Is the pill safe for me at 42? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 07-16-2014, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Is the pill safe for me at 42?

My insurance company says I have to try BC pills before they will pay for a procedure I want for my irregular periods. The pill should be a safe choice for me. I am 42, have always been thin and healthy and don't smoke. I drink moderately (red wine).

I was on BC pills on and off for 13 years. It was a much higher strength when I started. Today's pills are a lower dose. I tolerated it well, but I believe it caused some health problems (eczema that never went away and loss of sex drive) and I suspect it messed with my immune system.

To make matters worse, I haven't been feeling well in the past 5 years with strange transient symptoms that come and go. I have symptoms of MS and/or an autoimmune disorder, but blood tests haven't found anything. Perhaps some of my symptoms are just from hormonal fluctuations and the pill will help!!

If the pill works well, it will be tempting stay on it to avoid surgery! How long can one stay on the pill? Can I stay on it until menopause...say another 10-15 years to mid 50s? Is that safe? The stroke risk freaks me out. I know of many people who have had strokes at a young age.

Anyone over 40 happy on the pill?
#2 of 2 Old 07-25-2014, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarroq View Post
My insurance company says I have to try BC pills before they will pay for a procedure I want for my irregular periods. The pill should be a safe choice for me. I am 42, have always been thin and healthy and don't smoke. I drink moderately (red wine).

I was on BC pills on and off for 13 years. It was a much higher strength when I started. Today's pills are a lower dose. I tolerated it well, but I believe it caused some health problems (eczema that never went away and loss of sex drive) and I suspect it messed with my immune system.

To make matters worse, I haven't been feeling well in the past 5 years with strange transient symptoms that come and go. I have symptoms of MS and/or an autoimmune disorder, but blood tests haven't found anything. Perhaps some of my symptoms are just from hormonal fluctuations and the pill will help!!

If the pill works well, it will be tempting stay on it to avoid surgery! How long can one stay on the pill? Can I stay on it until menopause...say another 10-15 years to mid 50s? Is that safe? The stroke risk freaks me out. I know of many people who have had strokes at a young age.

Anyone over 40 happy on the pill?
If this was me, I'd have my doctor tell my insurance provider that I have already been on the pill and had problems with it.

Honestly, I would rather have a surgical procedure for treatment and be done with it rather than have hormone therapy for years on end, with the associated risks.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page