hearing loss from fluid in ears--ideas for natural treatment? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-11-2004, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My four year old has a major speech impairment. We are beginning a new speech therapy and I got his hearing checked again just to make sure that base was covered. He scored poorly so we were sent to an audiologist and ENT. He was diagnosed with mild hearing loss due to fluid pressure in his ears. The ENT was very mainstream and wrote me a prescription for "something to dry it up" and told me to come back in 6 weeks and he'd make sure it had dried up. He said it is common, can occur again and again, and is usually due to allergies.
I hesitate to give him something to "dry it up"--whatever the medication is won't treat what's CAUSING the fluid in the first place. And if I suppress it I know it can just redirect to another part of his body. He is in no pain and my instinct is to just let it be and trust that his body will clear it out eventually (the audiologist said this problem usually resolves itself by age 6 or 7) BUT, because he is really starting to be traumatized by his total lack of ability to communicate verbally with anyone other than me, daddy, and sister, (due to the speech problem) I feel that maybe it is worth it to treat the symptom if it could help his speech.
BTW, he has never had an ear infection and has no other symptoms of allergies.
Has anyone experienced something like this and effectively treated it w/o drugs? Everything in my homeopathy and self-help books is about ear infections, not chronic fluid.

Thanks!
Amy
#2 of 3 Old 05-11-2004, 08:16 PM

Have you tried a chiropractor? My son has allergies and our chiro helps tremendously. If your son's fluid is caused by allergies, perhaps an adjustment would help it to drain.

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#3 of 3 Old 05-12-2004, 07:00 PM

I second the advice to see a chiropractor. Yes, I'm biased - chirowife - but my 2 children have never had an ear infection or any challenges like that. The first chiropractic adjustment ever restored hearing. You will, of course, need to find a chiropractor who is comfortable adjusting children. www.icpa4kids.com is an excellent source, or you can email me and I'll see what I can do to help you. Best wishes!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page