Should I do something about heavy periods? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-10-2014, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I always thought my periods aren't bad, no cramps, regular like a clock and over very quickly.  The only problem is they're heavy.  I pretty much have to stay home the first two days to avoid leaking.  I go to bathroom all the time and don't sleep so well at night because I had to get up often.  I use a cup so I know the amount of blood I lose is anywhere from 6 to 12 oz.  My ferritin is chronically low and my hemoglobin always near the minimum normal.  I try to eat lots of beef and take some supplements after each period.  So far I haven't been officially anemic, though I do feel anemic during and after periods sometimes.  Feeling dizzy and tired, some headache and shortness of breath.  I think it's because almost all the bleeding happen within 24 - 30 hours.  My periods usually just stops at the two day mark, going from gushing to nothing within a couple hours. 

I keep pondering if life couldn't be better if I don't spend all my time trying to recover blood loss, and being so close to anemia.  I don't know what my doctor can do, though.  We had an ultrasound done last year and didn't find anything.  She suggested birth control pills but I was afraid of the side effects.  My only experience with the pill was horrible (non-stop yeast infection), though that was 15 years ago.

Does anyone with similar experience have some suggestions?  I know well enough about keeping iron up, but is there anything I can do to reduce the bleeding?  Should I try the pill again?

*I'm almost 42 and ovulating regularly.  I'm sure I'm nowhere near menopause yet, as that happens in late 50s in my family.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 05-10-2014, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I found vitex and magnesium at bedtime helped a lot. It took about 3 months to see results. 

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#3 of 3 Old 05-10-2014, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If I were in your shoes (I was in my teens and early 20s) , I'd look into finding a good naturopath and ask for tinctures for hormonal balance. I did take one right before I got pregnant but don't remember the name..

Ok, found it
http://www.aviva.ca/shop/products.asp?itemid=5877&catid=77

Other than dong quai, there are many other herbs - shatavari (from mountain rose herbs) can be used as a tea and is extremely good for dealing with menstruation issues.

Susan weed has a couple of books - maybe you can check those out from the library..

nerdy mom to DD1 7yo, D2 infant

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page