Long term Vitex use - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-21-2014, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello, i'm curious to hear of other user's experience using Vitex for a year or more.

I took it mainly to help even out my periods and prevent spotting and irregularity.  I used Nature's Way Vitex and started with 2 - 400mg capsules for the first month then just took one a day.  

So basically, the Vitex did not make my periods regular.  I still continued to have irregular periods ranging from 22 - 30 days apart.  I did however, get some very, very heavy periods which I did not have before i started the Vitex.  

I have decided to discontinue the Vitex because I could not tell that it was helping me, in fact I think it was harming me.  Depression runs in my family and I think the Vitex was exaggerating these depressive tendencies.  For the last 3 months, I've been feeling blue and crying at everything.  I really wanted to give this herb a chance and that's why I continued for a year, with no noticeable differences.  

What made me finally stop was that my periods became even more irregular to the point of non predictable bleeding and spotting every week to two weeks.  I am 41 years old so this could definitely be perimenopause symptoms; but the super unpredictable bleeding is just too much.  

I weaned off of it in 5 days so possibly going off of it is still causing unpredictable bleeding.  Curious to hear other users experiences!  (I used Vitex for a year from Jan 2013 to Jan 15, 2014)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2014, 11:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I also started using Vitex a year ago.  I was having cycles ranging from 30-42 days and that was so stressful.  I also started off with 2 a day and then graduated to just one. 

It really helped me at first.  I was having a period every 33 days for two months.  Then 34 days for two months.  When June hit, I was almost a week late.  Thought I was pregnant.  Wasn't, thank heavens.  I want one someday but now is not the time!  Anyway, it got back on schedule but I noticed my cycles were getting longer by a day every time.  Then I was late in December; that cycle was 38 days.  Dec-Jan cycle was 40 days and I freaked out again but it finally came four days ago.  Still, 40 days is getting on the long side for me.

Other factors might influence my experience though; I have been under an enormous amount of pressure lately; trying to decide whether or not to extend my grad-school hiatus another semester, trying to get ahead at work, that sort of thing.  Plus the fact that if I am more than two days late, I begin to worry I am pregnant, makes my period later, worry even more...thus the vicious cycle begins!  Also, my sleep cycle went out of whack so that could be to blame.

I am a person who nowadays can count on little things to throw me off of my menstrual cycle.  You might be the same, so it might not be the vitex not working...maybe it is just competing with other stressors in your life.  I think it worked or at the very least helped me.  I also sometimes double up on the pills when I am close to my period.  Whether or not it is a placebo effect, I do not know but it has always worked.  I get my period 1-2 days after I start doubling up.

Having said that, a 38 and a 40 day cycle back to back is more than annoying.  I am going to try either adding Dong Quai or Evening Primrose to the Vitex to see what that does.  I won't decide until I do more research but I think my body just needs some extra help at the moment. 

All in all the Vitex has been a help for me as it gave me fairly regular cycles for most of a year.  I don't expect my cycles to be EXACTLY x number of days apart, but more than 4 days difference each time, I consider irregular for myself.  Technically I haven't had that much of a difference since I started the Vitex, the cycles have just been slowly getting longer so that this last one was 40 days as opposed to the 33 days when I first started taking them.

That was really long but I wanted to give you an idea of my experience!  Have you looked into Cohosh?  It can be good for pre-menopausal symptoms, if that is what you suspect.  Don't give up.  There are many, many natural alternatives out there that help.  You just have to do your homework and decide what is best for you! 

Tags
Health Healing
User Tag List