Panic attacks, chronic insomnia, hormonal imbalance, severe daily anxiety - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 10Likes
  • 1 Post By rs11
  • 1 Post By Katc8910
  • 1 Post By rs11
  • 1 Post By alicewyf
  • 1 Post By Chicharronita
  • 1 Post By Lins21
  • 1 Post By rs11
  • 1 Post By OrmEmbar
  • 1 Post By Lins21
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 30 Old 05-26-2014, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
 
Lins21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oshkosh Wisconsin
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Hi everyone,

Here's a bit of my history... became pregnant in 2006 had an ectopic and of course lost the baby, saved the tube. 1 year later I got pregnant and had a natural waterbirth and my daughter was born in 2008. I breast her for 3 years and felt amazing. I weaned her around 3 and around that time had some stressful events happen. So since, 2011 I have been struggling with severe panic attacks, minor depression, severe insomnia (many night I don't sleep at all) when I do sleep it's very light and I am aware of everything. I tried herbs, vitamins, acupuncture, massages, diet change (gluten free, paleo), food sensitiviety testing, hormone testing, slightly high tsh (6.2) 1 year ago, now its normal). My body is in a state of  alert and I cant get out of it. I finally went to a gyno and a doctor, the gyno was no help. The doctor had me try amytryptaline no help just caused me to feel depressed! Tried 2 week try of clonazepam, little relief. Naturopath drs. tried to help, no good results. Took homeopathic drops also, no results. Tried progesterone cream no good results. I can't sleep and have constant unnecessary anxiety and panic attacks. We are probably going to move to California to see if CBD oil can help me. I want my life back. I want to have a sibling for my daughter, but I am in no healthy state to do so. The only normalcy I felt was pregnancy and mainly breastfeeding. BTW, I refuse to be on drugs when if I try to get pregnant someday. But if something short term can help me get back to normal I am for it. Any advice? I tried almost everything. I have 3 days of severe painful periods but I am regular they come every 24 days. Any suggestions I'd really appreciate :)

 

 

Lindsay

Lins21 is online now  
#2 of 30 Old 05-26-2014, 10:22 AM
 
rs11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: U.S.
Posts: 272
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I would recommend having your thyroid tested again and possibly having an ultrasound to check your thyroid for goiters. I had the same symptoms, plus weight loss, and it turned out I had a multinodular goiter that had gone toxic, and the endocrinologist said it had gone back and forth for quite a while. They don't catch it unless your TSH is high right when they do the blood draw.

 

I had my thyroid taken out seven months ago and I am normal again. I have to take a pill everyday for the rest of my life to replace the thyroid hormone, but the alternative was worse since it had gotten to the point where it was trying to kill me.

 

As an alternative, or in addition to that, you might want to look into taking one of the SSRIs that designed to reduce anxiety. Paxil is one of the most calming.

Lins21 likes this.

Mother to one dd .
rs11 is offline  
#3 of 30 Old 05-26-2014, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
 
Lins21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oshkosh Wisconsin
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

They felt around my thyroid it felt fine. But I can check into an endocrinologist. Maybe a short term SSRI treatment? I am scared of those drugs I know quite a few that can't get of SSRIs now, that's why I haven't tried them yet. I wish there was an easy answer....Thanks for the response rsll.

Lins21 is online now  
#4 of 30 Old 05-27-2014, 05:13 PM
 
Katc8910's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 246
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would also recommend seeing an endocrinologist to check your thyroid function. 6.2 is definitely not normal. If you're hypothyroid, consider natural thyroid meds like Armour Thyroid instead of synthetic. Most doctors only want to prescribe the synthetic stuff, but many people do not improve until they are taking natural thyroid meds.

If you're willing to try amino acids, I would recommend "The Mood Cure." Lots of reviews on amazon so you can get an idea of what it's about. It helped me a lot for depression.

Also, when I struggled with panic attacks many years ago (during a really stressful period in my life) a book called "From Panic to Power" really helped me. It may seem hokey, but it was exactly what I needed back then and I was able to overcome severe panic attacks without medication.

Look into good probiotics. There is lots of research out there now about the impact of your gut bacteria on emotional health, especially anxiety.

Lastly, try a high potency DHA supplement. I use Nordic Naturals, 1,000 per day. Can't do without it.

