DD won't/can't respect that i'm sick. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

Old 06-18-2014, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Unhappy DD won't/can't respect that i'm sick.

i have a stomach bug, and I'm in no mood to play with J, but she keeps pushing and pushing! example of a conversation we have these days: her: mama, play? me: mama's sick Jo-jo. her (whining and climbing on me): maaaaaaamaaaaaaa! plaaaaaaay!! me: no! her: yeeeeeeees! (then DH cuts in and distracts her.) what can i do?

30 years old, married to DH , Proud Mommy of DD 1 (22 months), and DD 2 (1 day old) by home water birth , and a CD , breastfeeding beyond infancy , and loving, mommy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2014, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
YIs this your 18 month old? If so, it's completely unrealistic to think she'll respect that you are sick. They don't operate like that. Sorry Hope you are feeling better soon.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
I agree - she is just too young to get it. As long as you're present, she's going to want to interact as normal. If there's someone else who can pitch in, I would be pretty unembarrassed about hiding out in the bedroom and staying there. Otherwise, today is maybe a day for tv, and stories. Or toddler games like "I'll lie on the couch and time you while you run to the other room and back." Or batting a ball back and forth across the floor and calling it catch.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I put on elmo and strawberry shortcake when dd was little. Taking ibuprofen also helped perk me up enough to interact.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigrl View Post
YIs this your 18 month old? If so, it's completely unrealistic to think she'll respect that you are sick. They don't operate like that. Sorry Hope you are feeling better soon.
she's my 19 month old. guess I was being unrealistic. what can I do, though?

30 years old, married to DH , Proud Mommy of DD 1 (22 months), and DD 2 (1 day old) by home water birth , and a CD , breastfeeding beyond infancy , and loving, mommy.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Do you have anyone that would be willing to take her to the park or something? Then bring her back tired and you can do a video or TV to get through to bedtime. They just don't get it at that age; mine would be even more clingy because they could tell something wasn't normal.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
There's a phenomenon that's been observed in mammals and I think is true of us too. If a mother animal gets hurt or sick and goes down, the babies (if they're big enough to move around) will nudge her to try to get her up again. This was very true when I was going through cancer treatment and my kids were 3 and 2. They're too young to control that type of behavior. If you're really, really sick, it's probably frightening for them in a very mammalian sort of way (we mammals need our mamas), and they're not old enough to override that with reason.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:41 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
were you the main parent taking care of her mostly?

if you dont have family or friends to help, here is what i would do.

find some quiet activities that she likes. reading? maybe she can bring her toys on the bed and play with you cheering her along (that is if you feel you are upto this)

at that age i had mastitis and was hallucinating from high temperature. dd was still nursing . she basically stayed in bed with me. we had a king mattress on the floor. i brought all her favourite toys in bed with me. made sure the table nearby had enough snacks and water and juice she had access to.

if i recall she first tried to get me up. when i didnt, we mostly spent the time with me telling stories and she nursing a lot.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Old 06-19-2014, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee View Post
were you the main parent taking care of her mostly?

if you dont have family or friends to help, here is what i would do.

find some quiet activities that she likes. reading? maybe she can bring her toys on the bed and play with you cheering her along (that is if you feel you are upto this)

at that age i had mastitis and was hallucinating from high temperature. dd was still nursing . she basically stayed in bed with me. we had a king mattress on the floor. i brought all her favourite toys in bed with me. made sure the table nearby had enough snacks and water and juice she had access to.

if i recall she first tried to get me up. when i didnt, we mostly spent the time with me telling stories and she nursing a lot.
thanks, I am the main parent for her, we have a special bond she doesn't have with DH, partly, I think, brought on by nursing, and she becomes very upset and even slightly mad If I become sick.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
good, she's going to want to interact as normal. If there's someone else who can pitch in, I would be pretty unembarrassed about hiding out in the bedroom and staying there.thanks
Old 07-02-2014, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

thanks, Mommas, i'm all better now, but DD has one of those i-feel-fide-baba-even-though-by-dose-is-rudding-into-by-bouth colds, and is spending her whole day running around/away from the tissue.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

my life.

User Tag List