Freaking out about LEEP, help? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-11-2013, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

The hospital just called to schedule my LEEP and I found out they don't do it under anesthesia. I'm freaking out because I have anxiety issues, especially over medical stuff and every story I've read about it they've done it under anesthesia! So why wouldn't this place? I feel like it's because it's a military hospital and they'd rather save the money, honestly. I have an option to get "counseling" and try to convince them to do it under anesthesia in November or I can do it not under anesthesia but with valium on the 19th. I'm freaking out, help me decide what to do and share stories if you've done it either way! 

Oh and this is a post and run, have to take the kid to speech, be back later..

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#2 of 8 Old 09-11-2013, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)

I don't remember any anesthesia...  It was a simple outpatient procedure.  

Frankly, I don't remember enough, butI would have remembered any real pain, and there wasn't any.  I was more disconcerted by the grounding patch they put on your leg.  It certainly wasn't worse than a colposcopy, and the electrical incisions are mostly painless, even less so than the biopsy.  But, like I said, that was over a decade ago, and my brain doesn't remember the sensations clearly.  Because I remember the pain from the colposcopies so vividly and not this, I think it was as easy as I remember.

You'll do fine.  Good luck!  For me, the LEEP was the end of my abnormal paps, the end of those annoying colposcopies, though it took a few years for that to sink in.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#3 of 8 Old 09-11-2013, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

I don't remember any anesthesia...  It was a simple outpatient procedure.  

Frankly, I don't remember enough, butI would have remembered any real pain, and there wasn't any.  I was more disconcerted by the grounding patch they put on your leg.  It certainly wasn't worse than a colposcopy, and the electrical incisions are mostly painless, even less so than the biopsy.  But, like I said, that was over a decade ago, and my brain doesn't remember the sensations clearly.  Because I remember the pain from the colposcopies so vividly and not this, I think it was as easy as I remember.

You'll do fine.  Good luck!  For me, the LEEP was the end of my abnormal paps, the end of those annoying colposcopies, though it took a few years for that to sink in.

Thank you, this makes me feel better. What was your CIN level? I'm concerned because I had 2 colposcopies 3 months apart, they found CIN 1 and 2 in the first set and CIN 1, 2 and 3 in the second set..will they only remove the 2 and 3 but leave the 1's to get worse? Ughhh...

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#4 of 8 Old 09-11-2013, 09:50 AM

I had 2 colposcopies.  The first was "watch and wait".  I don't remember the levels.  The second one led to the LEEP, with several questionable areas.  So, I'm not sure how to answer that.  It would be frustrating if I knew they were leaving something questionable, but what they are seeing in the colposcopy isn't necessarily even precancerous.  It is suspicious.  The ones they want to remove have advanced past that stage and are possibly precancerous.  The abnormalities can come and go.  This is why when we have abnormal paps, we keep going back. And after the LEEP, you will continue going back until you can have a string of normal paps.

It is all very stressful, I know.  Just understand that this cervical "stuff" is imminently treatable with the kind of screenings we do and the procedures, like the LEEP.  As frustrating and stressful as it is, the chances of developing full-blown cervical cancer with the kind of diligence we are practicing are insanely low.  

#5 of 8 Old 09-11-2013, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

I had 2 colposcopies.  The first was "watch and wait".  I don't remember the levels.  The second one led to the LEEP, with several questionable areas.  So, I'm not sure how to answer that.  It would be frustrating if I knew they were leaving something questionable, but what they are seeing in the colposcopy isn't necessarily even precancerous.  It is suspicious.  The ones they want to remove have advanced past that stage and are possibly precancerous.  The abnormalities can come and go.  This is why when we have abnormal paps, we keep going back. And after the LEEP, you will continue going back until you can have a string of normal paps.

It is all very stressful, I know.  Just understand that this cervical "stuff" is imminently treatable with the kind of screenings we do and the procedures, like the LEEP.  As frustrating and stressful as it is, the chances of developing full-blown cervical cancer with the kind of diligence we are practicing are insanely low.  

I'm more stressed out than normal because I'm getting divorced, losing tricare and won't be able to afford health insurance for myself. :(

#6 of 8 Old 09-11-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah_mae_ View Post

I'm more stressed out than normal because I'm getting divorced, losing tricare and won't be able to afford health insurance for myself. :(

I hear you on the health insurance.  Haven't had it in nearly 2 years (but luckily no procedures-- I guess 44 still isn't such a bad age!)

If you compare it to those things you are stressed about, the LEEP is practically a spa day for you.  Relatively, of course.  

#7 of 8 Old 09-11-2013, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I had the LEEP done and it wasn't bad at all, except that I had to pee because I was so nervous. There was no pain and the colposcopy was more painful, and that wasn't too painful. They didn't offer anesthesia; I didn't know people usually had anesthesia with the LEEP. Its a simple and fast thing done right in the gyn's office, at least mine was.

If you tell them you are anxious, maybe they will give you some pre-med like a benzo or something?

#8 of 8 Old 09-12-2013, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reassurance! I think I decided to go ahead and do the office procedure but I did ask for the dr to call me so I can request some xanax or something. Valium does nothing for me. It's not that I'm scared of pain or anything, it's the knowledge of what they're doing that freaks me out...does that make sense?

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page