One more thing. If you're willing to consider therapy, cognitive-behavioral works very well for anxiety and panic.
Lins21 likes this.

treehugger.gifgoorganic.jpggd.giftriadadopt.jpgfamilybed1.gif

Katc8910 is offline  
#5 of 30 Old 05-31-2014, 02:09 AM - Thread Starter
 
Lins21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oshkosh Wisconsin
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Thanks. My thyroid levels now are a little over 3 now so in normal range. I did read the Mood Cure, tried everything she said it didn't help. I also take cod liver oil and I high quality probiotic for over 2 years with no help. I'll try Panic to Power. Problem is I can't sleep I have constant high adrenaline levels that won't go down no matter what I do.
Lins21 is online now  
#6 of 30 Old 05-31-2014, 05:58 AM
 
rs11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: U.S.
Posts: 272
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
It sounds like you need a short-term treatment with SSRIs, if you don't mind my being so bold. They put me on Paxil for the same problems when my thyroid went out. It takes about two weeks to start taking effect and 6-8 weeks to reach the full effect, but I started getting better within days, and by the 6th week I could sleep again and longer woke up in the middle of a panic attack.

You're body has gone into overdrive and is constantly in flight or fight mode. You need to stop the cycle and give your body time to reset and learn the way it's supposed to be again. If you decide to go this route, find a doctor who is familiar with these medications and doesn't just write scripts. You need to be monitored. Also, when it's time to go off the medication (probably after 6 months to a year), you need to wean off very gradually. Most people stop cold turkey or wean off in a couple of weeks, and that's what causes problems.

I'm not a fan of Western medicine in general, but it does have its place. It saved my life last year and it does help lots of people.

If you want to know how I know all of this, I studied counseling for a couple of years before I decided it wasn't for me and I have a lot of family members and friends with anxiety and depression problems and/or out and out mental illness.
Lins21 likes this.

Mother to one dd .
rs11 is offline  
#7 of 30 Old 05-31-2014, 07:03 AM
 
OrmEmbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 441
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Subbing so I can come back and post when I have two hands to type faster.
Reminder to self: bitters, bood sugar, time frame, poppy/passionflower/motherwort
OrmEmbar is online now  
#8 of 30 Old 05-31-2014, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
 
Lins21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oshkosh Wisconsin
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Thanks rs11
Did you end up successfully weaning of your antidepressant than? The problem I seem to have is that so many go on them and can't get off them. My mom was on them for 20 years and tried coming off, and tried committing suicide 2 times. She hated the side effects and they weren't working good anymore. That is why I have a deep fear of antidepressants. I just want to break this bad cycle I am in and I have tried I think almost everything natural or the holistic way with no positive results. I am just so undecided, I want to feel great as when I was breastfeeding. And to find a doctor that is good is like finding a needle in a haystack. It is so stressful just to find one! They have never made me better only worse Not sure if I should try some meds and see what happens.


OrmEmbar- I haven't tried bitters yet, heard of it. I tried passionflower. When you have time I'd like to hear more.
Lins21 is online now  
#9 of 30 Old 06-01-2014, 10:05 AM
 
alicewyf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 993
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree with rs11. However most SSRIs need 6 mos-1 year to have long term effect. I promise you that if it works it will be worth it for you to have your life back. :-) don't give up if the first medication doesn't work! Some people have to try 2 or 3 to find one that helps them. Good luck mama. I hope you are feeling better soon!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lins21 likes this.

Alicewyf knit.gif , wife to DH reading.gif and mama to toddler Lillian energy.gif (7/09)!

 

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

Prayerfully expecting our little BOY in June of 2012! And so excited to be cd.gif and bfinfant.gifagain!

alicewyf is offline  
#10 of 30 Old 06-01-2014, 04:27 PM
 
Chicharronita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: In the Candyland of my Imagination
Posts: 1,578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
While your thyroid may be considered normal with a TSH of 3, I doubt that it is optimal. I feel best when it is around 1 or even less.

Have you taken your temperature first thing in the morning, and then every three hours throughout the day? It should be at least 97.8 upon awakening and slowly rise to at least 98.6 by the late afternoon.

Also if you haven't done so you may find the free T3, free T4 and thyroid antibodies (anti-TPO and TgAb) tests can give you more information about your thyroid. You may also want to do the four times a day salivary cortisol test.

It sounds like you're low in progesterone, but if your cortisol levels are high it will be very difficult to supplement with it. You may also be low in estradiol.

I highly recommend reading up on the articles at the Stop the Thyroid Madness site. Stopthethyroidmadness.com

One last thing: I hope you are eating enough and not skipping meals? All the herbs and supplements in the world won't make up for a low-calorie diet. Merely not eating enough can cause many of the problems you describe, and it's a common thing that I see among the health-minded.
Lins21 likes this.

Chicharronita is offline  
#11 of 30 Old 06-01-2014, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
 
Lins21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oshkosh Wisconsin
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
So, those who have gone on SSRIs, who has gotten off of them? Because when I TTC hopefully someday I refuse to be on them....


