby' for lack of a better word and allows the gas and acid to push against the sphincter in the esophagus.

Herbs can help. Find a clinical herbalist, or look into dandelion root tincture for raising hcl levels.

Also look into food based rather than synthetic iron, I take one made of nothing but beets and oranges with no stomach/digestive trouble whatsoever. I don't know about a specific children's iron, though, because its so easily overdosed. That's why I would go for food.

Prevacid may need to be weaned off next time, I took it for a few years for acid reflux and had to wean after a disastrous cold turkey event.

The things you're describing sound like they are pointing to low hcl. I personally (as someone who had reflux for 20 years before healing it with acupuncture) would try alternative solutions before going down the path of proton pump inhibitors, antacids, and synthetic or manufactured supplements. The western docs told me I would simply have to take Prevacid for the rest of my life...which would have been disastrous to the rest of my system long term.

Sorry if this is bossy sounding. It's only because I'm in a hurry to keep a baby happy!

Good luck, I really hope things ease up for you both!

Yurt livin mama with three free range wild things 11/05, 10/07, and a wee new squish 7/13, and one two three four five little angels. Knitting junkie, sewing obsessed. Falls asleep to the sound of coyotes singing.

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page