Has anyone had revision surgery on a perineal tear? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 03-16-2014, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I tore to the 2nd degree with my 9lb daughter and the dr. stitched it up horribly. There is a pocket where the sulcis and hymenal tissue were not sewn together inside, and the perineum itself was not sewed up to where it should be- leaving me with a gaping appearance that traps air. There is also a random flap of skin on the left side of the introitus that shouldn't be there. My midwife also suspects that the muscle was not approximated together correctly when it was stitched up- because at 5 months postpartum there is SOME muscular tone and movement, but nowhere near what it should be- and this is what I have suspected all along.

What I'm pissed about now though, is that instead of being able to get the revision done while I was still postpartum healing and had lots of downtime and it was winter-- it is now approaching summer and the 6 month time period that my GYN said she wanted to wait for to do the surgery, and the timing of it is going to be tricky.

Has anyone had a perineotomy/episiotomy repair revised?? How long was the down time?? 

I am most concerned about how it's going to affect taking care of my baby, and how much time I have to take off of exercising- because being active is very important to me and I NEED it! 

My postpartum healing from the tear took a good 8 weeks before I could sit normally. I read (on vaginal rejuvenation websites) that it takes anywhere from 2-6 weeks before you can do your normal activities. 

Anyone have any insight/help/advice?? I either need to get it done this week/next week so I'm healed in time for my sister's wedding in florida, or right after I get back the week of April 20th so I'm healed for a music festival and vacation time at the end of may... this just sucks. I wish the dr could have just done it right the first time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 03-17-2014, 12:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No personal experience, but several years ago I worked as a nanny for a mom who had revision surgery about eight months after having her second child. I stayed with her and the children the whole first week after the surgery because she couldn't physically care for the children at all (her DH was an Air Force pilot and had to fly transatlantic flights that week). Lifting, bending, twisting etc. were painful and difficult for her. Weeks 2-4 were more "light duty" - i.e. Minimal walking, no lifting more than 15 lbs, minimal time standing etc. By week 6, she had recovered enough to both care for the children herself and to resume her job working as a pilot for a commuter airline. Hopefully this timeline helps you make a decision on surgery scheduling. Best of luck!

Tabitha ~ devoted wife to my best friend Stephen ribbonyellow.gif and gentle Christian mom to six DSs: notes.gif E - 2/09/00REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifA - 3/05/03superhero.gifA- 6/05/06 guitar.gif H- 2/07/08 jog.gif J - 11/14/10 bouncy.gif T - 8/23/12 + stork-suprise.gif due 9/20/14!  brokenheart.gif DD Janae 10/19/09 angel2.gif

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page