Chicharronita- I have read Stop the Thyroid Madness, also I had saliva tests done, took progesterone, had all the thyroid tests everything is normal. I took progesterone cream with no results. I did take temperatures over a year ago. My temps were normal. Before all of this happened I skipped a lot of meals, breastfed a lot, and drank caffeine So I was on the go to much breastfeeding which was hard on my body, and now my body is struggling to feel calm and rested again. Thanks for you responses.
Chicharronita likes this.
Lins21 is online now  
#12 of 30 Old 06-01-2014, 08:09 PM
 
OrmEmbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 441
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Still trying to figure out the new website. Too hard to type long posts on my phone while wrestling with a toddler who should be asleep but wants to play . Need to get a chance to use the desktop.
Just want you to know I haven't forgotten you!
OrmEmbar is online now  
#13 of 30 Old 06-01-2014, 10:25 PM
 
Chicharronita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: In the Candyland of my Imagination
Posts: 1,578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins21 View Post

Chicharronita- I have read Stop the Thyroid Madness, also I had saliva tests done, took progesterone, had all the thyroid tests everything is normal. I took progesterone cream with no results. I did take temperatures over a year ago. My temps were normal. Before all of this happened I skipped a lot of meals, breastfed a lot, and drank caffeine So I was on the go to much breastfeeding which was hard on my body, and now my body is struggling to feel calm and rested again. Thanks for you responses.
Sounds like you've been through a lot! I breastfed for 4.5 years while working part-time from home, drank a TON of coffee and also needed a lot of naps. It took years to even start to get back to normal since by the end of it all I was extremely hypothyroid and hypoadrenal. I hope you find some good solutions.

Chicharronita is offline  
#14 of 30 Old 06-02-2014, 06:10 AM
 
rs11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: U.S.
Posts: 272
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins21 View Post
Thanks rs11
Did you end up successfully weaning of your antidepressant than? The problem I seem to have is that so many go on them and can't get off them. My mom was on them for 20 years and tried coming off, and tried committing suicide 2 times. She hated the side effects and they weren't working good anymore. That is why I have a deep fear of antidepressants. I just want to break this bad cycle I am in and I have tried I think almost everything natural or the holistic way with no positive results. I am just so undecided, I want to feel great as when I was breastfeeding. And to find a doctor that is good is like finding a needle in a haystack. It is so stressful just to find one! They have never made me better only worse Not sure if I should try some meds and see what happens.
I'm still working on it. Like I said, it's not something you do overnight or in two weeks like most MDs think; you need to gradually reduce the dose over a period of weeks to months. I've been on it for a year, so I'm taking 6 months to wean myself off of it.

20 years is too long to take an SSRI unless you have a major mental illness, and it's no wonder your mother had trouble weaning off of them after that length of time. Like I said before, most of these are meant to be taken for 6-12 months.

If you are hesitant to take an SSRI, look into some of the new anti-anxiety drugs that are supposed to be less trouble to get off of. I'm not talking about klonopin and similar drugs, but Cymbalta, Effexor, Wellbutrin, etc.
Lins21 likes this.

Mother to one dd .
rs11 is offline  
#15 of 30 Old 06-02-2014, 12:16 PM
 
OrmEmbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 441
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Okay, I'm back with two hands for typing, yay!

First, I want to send you a virtual hug @Lins21
It is so hard to be in that place of feeling trapped in anxiety. I absolutely believe that you will find your way out of that trap and I sure hope you come back to let us know what worked!

Second, your situation is waaay too complex for me to give anything other than ideas for things to explore. I am not a doctor so I am not offering medical advice. I CAN offer some thoughts and some herbal education. Frankly, without knowing more details, even that will be of limited use, so please just take what I offer for what it is - just a bit of info. : )

What I would most like to offer is to help you find a practitioner that can really help you find what you need to move through this in a way that makes you feel hopeful. Please PM me if you want help with that. Having the right practitioner to partner with can make all the difference. I have colleagues working in healthcare whom I can ask for referrals. They live throughout the US and in several other countries. Mostly complimentary/alternative practitioners, but I can ask them for endocrinologist, MDs, or other referrals you are looking for.

Now, back to my reminders to myself: bood sugar, time frame, bitters, poppy/passionflower/motherwort

When we get stuck in a sympathetic nervous system response (the classic "fight or flight" scenario) it takes concerted effort and lots of help to move out of that space. We then need to re-train our whole being to NOT jump right back into that panic mode every time we encounter a stressful situation or our blood sugar drops or we smell/taste/hear something that brings us to that traumatic experience.

