Natural remedies for depression & anxiety? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 04-27-2004, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm at my wit's end here. First, it was just inability to concentrate and a little lack of motivation. Now it's heart palpatations, explosive temper, *complete* lack of motivation, severe inability to focus (I can hardly read), and it takes an extreme act of will to clean the kitchen. My house is a wreck and it bothers me, but I can't bring myself to do anything about it.

I'm not at the bottom yet, but I can see myself getting there.

My GP is not helping much. He prescribed Wellbutrin XL originally, even though I have a history of eating disorders. I spoke to him about it and he said I shouldn't worry about it, since it was in the past (only because I have better control... I still have the tendencies). But then my mother mentioned to me that I had full-blown seizures for awhile when I was small (I had thought they were just black-out spells, but they were actually serious seizures). I told my doctor this and he said not to take the Wellbutrin. So, he's prescribed Lexapro (apparently a newer form of Celexa). In reading the insert for it, though, there's still questionable safety for people who have a history of seizures. In addition, ds is still nursing - he's 3 years old and only nurses for a minute or two a few times a day, but still, I'm not too hip on taking anything while he's nursing.

I do need something, though, because I'm not able to do this on my own.

Has anyone had success with any natural remedies? I know St. John's Wort is an option, but I had also heard recently that it wasn't as effective as originally thought.

Thanks for any advice....
#2 of 18 Old 04-27-2004, 03:17 PM

Dragonfly,

Been there and done all that. The doctor started me on Paxil, but I was terrified by reports of withdrawals so I did not continue. I saw an infomercial about anxiety and did order their program. www.stresscenter.com (There is a 30 day money back return policy--much of my stress was financial. My dh copied the tapes and we returned them... SHHH)

I found them very useful in identifying what I was doing to contribute to the problem. Good self care info--going to sleep at a regular time, journaling, listening to relaxation tapes, cutting out junk food, exercising and positive self talk were all a part of it.

It also really helped me to be able to talk about the problem and communicate about it better. Really has made a huge difference. Also added omega-3 and 5htp as supplements. Also, any history of thyroid problems in your family?? Could be related.
#3 of 18 Old 04-27-2004, 03:47 PM

I'm in a period of severe depression now, like my thereapist and psychiatrist want me to medicate or go into the hospital..I've refused both b/c I'm bfing and won't wean her. I've upped my intake of vitamin B stress complex, on top of my pre-natal vitamins (not pg, juct bfing), and I started taking fish oil, Nordic Naturals & Carlson's are great brands. I can finally open my eyes in the morning. The fish oil really helps. I'm not great or anything, I'm just having moments really where things seem better, but at least it's a step in the right direction and gives me hope. I'm also taking Bach Flower Rescue Remedy when I feel really stressed and herbal chamomile drops. Also, I'm spending as much time outside as I can. Plus Wolfmama had good ideas too!
#4 of 18 Old 04-28-2004, 12:53 AM

I am pg right now and have been debating on taking CLO or fish oil. I have found that I have terrible moods since becoming pg and am glad that the fish oils help. I need to order some online. They don't have good quality fish oils here.

Thanks for the info.
#5 of 18 Old 04-28-2004, 01:16 AM

Has your thyroid been checked?

All of your symptoms are right in line with hyperthyroidism, and rang a bell with me since I had all of them 1.5 years ago when I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. Thyroid problems are very commonly misdiagnosed as mental illness
#6 of 18 Old 04-28-2004, 12:19 PM

Watch the fish oils while pg, they often contain a lot of vitamin A, if it's beta carotene, that's okay, if it's palmitate or synthetic, it's not safe during pg.
#7 of 18 Old 04-28-2004, 04:32 PM

I took www.clarocet-nri.com it helped me immensley.I had anxiety to the point of not being able to leave my house and depression.I now can live a normal life.I also took fish oils,upped my b vitamins and took a womens oil blend.Changing my diet and exercising were all beneficial.
#8 of 18 Old 04-28-2004, 04:51 PM

i am also a very stressful person. I was wondering what is 5htp? I need a good Vit b and omega 3 also i think.

Amy
#9 of 18 Old 04-28-2004, 06:10 PM

5HTP is a precursor to Serontonin.It helps to lift your levels naturally.Better then 5HTP is Tryptophan which is the precursor to Serontonin and is an amino acid.It is available at the Mood Cure website.You should not take either while nursing.Antidepressants work by allowing serontonin to be constantly flowing into the brain.The natural rythm is for serontonin to flow in and out and then melantonin takes over at night.With antidepressants it is a consistent flow of serontonin which is why it is difficult to sleep.5 HTP will not work if you have a thyroid problem.If you do get your thyroid checked be sure to ask for the T3 and T4 uptake tests otherwise you may not get a reliable answer.If you wish to go the natural route The Mood Cure is an excellent book.
#10 of 18 Old 04-29-2004, 01:26 AM

