"Mini pill" birth control making me an emotional mess!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-31-2014, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am on the mini (progesterone only) pill for the second time since giving birth to my now 15 month old daughter and I am having some rather unbearable emotional effects from it and I was wondering if anyone else has dealt with anything similar?? I am feeling extremely depressed and the slightest thing that my husband or daughter does makes me sooooo irritable. I am being very bitchy and irrational and crying all the time. I am completely aware of how irrational I'm being but feel that I have no control over my own body/emotions. I can't think clearly and my memory is terrible, for example I left an entire cart full of groceries in the parking lot of a store after loading my daughter in and driving off without them. They were stolen:/....I took the mini pill for the first time when my baby was a few months old and stopped taking it for this very reason. I recently suffered a miscarriage that was a result of an unexpected pregnancy that occurred while my husband and I were using a combination of the withdrawal method and condoms. So to not risk another unplanned pregnancy I thought I'd give the mini pill another shot. I am still breastfeeding so this type of bc pill is the only one I can take. My husband is allergic to spermicides so any bc method requiring the use of  them (such as diaphragm) is out of the question as well. And IUD's just creep me out. So I am also wondering if anyone has any alternative bc options that I am not thinking of?........I stopped taking the mini pill 2 nights ago and am still an emotional wreck. Does anyone know when my emotions/hormones will go back to normal? Any advice or stories of similar problems greatly appreciated! Thanks ladies:)

#2 of 10 Old 04-13-2014, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Sorry to read that you are having such a hard time. Do you have a health care provider that you can talk with about the side effects?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 10 Old 04-13-2014, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

I do have an obgyn (who prescribed the pill). I will ask him about it when I go in for my annual at the end of the month. I have been off of the pills for 2 weeks now and am feeling much better, however I am now concerned about getting pregnant. I already spoke to the nurse in my obgyn office and she pretty much said that since my husband is allergic to spermacide and I am nursing then this mini pill or condoms are our only options. Condoms can be rather expensive and inconvenient so I was hoping for a 3rd option. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions because this nurse has given me incorrect information in the past  so I don't exactly trust her word.

#4 of 10 Old 04-13-2014, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I would suggest a diaphragm but it is not nearly as effective without spermicide. I'd really think about what exactly bothers you about the IUD because really, the copper (paragard) seems pretty perfect for your situation.

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#5 of 10 Old 04-13-2014, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

That was something I was seriously considering. I guess it just scares me a bit to have a piece of metal inside me. I have heard some scary stories about them moving or shifting and causing infection or puncturing internal body parts and such. My husband is also freaked out about it and afraid he would feel it when we are intimate. I told him that was not the case but to be honest I am not really sure.....I considered the diaphragm but the nurse told me it was useless without spermacide. I thought it has to be better than nothing though. It is statements like those that cause me to not trust this nurse. I asked her if a diaphragm combined with the withdrawal method would be more effective and she said no that we may as well just use withdrawal method. She confused me very much so now I am not sure what to think:-/ 

#6 of 10 Old 04-13-2014, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Well, it's a tough one. "Perfect use" failure rate (%of women experiencing unintended pregnancy within first year of use if they use it every single time they have sex, exactly correctly) of the diaphragm WITH SPERMACIDE, is 6%. "Typical use" failure rate, which includes human error, inconsistent use, etc, of this method is 12%. So I'm thinking diaphragm WITHOUT spermicide must be more like 12% failure rate at best. Women using no method of contraception have an 85% chance of conceiving in one year, everything else being equal.

The copper IUD has a typical use failure rate of .8% in the first year. There is a 1/1000 risk of uterine perforation.

Those are some numbers to chew on.

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#7 of 10 Old 04-13-2014, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you very much for those stats. That really helps a lot. I think I may reconsider the copper iud again and try to convince my husband. Or perhaps getting a diaphragm isn't such a bad idea either. It has to be better than nothing! I will do a little more research myself. I really think the nurse that I see is a bit of a quack (if you can call a nurse that)....She also stated once that withdrawal method is just as effective as the mini pill! I know for a fact that is not true. Once again thank you. You have been very helpful in my decision. Do you know anything about hormonal imbalance? I am trying to do some research on this subject as I believe I have some hormonal imbalance issues that cause some emotional and physical distress that is always present but exacerbated by this mini pill. I am interested in any info or stories from other women who have experienced these types of problems.

#8 of 10 Old 04-24-2014, 05:41 AM

I'm so happy I read your post because I know of this great spermicide alternitive called Contragel. It is totally natural, and perfect for using with a diaphram for those who are alergic to nonoxonal-9. Hormones also messed big time with my system, and I now use FAM with a diaphram and contragel. I feel like a diffrent person.

check it out here http://ethicalfamilyplanning.com/natural-contraception/contragel.html and here http://ethicalfamilyplanning.com/store/contragel-natural-spermicide.html

I hope this helps! good luck!

#9 of 10 Old 04-24-2014, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the suggestion!!! I read the link that you posted and it sounds perfect for me! I'm not sure if I am just missing it or if it was not stated on the page but, is the contragel equally as effective as regular spermacides? and one last question, please don't mind my ignorance, but what is FAM? Once again, thank you so much for your advice! It just may be a lifesaver for me:)

#10 of 10 Old 04-27-2014, 02:22 AM

I don't remember 100% what the statistics where when I was researching it, but I'm almost positive, yes, it is as effective. It works differently then a chemical spermicide, it blocks the sperm because it is sticky and the sperm can't travel through the actual gel, and  because of the PH levels of the gel kill sperm. I've been using it for a few years now without any issues. But it is important to note that it is meant to be used along with a diaphragm or cap, not as birth control on its own.

FAM is short for Fertility Awareness Method. (also called NFP sometimes) There is a ton to write on the subject and a ton to learn, but in short, it is a system for getting to know when you are ovulating so that you can know exactly when you actually have a fertile egg available for the sperm. A lot of people use a similar method of tracking ovulation to increase their chances of getting pregnant when they are trying to conceive, but really, that same kind of knowledge can be transplanted to trying to avoid pregnancy. If you know when you are ovulating, then you can know your "fertility window," the time of month sex could result in pregnancy.

When using FAM, you'd be able to use a barrier method of contraception during week or so of the month that you are fertile for, and the rest of the month you are free to have sex without another method of contraception, because there is just no egg available.

There are a few ways of figuring out when you are ovulating, the most accurate seems to be through taking your body temperature - called basel body temperature. Your temperature actually rises by few points right before you are going to ovulate and is a highly reliable indicator of fertility. You can get to know the different textures of your cervical mucus, and the position of your cervix. The key is getting a good thermometer and tracking your info accurately so you can be totally confidant in the system. (I use a fertility monitor called Cyclotest that has a built in thermometer to make this all simple.)

If you click around more on that site http://ethicalfamilyplanning.com, they have a lot of info on it. I bought a bunch of stuff through them, they are really great and have super costumer service. I got Cyclotest and a diaphragm through them.

Totally feel free to ask anything else! FAM is such a great method of birth control, and in my opinion far too many women just don't know that it can be a reliable option! I'm always happy to talk about it :)

Good luck!

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page