I got myself into feeling constant anxiety and insomnia just by letting myself skip meals at work because there was so much work to do. It did not help that I was working under someone who was toxic to be around and I was so young that I wanted to please rather than say "hey, this is not healthy, I need this to be different!" I had also become an instant parent to a 2 year old and had another big life event happening at the same time. Skipping meals might not be so bad for some people, but I have a quick metabolism and our body starts pumping adrenaline when blood sugar drops. This signals a variety of things, including the release of cortisol from the adrenals and the break down of muscle tissue to make glucose. Our bodies get so used to this pattern that it can continue even if there is no need.

It took me 2 years of making sure I did my best to never let my blood sugars drop enough to trigger the adrenaline cascade in order to feel stable again. I did see a difference within the first month, but it took those 2 years to re-train the panic response away since I didn't do as much as I should have to ensure better sleep.

You may not have the same blood sugar issues that I have, but if your blood sugar does drop it can trigger anxiety out of the blue. ( I had to have something to eat every 2 hours. )

So, what to do in the moment if blood sugar just dropped or if something else triggered a panic attack? I would use Bitters and flower essence (Bach Rescue Remedy or FES 5 Flower Formula) The act of tasting something bitter stimulates the digestive system. My understanding is that the Sympathetic (fight or flight) and Parasympathetic (Digestion and Sleep) nervous systems work like a teeter totter: When one is stimulated the other goes to sleep. So, when we are in a panic attack we have a fast beating heart, quick lungs and muscles ready to work, but digestion shuts down even if there is food in the system and sleep is impossible. When the Parasympathetic system is dominant the blood is flowing to the intestines to absorb and transport nutrients, the liver is able to do its job of breaking down and building up hormones, and deep sleep is possible.
Tasting bitters is the only thing that I personally have found that will get me out of a low blood sugar induce panic attack instantly. I have to follow up with food immediately but the bitters help me make an immediate shift. I, personally, would prefer a bitters formula specifically made to address your constitutional picture but anything that tastes bitter will do in a pinch - have any lettuce bolting in the garden?
Rescue Remedy or the 5 Flower Formula is a helping hand from the plant world that is specific to trauma. Works great for kiddos too! I would put my favorite number of drops into a glass or water bottle for the day. I kept a bottle of Rescue Remedy in my pocket for 2 years so I could take 1 drop any time I needed it.

Helping to re-train yourself to get good sleep is very important too. Do you fall asleep okay and then get woken up easily by noises or low blood sugar? Or do you have a hard time even falling asleep initially? Are you safe? Is it safe to let down your vigilance or is it serving a purpose right now?

If you are safe and it is safe to sleep deeply but you just need to develop new sleep habits: There are many options here, but remember that you can't go go go at a fast speed all day long and then expect yourself to slam on the breaks and sleep well. It may be that an herbal formula to support your nervous system throughout the day would be helpful in addition to some extra sleep aid at night. California Poppy and Motherwort can be used in small doses throughout the day (I would have someone create a formula that tastes okay, because those both taste nasty!!). A larger dose of those can be taken at night. Passionflower is specific for helping with those who wake in the middle of the night and cannot get back to sleep. You would take it in the evening before bed for this purpose. Again, a good practitioner would match the right herbs to the right person, so these are just a few herbs that one might consider.

Lastly, a cycle of 24 days makes me wonder about the need to bring better balance between estrogen and progesterone. It speaks to a dominant estrogen picture. (which could be due to extra estrogen or lack of progesterone) Vitex is used to balance this relationship and is a little weighted toward supporting the progesterone side of things. It usually takes a minimum of 3 months of daily Vitex to see significant changes. Warning: it may cause an extra menstrual period immediately after starting to take it (for some people). If you are depleted in B Vitamins the Vitex will not work well.

baby woke...will check in later
OrmEmbar is online now  
#16 of 30 Old 06-03-2014, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
 
Lins21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oshkosh Wisconsin
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicharronita View Post
Sounds like you've been through a lot! I breastfed for 4.5 years while working part-time from home, drank a TON of coffee and also needed a lot of naps. It took years to even start to get back to normal since by the end of it all I was extremely hypothyroid and hypoadrenal. I hope you find some good solutions.



I got my DHEA tested and it's normal. The only days I get deep sleep is the night before my period, and around day 20-21. It's like clockwork. I know my hormones are messed up but I tried everything except the pill to fix them Any suggestions?
Lins21 is online now  
#17 of 30 Old 06-03-2014, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
 
Lins21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oshkosh Wisconsin
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs11 View Post
I'm still working on it. Like I said, it's not something you do overnight or in two weeks like most MDs think; you need to gradually reduce the dose over a period of weeks to months. I've been on it for a year, so I'm taking 6 months to wean myself off of it.

