Could someone help me with my thyroid levels results? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-15-2014, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I just had new blood work done last week.  I told my doc I've been soooooooo tired lately, wanting to crash around 3:00 pm every day.  I've been on natural thyroid for years, at 60 mg daily,  I eat a healthy diet, medium exercise and enough sleep.

So, new blood work results:

T3, Free:  5.7 (reference range of 2.3 - 4.2)  Listed HIGH

T4, Free:  1.0 ( rr of .7 - 1.5)

TSH:  .58 ( rr .45 - 5.10)

My doc is out of the office until next Monday, but I want to understand a little bit before I talk to him.

Any help??

Thanks, in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 01-19-2014, 07:43 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)

Did you take your thyroid medication the day of your test? Just wondering if that might influence the results. 

Check this page out for more info on lab values. Also, Stop The Thyroid Madness has gotten some great reviews. It was recommended to me by a doctor this past summer who works a lot with thyroid patients in his practice. Hope it helps!

#3 of 4 Old 01-20-2014, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My first question was also going to be when you too,k your last thyroid dose before your blood work. I am always instructed not to take any thyroid medication within 24 hours of my blood draw. If you do take it beforehand and you take a natural thyroid medication (as I do) I believe it is possible to have a false high free T-3 reading.
#4 of 4 Old 01-27-2014, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

I just read this on the first link that Cynthia posted:

Quote:

FREE T3 LAB TEST: T3 is the active thyroid  hormone. Free in front of the T3 means you are measuring what is available and unbound.  Those on an optimal amount of desiccated thyroid, with no lingering hypothyroid symptoms and in the presence of healthy adrenals, tend to have a free T3 at the top of the range. If you are on desiccated thyroid (especially if lower than 3 grains) and find yourself with the free T3 high or above range in the presence of continuing hypothyroid symptoms, or even hyper-like symptoms (anxiety, shakiness), it’s a clue you have adrenal fatigue, aka low cortisol.  If not on thyroid medication: 1) If your free T3 is high, you could have Hashimoto’s disease, which will need the two antibodies tests to discern it, or Graves disease, which needs the TSI test. 2) if your free T3 is mid-range or lower, and in the presence of hypothyroid symptoms, you may have hypothyroidism, no matter how low the TSH. You should NOT take any T3-containing product on the morning of a test.

Adrenal insufficiency (aka fatigue, dysfunction, etc) is almost ALWAYS present in thyroid patients, and vice versa. It's pretty rare for someone to have one and not the other. There's a ton of debate on which you should treat first because taking thyroid meds with poorly functioning adrenals will definitely make the adrenals work even harder and you'll end up in a worse place than where you started.

I was dx'd with zone 7 adrenal fatigue (lowest zone in Diagnos-Techs lab results) 7 years ago and I also have hypothyroid symptoms even though (I think) my thyroid blood work looks good. I also had blood work done in the last couple of weeks and even though my midwife said it looks good, I'm waiting to get the results in my hands to evaluate them myself before deciding that things do indeed "look good." My naturopath who specializes in endocrinology told me years ago that adrenal patients always have thyroid issues even if the blood work says otherwise (kind of makes you wonder why we bother testing, right?)

These days, I find it hard to believe there are actually people out there who aren't suffering from some degree of adrenal insufficiency, especially since Fukushima. Thyroid dysfunction has been popping up all over the place in the last 3 years, even in newborns :( - especially on the west coast. It's being reflected in our thyroid function, but the adrenals are absolutely taking a hit as well.

To test your adrenal function, you'll want to do an ASI (adrenal stress index) using saliva. Here's a quote from the website:

Quote:

Thyroid Function

The level of cortisol at the cell level controls thyroid hormone production. Often, hypothyroid symptoms such as fatigue and low body temperature are due to an adrenal maladaptation.

Do you think your doctor is qualified to treat your whole body as one system? If not, I'd have a look around to find one who is because it's impossible to heal one part of the body without looking at the body as a whole.

I could recommend adrenal support but you'll want to do the ASI before taking anything that might skew the results. You'll definitely want to see where you stand before attempting to work on your adrenals.

I might be back once I get my thyroid results back...and I'm overdue for another ASI myself. :)

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!

Tags
Health Healing

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page