Would someone be so kind as to hold my hand? I HAVE to do something, I am barely functioing. Being hospitalized is sounding like a great option and that is scaring me more than than anything else.
My diet is in the toilet- eating is something I am not doing too well. I can't do a thing about any of the outside stressors, but maybe suppliments would help? I tried B complex and B6 while the morning sickness was at its peak, but that made it worse it seemed. I know Omega 3 and Flax seed were recommended anyway. So what could I take? I am 25 weeks pregnant but not nursing. I do not have a health food store closeby, but can get to one if I had a clue what to take. No idea where to order stuff on line or doses. The fish oils concern me some with the reports not to eat fish while pregnant. I hate fish so suppliments would have to do. I am taking prenatals and calcium with magnesium and something else.
Not saying taking a suppliment would be the right solution to my particular problem, but it can't hurt, can it? At this point I will try just about anything.
#11 of 18 Old 04-29-2004, 05:57 AM

Quote:
I'm at my wit's end here. First, it was just inability to concentrate and a little lack of motivation. Now it's heart palpatations, explosive temper, *complete* lack of motivation, severe inability to focus (I can hardly read), and it takes an extreme act of will to clean the kitchen.
this sounds to me like a classical case of HYPOGLYCEMIA or low blood sugar. I suffer from it, and recently some friends also found out they suffer from it. Many Americans do.

if this is it (of course I'm not sure if your case is hypoglycemia, check out for yourself), what happens is your system is not handling sugars and carbohydrates normally, which creates periods of low blood sugar. NORMALLY, when a person eats carbohydrates, pancreas produces insulin which insluin is like a "key to cells", it opens the cells "doors" so energy (glucose) can go in. In hypoglycemic persons there is too much insulin produced, which drives the blood sugar down too quickly. Also many times the cells become resistant to insulin, and so pancreas tries to compensate for that by putting out more and more insulin...

Eventually this can lead to diabetes.

Classical symptoms are along the lines of nervous system: irritability, anxiety, can't concentrate. Then there is te obvious low energy since blood sugar is low. Heart palpitations are caused by the fact that when blood sugar is lowered, adrenal glands put out the stress hormones to try to get it up, but large amounts of stress hormones make the heart race.

Suspect hypoglycemia especially if these symptoms come about two hours after eating, or if skipping meals makes you feel worse.

Solution: diet that carefully combines low-glycemic index carbohydrates with some protein, fat, and fiber and such meals are eaten often. My friend needs to eat every 2 hours right now to keep this bad reacton from happening...

AND supplement with chromium and B vitamins, or better yet brewer's yeast. "nutritional yeast" won't do, it has to be brewer's yeast. Chromium is ver important and usually helps hypoglycemics a lot.

See www.hypoglycemia.org

Maria
#12 of 18 Old 04-29-2004, 06:27 AM

Yes, omega-3 oils would probably help.

Actually there are many different omega-3 oils.
Flax contains omega-3 oil called alpha-linoleic acid (ALA).
Fish contains two others, DHA and EPA. DHA is the 'brain fat' - baby pulls it out of you and breast milk has it too if you have enough to give. Lack of DHA can contribute to depression.

ONLY ALA is essential omega-3 oil. Your body can normally make DHA and EPA (the fish oils) from it.

BUT your body may not make enough DHA/EPA from ALA if you consume too much omega-6 fats (found in typical cooking oils like sunflower, corn, soy), or if there is not enough vitamins B3, B6, C and minerals zinc, magnesium. (http://www.udoerasmus.com/articles/udo/fish_oil.htm)

here is an excellent article about fats that heal and fats that kill from the leading expert Udo Erasmus
http://www.udoerasmus.com/articles/udo/fthftk.htm

So you could get some flax oil OR flax seeds and a coffee grinder since flax is the best source of ALA which is ESSENTIAL FAT. One can put groudn flax in bread dough or muffins even , or sprinkle on cereal/yogurt/salad etc. Flax oil you could take a tablespoon or two daily, maybe two since pregnant. Or flax seed about three times as much since only 1/3 of it is fat. But need to grind the seed.

The question about fish oils is not easy; the fats in fish are not essential if you get enough of ALA and not lacking in any of the vitamins/minerals and not eating too much omega-6 fats. But if not sure, then fish oil supplements would help too. I don't know where you'd get a good quality one because the quality with fish oil supplements is of concern. You don't want one that is already rancid or one with toxic contaminants. Maybe someone else knows a good brand.

Actually eating fatty fish that you know is not contaminated with mercury would be excellent solution (with some flax in the diet too).

And, you said you are not eating well. Please remember that your baby will need you to be there and care for him/her so you need to stay healthy too! And if you eat well, you will feel better too!

maria
#13 of 18 Old 04-29-2004, 12:09 PM

Dh is hypoglycemic and was having depression, mood swings and other issues.