20 years is too long to take an SSRI unless you have a major mental illness, and it's no wonder your mother had trouble weaning off of them after that length of time. Like I said before, most of these are meant to be taken for 6-12 months.

If you are hesitant to take an SSRI, look into some of the new anti-anxiety drugs that are supposed to be less trouble to get off of. I'm not talking about klonopin and similar drugs, but Cymbalta, Effexor, Wellbutrin, etc.


Thanks for the info! Good luck on the weaning, hope you have no problems. Do you have a regular doctor, I tried a OBGYN, MD, naturopaths, and no one thinks I am suffering. It's so frustrating!
Lins21 is online now  
#18 of 30 Old 06-03-2014, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
 
Lins21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oshkosh Wisconsin
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrmEmbar View Post
Okay, I'm back with two hands for typing, yay!

First, I want to send you a virtual hug @Lins21
It is so hard to be in that place of feeling trapped in anxiety. I absolutely believe that you will find your way out of that trap and I sure hope you come back to let us know what worked!

Second, your situation is waaay too complex for me to give anything other than ideas for things to explore. I am not a doctor so I am not offering medical advice. I CAN offer some thoughts and some herbal education. Frankly, without knowing more details, even that will be of limited use, so please just take what I offer for what it is - just a bit of info. : )

What I would most like to offer is to help you find a practitioner that can really help you find what you need to move through this in a way that makes you feel hopeful. Please PM me if you want help with that. Having the right practitioner to partner with can make all the difference. I have colleagues working in healthcare whom I can ask for referrals. They live throughout the US and in several other countries. Mostly complimentary/alternative practitioners, but I can ask them for endocrinologist, MDs, or other referrals you are looking for.

Now, back to my reminders to myself: bood sugar, time frame, bitters, poppy/passionflower/motherwort

When we get stuck in a sympathetic nervous system response (the classic "fight or flight" scenario) it takes concerted effort and lots of help to move out of that space. We then need to re-train our whole being to NOT jump right back into that panic mode every time we encounter a stressful situation or our blood sugar drops or we smell/taste/hear something that brings us to that traumatic experience.

I got myself into feeling constant anxiety and insomnia just by letting myself skip meals at work because there was so much work to do. It did not help that I was working under someone who was toxic to be around and I was so young that I wanted to please rather than say "hey, this is not healthy, I need this to be different!" I had also become an instant parent to a 2 year old and had another big life event happening at the same time. Skipping meals might not be so bad for some people, but I have a quick metabolism and our body starts pumping adrenaline when blood sugar drops. This signals a variety of things, including the release of cortisol from the adrenals and the break down of muscle tissue to make glucose. Our bodies get so used to this pattern that it can continue even if there is no need.

It took me 2 years of making sure I did my best to never let my blood sugars drop enough to trigger the adrenaline cascade in order to feel stable again. I did see a difference within the first month, but it took those 2 years to re-train the panic response away since I didn't do as much as I should have to ensure better sleep.

You may not have the same blood sugar issues that I have, but if your blood sugar does drop it can trigger anxiety out of the blue. ( I had to have something to eat every 2 hours. )

So, what to do in the moment if blood sugar just dropped or if something else triggered a panic attack? I would use Bitters and flower essence (Bach Rescue Remedy or FES 5 Flower Formula) The act of tasting something bitter stimulates the digestive system. My understanding is that the Sympathetic (fight or flight) and Parasympathetic (Digestion and Sleep) nervous systems work like a teeter totter: When one is stimulated the other goes to sleep. So, when we are in a panic attack we have a fast beating heart, quick lungs and muscles ready to work, but digestion shuts down even if there is food in the system and sleep is impossible. When the Parasympathetic system is dominant the blood is flowing to the intestines to absorb and transport nutrients, the liver is able to do its job of breaking down and building up hormones, and deep sleep is possible.
Tasting bitters is the only thing that I personally have found that will get me out of a low blood sugar induce panic attack instantly. I have to follow up with food immediately but the bitters help me make an immediate shift. I, personally, would prefer a bitters formula specifically made to address your constitutional picture but anything that tastes bitter will do in a pinch - have any lettuce bolting in the garden?
Rescue Remedy or the 5 Flower Formula is a helping hand from the plant world that is specific to trauma. Works great for kiddos too! I would put my favorite number of drops into a glass or water bottle for the day. I kept a bottle of Rescue Remedy in my pocket for 2 years so I could take 1 drop any time I needed it.

