Cold Sore Means Herpes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-17-2013, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello everyone, I got for the first time ever my first cold sore yesterday. I'm 20 years old and I'm really starting to freak out cause I googled a treatment for it and I came across an article that said Cold Sores meant Herpes Type 1. Which isn't life threatening but I can't kiss my baby girl cause its extremely contagious. Is this really true? But I think I got them cause I woke up with a really bad sore throat and fever. It said in the article you get them by weather changing, a cold, or oral sex.
#2 of 6 Old 10-17-2013, 08:09 PM

Yes cold sores are herpes simplex type one (usually) and genital herpes are herpes simplex type 2 (usually). You can get either type in either place, (think oral sex). You pick up the infection from kissing, or a drinking glass, share a lipstick, etc then the virus remains with you forever, dormant, and can reactivate with stress, illness, anything that gets your immune system down. Much in the same way chicken pox lys dormant and you get shingles later on.  So yes you can pass it to your baby, and you can get treatments to help.

#3 of 6 Old 10-17-2013, 08:14 PM

I just wanted to add, not to worry about the word "herpes". Most people hear herpes and think of gential herpes, but there are many types of herpes viruess. Even chicken pox is a kind of herpes virus. here is link

http://chealth.canoe.ca/channel_section_details.asp?text_id=1364&channel_id=1020&relation_id=8287

#4 of 6 Old 10-17-2013, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for your reply and for the link I will check it out to get more information!
#5 of 6 Old 10-23-2013, 10:09 AM

yep. I have it too, 90% of people do. No worries. Also, just an fyi chicken pox is also a type of herpes. Herpes zoster is shingles. I have had those too. 

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#6 of 6 Old 10-23-2013, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Omg thats a relief! I was seriously freaking out then my husband and brother told me I was silly to think that it was bad.

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page