Borderline Thyroid - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-12-2013, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What natural supplements are recommended to strengthen the thyroid. I was low during my previous pregnancy, and want to keep it well. It's fine now.

What are the ingredients to look out for?

Thanks.

#2 of 5 Old 12-15-2013, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

It looks like your post might have been missed, so I'm bumping it up for attention. :bump: Anyone have experiences to share?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 5 Old 12-24-2013, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have advice? I'm sure others have low thyroid.

Thanks again.
#4 of 5 Old 12-29-2013, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Kelp capsules are a good source of iodine and can support thyroid function. This is good for hypothyroidism and not hyperthyroidism. 

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#5 of 5 Old 01-03-2014, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am pretty sure my thyroid is low postpartum, I'm not going to get it tested I'm just using supplements/diet to sort it out. 

One of the main culprits I think is that during my pregnancy (and before) I ate SO many cruciferous vegetables that have high levels of oxalates- KALE, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, collard greens, etc. I cut all of that out, as I've kind of had to while breastfeeding. I'm also taking a thyroid supplement that has 200mcg of iodine, as well as l-tyrosine and a glandular complex. There is a link between adrenal burnout and vitamin D levels and hypothyroidism, so it's best to avoid caffeine/sugar and take ashwaghanda (the herb) to support your thyroid, and if you don't live in a tropical climate where you can have sun on your skin all the time, take 3-5000iu vitamin D per day. I'm doing all these things together and I'm already feeling a difference in the last 2 weeks I've been taking the herbs and supplements. 

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page