Helping to re-train yourself to get good sleep is very important too. Do you fall asleep okay and then get woken up easily by noises or low blood sugar? Or do you have a hard time even falling asleep initially? Are you safe? Is it safe to let down your vigilance or is it serving a purpose right now?

If you are safe and it is safe to sleep deeply but you just need to develop new sleep habits: There are many options here, but remember that you can't go go go at a fast speed all day long and then expect yourself to slam on the breaks and sleep well. It may be that an herbal formula to support your nervous system throughout the day would be helpful in addition to some extra sleep aid at night. California Poppy and Motherwort can be used in small doses throughout the day (I would have someone create a formula that tastes okay, because those both taste nasty!!). A larger dose of those can be taken at night. Passionflower is specific for helping with those who wake in the middle of the night and cannot get back to sleep. You would take it in the evening before bed for this purpose. Again, a good practitioner would match the right herbs to the right person, so these are just a few herbs that one might consider.

Lastly, a cycle of 24 days makes me wonder about the need to bring better balance between estrogen and progesterone. It speaks to a dominant estrogen picture. (which could be due to extra estrogen or lack of progesterone) Vitex is used to balance this relationship and is a little weighted toward supporting the progesterone side of things. It usually takes a minimum of 3 months of daily Vitex to see significant changes. Warning: it may cause an extra menstrual period immediately after starting to take it (for some people). If you are depleted in B Vitamins the Vitex will not work well.

baby woke...will check in later

Thanks for the hug. It's nice having people who care responding to me. The healthcare system just brushes me off, and I am left still suffering.


I am not sure what kind of doctor I need at this point. I am pretty sure I have endometriosis, hormonal imbalance, panic disorder (blood sugar issues), anxiety, insomnia, food sensitivities. I tried so many kind of Dr.s not sure what to do.


Also, I think what started everything was my blood sugar going haywire causing adrenaline to release causing a very vicious cycle with panic attacks and insomnia. Which is how you explained it. I got my blood sugar tested all normal. I have to eat every 2 hours or I feel weird. I have very high metabolism I think. I eat and eat and don't gain weight.


I did try Bach rescue Remedy with no results, and some single Bach Remedies, I haven't tried Fes% flower formula. I can give that a try. Thanks. I haven't tried Bitters, any recommendations on a company that sells quality Bitters?


I have a hard time even falling asleep, and staying asleep. My daughter is 6 now, but I was up every few hours when I breastfed her for 3 years. My body is stuck in such a weird sleep cycle. I only get deep sleep the day before my period, and around day 20-21. I am safe but I think my body or subconscious brain thinks I am not


I haven't tried California Poppy and Motherwort, not sure where I can get it? Amazon.com maybe? I tried Passionflower, with no results. I did try a 2 week stint with Clonazepam with only little relaxation results, do you think herbs could even touch me if Clonazepam barely helped?


I tried Vitex caps by Gaia, little results, maybe I can try a tincture. I have horrible periods, do you think Vitex can help that also? BTW, I felt great breastfeeding, I think my hormones were balanced, loved it. When I started getting my periods back 2 years after breastfeeding they were painless! After the 3 year of breastfeeding (when I stopped) my periods were horrible and I got severe anxiety, etc...


Thanks!! Really appreciate everyone's help. Any more experiences, advice, sure helps me
Lins21 is online now  
#19 of 30 Old 06-04-2014, 08:05 AM
 
Chicharronita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: In the Candyland of my Imagination
Posts: 1,578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins21 View Post


Also, I think what started everything was my blood sugar going haywire causing adrenaline to release causing a very vicious cycle with panic attacks and insomnia. Which is how you explained it. I got my blood sugar tested all normal. I have to eat every 2 hours or I feel weird. I have very high metabolism I think. I eat and eat and don't gain weight.
I wouldn't be surprised if that started everything. Did you ever get your cortisol levels tested? The four-times-a-day salivary test is a good one.


Quote:
I tried Vitex caps by Gaia, little results, maybe I can try a tincture. I have horrible periods, do you think Vitex can help that also? BTW, I felt great breastfeeding, I think my hormones were balanced, loved it. When I started getting my periods back 2 years after breastfeeding they were painless! After the 3 year of breastfeeding (when I stopped) my periods were horrible and I got severe anxiety, etc...
You may need to consume or supplement with extra magnesium. I recommend magnesium glycinate for supplementing as it has the fewest if any side effects (as opposed to cheap ones like the oxide form).

Magnesium also helps with balancing blood sugar.

