Gallstones and pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 03-11-2014, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone out there has had experience with gallstones and pregnancy. After my son's birth 41/2 years ago I went to the ER with what I later found out was probably due to passing a gallstone. I was not admitted and it was recommended that I have my gallbladder out. I decided not to due to the fact that I had never had any issues, my gallbladder was healthy per the ultrasounds and test, and I wanted to address the cause, not the symptoms. 4 1/2 years later, I went to the ER again (no symptoms in between) and found out I have 2 very tiny (2-3mm) and one larger (1.2 cm) gallstone. Again, labs normal, healthy Liver and gallbladder. Again, the recommendation is to schedule surgery to remove the gallbladder, which again I have declined (no symptoms since episode beg of January). I found a pcp who supports keeping my gallbladder and trying some natural ways to dissolve the stones and hopefully find out why I am producing them as I do not meet the "typical" criteria. I am considering another pregnancy and am.wondering if anyone had had experience with pregnancy and gallstones. My midwife in my current city said to have my gallbladder removed before pregnancy so I don't have to "worry about it" and a midwife from another city that I moved from said it was more risky to have the surgery than to move forward with the pregnancy with the gallbladder and stones. Any thoughts?
#2 of 2 Old 03-11-2014, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have occasional trouble with my gallbladder, which started within a year of my twins' birth. I found a naturopath who worked with me, (massage, accupuncture, supplements) and set me right. It takes a bit to feel better, but the result last for a long while. 

I'm quite skeptical of alternative medicine in genreal, and probably wouldn't have gone, except that my tests were all "normal", my pain and inability to eat anything without issue was troublesome, and the docs could only recommend surgery.  Google pointed out that people with my symptoms often still had symptoms after removal of the gall bladder. So I tried something else. and it worked.  

THe supplement, if you want to look for it yourself, was AF betafood, made by standard process. I've not found anything comprable at GNC, but you might be able to get it from a regular chiropractor.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page