Is a low WBC really good? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-25-2014, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ds 1 who is 6, recently had lab work done. His WBC was 8 with a range of 6-17. The doctor said that you want a low WBC. I've always read that meant an inmunocompromised person? His hemoglobin was fine but his ferritin was low. So we're trying floradix.

I always get so freaked out about blood stuff and jump to the worst outcome possible. So please reassure that my doctor is correct;)!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2014, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

The short answer - 8 is fine. It is totally normal for white blood cells to be on the lower end of the normal range when the body isn't fighting an infection - the count will increase as needed.

The more complex answer is that the total WBC count is less useful than knowing how many there are of the different types of white blood cells. You can be immunocompromised with a WBC count in the normal (or high) range if you have too few of one type and higher levels of another. However, unless you have specific reason to believe he's immunocompromised, there's no reason to think that the doctor is wrong (the count probably also included the percentages of the various types of white blood cells, so the doctor was probably including that info in his thinking).

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
This was very helpful. Thank you! I guess I always worry about my sons blood because like myself, he's always had low iron and he sometimes just looks so so pale. I start to worry about that type of thing. I do think there's probably a reason why our iron is always low, though I haven't figured it out yet. We'll see what happens after we supplement for a couple of months now. Thanks again for your input!

Tags
Health Healing
User Tag List