Chicharronita is offline  
#20 of 30 Old 06-04-2014, 11:33 AM
 
OrmEmbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 441
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins21 View Post

I tried Vitex caps by Gaia, little results, maybe I can try a tincture. I have horrible periods, do you think Vitex can help that also?
I like vitex in tincture form, taken first thing in the morning. Eat right after taking it. Taking vitex first thing in the AM is thought to help realign the endocrine system and set the correct pattern for the rest of the day. Make sure you are also taking a good high potency b-complex and getting enough good fats (fish, flax, pastured pork and lard, grass fed beef) so the endocrine system has the basic building blocks it needs. Also seconding the pp recommendation for magnesium.

Vitex takes a minimum of 3 months to work. I usually say 3 months plus one month for every year things have been out of whack in order to restore a good foundation.

This really is one piece of a whole picture of support. I would want to see some adaptogens that are chosen to match your constitution and not drain your energy resources by giving you false energy to keep going and depleting yourself. Caffeine is a perfect exams of a depleting energy booster.

Warning: the first day or two after getting a solid night's rest makes me feel extremely exhausted. Don't panic! I think it is just the way our bodies say " yay, sleep! Need to send the tired signal so we can get more of that!"

I also used Metagenics meal replacement smoothies as snacks between meals. This way I could increase my nutrient intake without having to chew 6 huge meals a day. I found breakfast to be my most important meal and I needed all 3: protein, fats and carbs. More of everything than I first guessed I would need- like 2 eggs plus sausage plus veggie plus toast. This makes a huge difference in my energy levels in the afternoon. I no longer go looking for sweets or feel like I need a nap at 2pm if I just eat a good breakfast. I still need a morning snack and lunch but I can't make up for a meager breakfast by eating more later in the day.

Ok. Hope some of this helps!

PM me if you want dosing info for the herbs. I can get you in touch with a clinical herbalist either in your area or one that can do phone consults.

Hugs!
Chicharronita likes this.
OrmEmbar is online now  
#21 of 30 Old 06-06-2014, 09:12 PM
 
One_Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,735
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I would get a blood draw to test for pcos and mineral and vitamin levels. I had similar symptoms with pcos and it is very treatable. One treatment option actually increases your chances of conceiving.

My supervisor had some strange things happen with her hormones every time she breastfed a child, an endocrinologist took a full panel and was able to help her manage it so she could nurse each of her children though.
One_Girl is offline  
#22 of 30 Old 06-10-2014, 02:43 AM - Thread Starter
 
Lins21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oshkosh Wisconsin
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicharronita View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if that started everything. Did you ever get your cortisol levels tested? The four-times-a-day salivary test is a good one.




You may need to consume or supplement with extra magnesium. I recommend magnesium glycinate for supplementing as it has the fewest if any side effects (as opposed to cheap ones like the oxide form).

Magnesium also helps with balancing blood sugar.

Thanks for response. I have had my cortisol tested (saliva) a few times. Results were high a couple years ago, the most recent one is normal.


I have taking magnesium citrate (CALM) for over 2 years. Not thinking it's helping but I still take it...
Lins21 is online now  
#23 of 30 Old 06-10-2014, 02:51 AM - Thread Starter
 
Lins21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oshkosh Wisconsin
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicharronita View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if that started everything. Did you ever get your cortisol levels tested? The four-times-a-day salivary test is a good one.




You may need to consume or supplement with extra magnesium. I recommend magnesium glycinate for supplementing as it has the fewest if any side effects (as opposed to cheap ones like the oxide form).

Magnesium also helps with balancing blood sugar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrmEmbar View Post
I like vitex in tincture form, taken first thing in the morning. Eat right after taking it. Taking vitex first thing in the AM is thought to help realign the endocrine system and set the correct pattern for the rest of the day. Make sure you are also taking a good high potency b-complex and getting enough good fats (fish, flax, pastured pork and lard, grass fed beef) so the endocrine system has the basic building blocks it needs. Also seconding the pp recommendation for magnesium.

Vitex takes a minimum of 3 months to work. I usually say 3 months plus one month for every year things have been out of whack in order to restore a good foundation.

This really is one piece of a whole picture of support. I would want to see some adaptogens that are chosen to match your constitution and not drain your energy resources by giving you false energy to keep going and depleting yourself. Caffeine is a perfect exams of a depleting energy booster.

Warning: the first day or two after getting a solid night's rest makes me feel extremely exhausted. Don't panic! I think it is just the way our bodies say " yay, sleep! Need to send the tired signal so we can get more of that!"

I also used Metagenics meal replacement smoothies as snacks between meals. This way I could increase my nutrient intake without having to chew 6 huge meals a day. I found breakfast to be my most important meal and I needed all 3: protein, fats and carbs. More of everything than I first guessed I would need- like 2 eggs plus sausage plus veggie plus toast. This makes a huge difference in my energy levels in the afternoon. I no longer go looking for sweets or feel like I need a nap at 2pm if I just eat a good breakfast. I still need a morning snack and lunch but I can't make up for a meager breakfast by eating more later in the day.