To help hiim we go to a chiropractor that uses 'torque release technique' (TRT). and were also recomended a series amino acids and vitamins. we are taking fish oil for omega 3's, a super B vitamin, St. Johns wart, a multi vitamin and about 6 differant amino acids. I am also tring to get away from packaged foods and cooking from scratch and eating more vegies and fruits and getting some probiotics (yougart or keifer) and xtra vitamin C in him also.

I would also like to get him to see an holistic Dr. or naturopath (SP?) for a blood test (if there even is one ) for amino acids and vitamin levals to see if he is deficiant in any.

good luck
#14 of 18 Old 04-29-2004, 12:17 PM

besides some of the diet changes and supplements people have mentioned I have regular shiatsu sessions which helps enormously. and i make sure i get outside every single day, particularly in the a.m. i cut out sugar, caffeine and alcohol as much as possible.
#15 of 18 Old 04-29-2004, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariamommy
this sounds to me like a classical case of HYPOGLYCEMIA or low blood sugar. I suffer from it, and recently some friends also found out they suffer from it. Many Americans do.
Thanks for your response, Maria. I am, without a doubt, hypoglycemic. I've known it for quite a while and do a fairly good job of controlling it with diet. It seems to be getting worse, though. Of course, in times of extreme stress (like the past few years of my life, for instance :LOL), I tend to fall off the wagon as far as dietary maintenance goes, so that's a huge issue.

I did go out and get a stress support complex from New Chapter - it has all of the B vitamins, chromium, calcium, magnesium, and folate. I'm going to take that religiously and also take my cod liver oil religiously. I did go out and get the 5htp, as well, but I'm hesitant to take it because ds still nurses (even though he's 3 and it's only about twice a day for a very short time). I may try it, though.

I'm going to check out the hypoglycemia website you've provided and see if there's anything big I'm missing.

Thanks again! And same to everyone else! You all are wonderful and I'd love to see this dialogue continue. I'm going to keep trying to figure stuff out and report back when I know more.
#16 of 18 Old 04-29-2004, 06:53 PM

Magemom~Protein.Up your protein.Cut out sugars and caffeine.Eat good amounts of protein and fill in with fresh fruits and veggies.This will make a huge difference.Nordic Naturals lemon flavored Omega blend is my fav for fish oil.It is quite safe while nursing.Rainbow Lite PRenatals once a day are my fav vitamins.Stress B complex.Calcium and Magnesium on top of the vitamins.Barleans Oil Womens Blend.Bach Rescue Remedy for any anxiety.Great stuff.Hang in there,get exercise and find someone you can talk to.You can get through this.
#17 of 18 Old 04-29-2004, 07:13 PM

i agree with cleaning up the diet. this for me was cutting out all crap (hydrogenated oil, most sugary stuff) and getting more protein. i added poultry to my diet after 11 years of vegetarianism. i drink lots of water and drink just one cup of coffee a day. not for everyone i know, but it really made me feel better, and i lost weight. (25lbs in 3 months, i have kept it off 11 months later...) i also began a daily routine to help my life feel more manageable. i got up every day and got kids out to school, then took a walk, then went downtown for errands. sounds simple and it is. i did this religiously without changing for about 4 months, and felt solid again. i needed to be able to expect a normal day. the exercise is absolutely key: at least 1/2 hour a day however you want to do it. i like to walk vigorously outside. it cranks that feeling of peace thru my brain and body, and flushes toxins from the previous day. it took me a couple of months of consistent exercise to feel the benefit, but well worth it. it all began with acupuncture, which uncovered the true sense of my splitting headaches: anxiety. this program changed my life and i never needed drugs. not to say that in a preachy way, but much of my anxiety is medically based, so pills would not have helped me. i was motivated first by fear and desperation, but finally by the good results i have had.

i also did 5 months of consistent psychotherapy, the best natural cure for many many physical ailments. get your head straight and the rest follows. it is the hardest work i have ever done, but i only get the occasional minor headache now instead of frequent tension/migraines. i look nd feel better now than i have in at least 10 years.

best of luck to anyone dealing with this, it is hard stuff, but there is a way thru it, unique to each person. blessings to all!
#18 of 18 Old 04-29-2004, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Magemom - I somehow missed your post!

I'm so sorry for what you are going through.

Some on-line sources for supplements for you:

www.vitaminlife.com (one of my favorite sites to order from - great deals, great selection, totally inexpensive and fast shipping, and wonderful customer service)

www.nordicnaturals.com - a very high quality fish oil. I take the same one that Raven (I think?) takes - the Pro-Omega. I also give the children's DHA to ds. It's very safe - no mercury to be concerned about.

I've found that a diet low in even the good carbs, devoid of junk food, and high in fresh fruits and veggies and proteins is crucial (and my lack of adherence to that diet as of late definitely has much - though not all - to do with my current bad state of mind). I don't know how money is for you, but if it's not that much of an issue, Diamond Organics is a great source for fresh, great quality organic fruits and veggies. They have a website. Shipping is expensive, though - it helps if you can get a group order together to defray the costs.

Good luck. Hang in there.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page