What's causing my ds tummy pain? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-01-2014, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Ds1 who is 6 years old has been saying his tummy hurts very randomly for a couple of months now. At first we thought it was nerves because he could go about his day without saying it again.

It used to happen when he would start eating. Now he says it after he starts to eat something sweet. He's also had a couple of bouts of throwing up which we thought were flu, but now I think im linking it to eating greasy foods like ground beef.

My husband doesn't tolerate greasy foods either.

I've also recently suspected him to be gluten intolerant and will be getting him a celiac panel blood test. But while I was searching some stuff on constant nausea, the gallbladder came up. And then I learned about the not digesting fat well.

I feel like my son should be much healthier or how we eat. We're not perfect, but compared to every other kid we know, he should be super healthy.

He also seems to get car sickness, though doesn't throw up often in the car. Maybe three times his whole life.

My husband and I always think it's more of an anxiety nerve thing because ds is extremely sensitive and thinks a lot for a little one. However, I believe now there is actually something there.

So my crazy mom googling has me thinking gluten intolerance or celiacs or gallbladder.

We will be getting a blood test ASAP with our doctor visit.

Does anyone have any insight or experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2014, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

You've already got some great ideas!  To add a couple outliers that may not come up in your searching:

- Migraines (could be related to food sensitivities)  Children's migraines can manifest as tummy hurts instead of head hurts.

- Pinworms

When my kiddos start complaining about tummy hurting around meal times I suspect pinworms.  I then start looking for other signs that I've noticed are related to pinworms . . . all subtle.. . just a little more than what would be considered normal, but enough to make for exhausted kiddos and parents:

headaches

can't sit still, especially during meals

nose picking

trouble sleeping through night, nightmares

eating with fingers more than silverware

ravenously hungry at dinner time, but unable to eat enough because tummy hurts

has a hard time listening and following directions

tends towards frustration, defiance and anger

Edited to add (can't believe I forgot these!!):

When the case was really bad, before we learned what was going on - 

small red pimples on butt cheeks and around mouth, didn't seem bothersome

yeast-like rash in yoni area, this was bothersome

yelping in pain around dinner or bedtime (our kiddo is very sensitive)

wanting to lay on tummy in the middle of dinner

stabbing pain in bottom "like there are little gnomes stabbing me with 50 tiny swords"

I found out the hard way that it's important to test 3 mornings in a row.  We took 3 samples - one where I actually caught 2 adult worms and put them on the sticky paddle.  2 paddles tested negative, including the one with the adult worms (they only look for eggs).

Good luck.  I hope your little one feels better soon.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Oh my, you listed a lot of his symptoms. I had suspected parasites a couple of years ago. I'll bring this up at his check up. Was it just a stool test you did? Are they easy to get rid of?
Old 04-01-2014, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Subbing. My DD had all of those symptoms...
Old 04-01-2014, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

I just did the flashlight trick while he was sleeping and I didn't see anything. If there are parasites, would I have definitely seen them? Also, he hasn't been having loose stools regularly since we cut out gluten. Would there be loose stools with parasites all the time? He's been pretty regular for the past 3-4 years. I think I remember reading that parasites would cause constipation and loose stools, alternating.

I'm really thinking he can't digest fat because he had ground beef last night that was 85% fat and sautéed in butter and his stools today were floating an broke apart a little. If he can't digest fat, is there something that could be more serious happening? Is it possible for seemingly healthy kids to have gallbladder issues? He's skinny, but not bones.

I wish I could know what his pain felt like. I ask him if he has to poop, throw up etc. and it just seems like it's something there. He's not screaming or anything, so nothing sharp. Ok thinking it's more of a nauseous feeling.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

He could definitely have pinworms even if you don't see anything.  How long has he been sleeping?  I don't think they would come out right away.  I would definitely take him in.  Strep throat can also cause stomach pain, but my first thought was pinworms, too.  For your own peace of mind, I would not google and I would seek a doctor's input.  Sorry!

Old 04-01-2014, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

I'm definitely bringing him to the doctor, don be sorry!wink1.gif if it were strep, wouldn't he have a fever and sore throat? He did have what I think was the flu last week for a couple of days. Swollen glands, low fever etc.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycmom18 View Post

I'm definitely bringing him to the doctor, don be sorry!wink1.gif if it were strep, wouldn't he have a fever and sore throat? He did have what I think was the flu last week for a couple of days. Swollen glands, low fever etc.

Usually a fever would accompany strep,. but my son has had strep without a fever and a stomach ache.  The ped said stomach aches sometiems accompany strep, although I don't know why.  I hope it's pinworms - they are fairly easy to get rid of. 

Old 04-02-2014, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Could post nasal drip hurt a tummy?
Old 04-02-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycmom18 View Post

Could post nasal drip hurt a tummy?

Yes, constant swallowing of mucus can make a person feel nauseous or have pain in the stomach.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:08 AM

Regarding the pinworm questions: I didn't see an adult pin worm when I first looked. The next night I stayed awake for a long time and checked with a flashlight every time my kiddo tossed in her sleep. A couple hours later I found two. It's much easier to use the tests. It is either sticky tape that you leave right on the anal opening all night (wait until they are deep asleep to place it if they won't cooperate while awake) or a sticky paddle that you use to pat the area first thing in the morning. See my note in my first post about getting samples 3 mornings in a row.

It takes 4 to 6 weeks for the pinworms to mature and we've had them a few times, enough that I notice symptoms about two weeks before the adults start migrating out to lay eggs. It can be hard to wait but I don't like giving meds without a positive diagnosis.

We didn't see major changes in stool consistency or frequency and they did not show up in a stool analysis.

Tags
Health Healing
User Tag List