Ok. Hope some of this helps!

PM me if you want dosing info for the herbs. I can get you in touch with a clinical herbalist either in your area or one that can do phone consults.

Hugs!

Thanks for response. I can try the vitex tincture this time. Can it make anxiety worse?


I tried ashwaghanda, magnolia bark, Gaia adrenal support....not sure if Nettle may help?


I wonder if there is a clinical herbalist in my area?? I can PM you. I'm interestesd in dosing also
Lins21 is online now  
#24 of 30 Old 06-10-2014, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter
 
Lins21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oshkosh Wisconsin
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by One_Girl View Post
I would get a blood draw to test for pcos and mineral and vitamin levels. I had similar symptoms with pcos and it is very treatable. One treatment option actually increases your chances of conceiving.

My supervisor had some strange things happen with her hormones every time she breastfed a child, an endocrinologist took a full panel and was able to help her manage it so she could nurse each of her children though.


I wonder what kind of blood tests are needed that I didn't have already? My testosterone levels are the higher end of normal. I am not overweight. My periods come every month, just really painful. Insulin is normal.


Vitamin d was low. B's were high ( I was supplementing)I don't really know what other vitamin levels to check....


Thanks
Lins21 is online now  
#25 of 30 Old 06-10-2014, 07:12 AM
 
One_Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,735
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
The endocrinologist should know how to run a full panel, she said it only took a few vials of blood to test everything. They look at prolactin levels and for the levels of a few other hormones. Insulin may play a role but levels should still be normal as far as I know. There are a lot of full panels they should be able to run without you having to research which to ask for. I'd switch to another endocrinologist of this one is making you look for which tests to request rather than running tests.

Your d being low could be a major contributor to how you are feeling. I suggest getting that under control then pursuing other possible causes once they are back to normal.
One_Girl is offline  
#26 of 30 Old 06-16-2014, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter
 
Lins21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oshkosh Wisconsin
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by One_Girl View Post
The endocrinologist should know how to run a full panel, she said it only took a few vials of blood to test everything. They look at prolactin levels and for the levels of a few other hormones. Insulin may play a role but levels should still be normal as far as I know. There are a lot of full panels they should be able to run without you having to research which to ask for. I'd switch to another endocrinologist of this one is making you look for which tests to request rather than running tests.

Your d being low could be a major contributor to how you are feeling. I suggest getting that under control then pursuing other possible causes once they are back to normal.


Thanks
Lins21 is online now  
#27 of 30 Old 07-01-2014, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
 
Lins21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oshkosh Wisconsin
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Just to let everyone know, I got a little relief with everything I tried recently. I still can't fall into a deep sleep though, any other suggestions?




Thanks!
Lins21 is online now  
#28 of 30 Old 07-01-2014, 11:37 AM
 
OrmEmbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 441
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Hi!!

I am so glad to read your update! I have tried sending you a PM twice since I last wrote, but my messages got wiped out by the combination of the website changeover and my computer crashing every time I tried to post. I will keep trying!

Deep sleep might take some time to re-train into your system. Keep up with whatever is working!
OrmEmbar is online now  
#29 of 30 Old 07-01-2014, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
 
Lins21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oshkosh Wisconsin
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrmEmbar View Post
Hi!!

I am so glad to read your update! I have tried sending you a PM twice since I last wrote, but my messages got wiped out by the combination of the website changeover and my computer crashing every time I tried to post. I will keep trying!

Deep sleep might take some time to re-train into your system. Keep up with whatever is working!





Thanks I'll keep trying!
OrmEmbar likes this.
Lins21 is online now  
#30 of 30 Old 07-07-2014, 12:18 PM
 
Chicharronita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: In the Candyland of my Imagination
Posts: 1,578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins21 View Post
Just to let everyone know, I got a little relief with everything I tried recently. I still can't fall into a deep sleep though, any other suggestions?
I just found something to help the night waking I've been experiencing lately: taking 200 mg magnesium glycinate, 1 gram of taurine and 2 grams of glycine at bedtime. I started with 500 mg of glycine and built up to to 2 grams cautiously in case of side effects.

Also, I found out by chance that homeopathic Sepia is extremely relaxing. I took it before driving in the evening yesterday and had a hard time focusing on the road! What a strange strong reaction for a placebo sugar pill remedy with nothing in it. ;-)

Chicharronita is offline  
Reply

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off