UTI symptoms at 36 weeks - HELP - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-08-2004, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I am in big trouble. I have UTI symptoms which didn't clear up with cranberry tablets, vitamin C and probiotics, so I went to my moron allopath for a urine culture. He saw nothing on the slide (it's going to the lab to make sure), and thinks that it's a mechanical issue i.e. baby is sitting on my bladder and irritating it. The cure for this? Birth.

I don't know what to do. I CAN'T spend the next 3-5 weeks with UTI pain. I took some pyridine (Uristat) which relieved the discomfort a bit, but I can't stay on that for 3-5 weeks either.

Anybody have any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2004, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Urine isn't examined under the microscope in the office until it is centrifuged by the lab. In the office we dip the urine with a dipstick that tells us whether there are white blood cells, red blood cells, and nitrites (made by bacteria) in the urine (and then a bunch of other stuff). The three that I named are what we look to turn positive when a person has a UTI. However, I have found that in pregnant women a culture will often come back with growth even in the absence of a positive dip stick. When a culture comes back positive then the doctor will treat the infection. In the meantime I would drink a TON of water and wait to hear if the culture comes back with growth.
Old 05-08-2004, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info!

My doc's office did a dipstick, and then I had to wait about 10-15 minutes while they did something else that involved prepping a slide and having the doc go look at it. THEN they sent it off to a lab. Any idea what they might have done with the slide in the office?
Old 05-08-2004, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Be careful- if it is a true UTI, it can cause you to go into labor. (My old OB told me infections, often undiagnosed, can cause labor to start from the irritation.)

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
Old 05-09-2004, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Well, it WAS a UTI. I got a fever and the shakes last night, so we went to the ER and just got back. It hasn't spread to the kidneys though, and the babe looked really good on the EFM once I rehyrdated and had some Tylenol for my fever.

I am going to strangle my doctor, though.

Now, off to bed!

User Tag List