thinking of having mirena removed? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-18-2013, 02:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

hi. i had a mirena inseted december 6th last year, it was very painful and the doc said it was normal. its been in almost a year now and still getting sharp stabbing pains in my lower abdomen, i feel it in my lower back too. its excruciating and i just cant do anything when it occurs. i keep trying to get it out but my doctor said that i should "persevere" with it. im at the end of my tether with it now as i cant even exercise without being in pain. i havent had any children so thats probably why it hurt as much as it did when they inserted it, but i know loads of people who havent had children (or had children but not vaginally) who have had it inserted and not had these problems. i feel so depressed most days as its so painful and i cant cope with the stress of it anymore :( im really scared of having it out as i dont know what to expect, but it just has to come out. has anyone else had these severe pains before? and if you have had it removed was it painful? i hear about people who have removed it themselves but im just a big wuss and daren't do it myself lol also, can anyone recommend any contraceptive that isnt inserted vaginally? sorry if tmi, thanks in advance.

#2 of 3 Old 09-20-2013, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi and welcome to Mothering!

I had a Paraguard IUD for a number of years and didn't have any problems with it, but I think if you've had problems for this long, it's time to try something else. It's been a long time! I know that I had doctors who tried to keep me taking some kinds of birth control pills that made me sick longer than I should have taken them. There's no reason to suffer. We're all different and there are tons of birth control options and it's about finding the one that works for you. If this is causing you so much discomfort, then I have no idea what your doctor would be asking you to wait.

I think you might have more input in the Family Planning forum at Mothering: http://www.mothering.com/community/f/180/family-planning

I don't know if you want me to move this thread, or if you'd like to start another thread there, but it's more about birth control so you might get more input. I am so sorry you're suffering though and I hope you're able to get it removed and try something else very soon! I can't imagine why your doctor would want you to persevere when you're in pain! I'm really outraged by that. Hugs to you!
#3 of 3 Old 09-22-2013, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Having it out is quick and easy, but I wouldn't recommend you try to do it yourself. I actually had my husband remove 2 of mine but unless you or a loved one are medically-minded, it will be a bit too hard. After what you've been through, removal will likely be pretty minor. There's a lot of alternatives, too many to just list here, and it really depends on what do or don't want

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page