Wheat-free diet.... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-26-2014, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My doctor just asked me to go wheat-free for a month, to see if I feel better.  I am 54, post-menopausal, hypothyroid (60 mg/day, natural desiccated thyroid - compounded for me, not Armour) and have been feeling totally exhausted for awhile.  Also, weight gain, mood swings, dry skin & acne, and aches.  He says my thyroid results are normal and he feels a change in diet might help, and I am certainly willing to try.

Anyway, I did ask my doc, "Hey, if, in a month, I am feeling terrific, does this mean I have to stay wheat-free forever?"  I wouldn't mind it, I just want to know if I should begin getting into that GF mindset, kwim?

He said, "Wait, and we'll talk then,  You need to see how you'll feel."

Basically, not an answer!

So, I have done without any wheat since last Wednesday. Feel okay (last night, however, terrible time sleeping with lots of aches and tossing!), no differences that I can attribute to being GF (still as tired as anything).

Learning new things to cook has been fun and finding new products which I never knew existed (the gluten-free pasta we tried is wonderful!) and I made a terrific ricotta tart for breakfast today. Even made brownies that were GF and tasted great.  I have not had what I would think is "wheat withdrawal" (unless last night's feelings were that?).  Dh and ds are fully supporting this and joining in, somewhat, which is nice (I didn't ask them to do so!).

Anyone BTDT, as far as going wheat-free and then eating it again?  I've heard that it can be terrible to rejoin the world of wheat, after doing this.  I haven't wanted to look too closely, at this point, because I really LOVE to eat wheat products.  I am a baker from the age of 4 and and I would very much miss some of my best wheat-containing baking creations!!! 

Is this really a lifestyle change, forever?  Like I said, I don't mind, but I would love to hear from others that have done this!

Thanks, in advance............

#2 of 3 Old 01-27-2014, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)

Why did he choose wheat?  

If I had gone gluten-free before I had any allergy assessments, I would have run smack into more eggs, rice, corn and nuts like almonds, all of which it turns out I am allergic too.

But not wheat.

Go figure.  

So, I'm just curious what reasoning he had for choosing this one?  When you mean "aches" do you mean muscle aches?  Belly aches?  I found that leg aches (plus lethargy, mood swings) I was plagued was due in large part to the allergen content in my diet.

To be helpful:  gluten can stick around in the body for a while, so you might need the whole month to assess, like the doctor said.  You might notice things more when you give wheat a trial at the end of the month.  Is he suggesting celiac?  I wouldn't think so, otherwise he would have known that you should order tests before removing gluten from the diet.  

I have heard varying experiences from people regarding gluten.  Celiac is forever.  But an intolerance can either require a similar abstinence, or occasional small indulgences, depending on the individual.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#3 of 3 Old 01-27-2014, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

No mention of celiac disease.  Nor do I show any allergy symptoms.  It's more about thinking I have developed an intolerance to wheat products.

The aches are general muscle aches, not cramps (like needing potassium fast).  Yes, mood swings and lethargy (I fall asleep at 3:00 pm unless I am being active!  Dh and ds won't let me sit down!!!).

The "diet" is no big deal, I am enjoying looking at new foods and have been pleased with what I can substitute and still enjoy eating.  I've also started cooking with coconut oil and really like it.

I guess we'll see what happens over the month...................

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page