Involved health issues: advice requested - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-27-2014, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Involved health issues: advice requested

There are several health issues I have been having and trying to talk to my care providers about, without much success. I know a little about herbs, homeopathy, and nutrition (I like Weston A Price, though I do not follow it anywhere near like I should). I am 33 years old and have birthed 2 children, with one living. I have PCOS, HPV (no warts), uncontrolled Type II Diabetes, morbid obesity, exhaustion no matter how much sleep I get, irritability, my personality is different than it used to be, my hair is falling out, trouble with my periods, vitamin d deficiency, allergies....I could go on. I have a limited income, so that makes things difficult. I would love to take fermented cod liver oil with high vitamin butter oil but just cannot right now. What would you all do as far as food, herbs,etc.? I will be speaking with my doctor about seeing an endocrinologist to address some things. I am tired of being exhausted, mean, obese, and unhealthy. Who I appear to be to others is not who I really am. Ugh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2014, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
If I was in your situation I would start with changing diet. I have found best health on mostly raw high-fat low-carb unprocessed food. It can be a huge challenge and I recommend that you transition gradually so that you don't have blood sugar problems and lose your motivation. I cut my carbs to less than 100g/day over 18months and now I am basically a different person: placid, satisfied, patient, and most of all healthy. I had mood problems and blood sugar fluctuations due to a high-carb diet. At one point I was eating vegetarian and that was the worst for my health.

I would start by counting your calories and macronutrients online (I used fitday, but it was years ago). You will need a fixed amount of protein per day (look it up by your age & target weight) and the rest of your calories will come from either fat or carbs. First track how much you have been eating by putting in some sample days and then begin to lower your carbs & calories week by week until you eventually reach your goal. Give yourself a lot of time, it will take time. Also be prepared for "induction flu" which is the withdrawal symptoms from carbohydrates. I would also join a low-carb support group because beating carb addiction can be extremely difficult. The movie FatHead was helpful to clear up some questions I had about carb addiction.

100-300g carbohydrates a day is a good long-term target.

In terms of cost, we have found that it saved money to eat high-fat low-carb. We are eating less that than half in volume of what we were eating and are eating only two small meals a day with no snacks because each meal is satisfying and we are full. Carbs are burned up quickly and excess stored as fat; then the blood sugar crash stimulates craving for more carbs. So you can eat and eat and have poor nutrition and gain weight & harm your body & spend a lot of money eating this way! Our meals are basically the equivalent of 1 fatty hamburgers (no bun) with a chunk of cheese & small serving of vegetables & fruit, twice a day, it isn't much food and doesn't have to cost a lot.

If you like eggs they are one of the best and cheapest foods anywhere. If you can get them at a farmers market where you know they are fresh you can take 2-3 yolks raw every day to help you meet your fat and vitamin needs, which is just as good as cod liver oil, IMO.

I like Weston Price too but I think the society promotes too many grains. We eat virtually no grain foods and don't need or miss them. They are no longer appealing or digest well for us and we prefer to get our carbs from nuts & veg & fruit.

You can grow your own herbs very easily. Oregano is one of the healthiest & it is perennial most of the USA. Take your herbs raw for best effect. Cut them into a salad or on top of your meals.

Love yourself and do what will bring out the best in you. You deserve to have good health and enjoy your life.

Best wishes
Puma

Last edited by pumabearclan; 07-03-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Hugs, mama. Sounds like your dealing with a lot of stuff right now.

I agree with a lot of what PumaBearClan suggests. I just wanted to add that you might want to check out a book called "Clean Green & Lean." My doctor suggested it to me for general detox but it's really geared toward weight loss through detox. It makes a lot of sense to me but I am not detoxing for weight loss so I can't tell you how well it works. Some of the dietary advice seems out of date to me (it supports low-fat, where I think whole foods are best) but it could easily be combined with other dietary approaches as it's really not about diet except when it comes to foods that are good for detoxification. Anyway, it might be worth checking out at least. And while it suggests a lot of supplements, I imagine you can adopt some of the more affordable detox methods for a slower overall effect. Good luck!

Most of all, don't beat yourself up for what you can't do (like FCLO, etc) but just do what you can, a little bit at a time.

Mama to my little busy bee. 

User Tag List