Callused cracking dry feet - vitamin deficiency? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-13-2013, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi there,

I have had an issue with dry callused cracking feet for most of my life, but its definitely gotten worse in the past 5 years or so. 

They bother me a lot, get caught on the sheets or clothing, and I want to find a solution.

Feels like i have tried everything. Its not just from walking barefoot because when i make a conscious effort to wear shoes it does not go away. 

I have tried consistent warm water soaks with epsom salt, ACV, and EOs. I have a pumice stone that i used to gently scrub whenever i am in the shower. I even purchased a callus shaver that i use when i have time to do a full soak. I have tried using coconut oil, organic vegetable shortening, and other lotions but have found no relief. 

i would love to hear of another suggestions or natural approaches you might have. But also, i am curious if this is linked to some sort of vitamin or mineral deficiency. I have never seen anyone with feet as bad as mine. 

#2 of 7 Old 08-13-2013, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I had a friend who claimed that these kinds of cracks in heels result from candida, and said as soon as she switched to a diet free of sugar, her heels were healed.  However, she was a raw food vegan, and in my opinion she still ate a lot of sugar in the form of dried fruits and date sugar, but her diet was pretty rich in vegetables and nuts.

I personally have had better luck with healing my own cracks by taking fish oil supplements and a vitamin D supplement.  I had much better skin this past winter, and that's the main thing I think I did differently.  If I get cracks in my heels that are painful, I do usually treat it with tea tree oil and it clears right up, but I am finding less cracking even though I still have a heavy callous on my heels. 

#3 of 7 Old 08-14-2013, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

What type of shoes do you wear

#4 of 7 Old 08-14-2013, 12:32 PM

I never thought it could be a mineral or vitmain defiency. I've dealt with the same thing but it's mostly from wearing inexpensive flip flops all summer. Does yours get better in the winter?

"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh
#5 of 7 Old 08-14-2013, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

They are the same all year round.
#6 of 7 Old 08-14-2013, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
My feet get terrible cracks sometimes. I find though that it happens when my diet is worse. If I cut down processed foods and add good fats like chia they are healed within weeks without me doing anything to my feet directly.

I read something once that when you are deficient in omega fatty acids the cells get stickier and dead cells in skin tend to stick and not be shed. Once you are more balanced they shed normally.

Udo in his book recommends an "oil change" where you consume 3 tbs of good oil like flax or chia a day for a month. I tried it and it wad like my skin was recreated in the most amazing way.

I must do that again!!
#7 of 7 Old 08-14-2013, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Mine cleared up when I took gluten out of my diet - even though it was summer and I was wearing sandals all the time.

It was an unexpected benefit.

I did have multiple deficiencies caused by the gluten messing me up so much that I wasnt absorbing all the nutrion I was consuming. Supplements didn't help because I couldn't absorb from them either.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page