2Likes
  • 1 Post By Viola
  • 1 Post By luckiest

#1 of 4 Old 03-07-2015, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Long Term Effects of Gall Bladder Surgery

Gall Bladder problems seem to run in my family.

Risk factors seem to be the 6-Fs - fat, forty, female, fertile, fair, and family risk factors.

I have never had a problem with my gall bladder - I am in my 60s and have children.

I have three younger sisters who lost their gall bladders after delivery of their children in their 20s. Their children have gall bladder problems also. I just realized that my sons have gall bladder problems but two of them got it under control with diet. This has been for five years for one son and one year for another. Another son has had four major attacks in the last three years.

My sister claims she has suffered with phantom gall bladder pain for the last 30 years. A nurse told me this is from the old techniques from 30 yrs ago, and this no longer happens.

Are there any long term side effects from gall bladder removal, cholecystectomy, that a persons should know about?

Doctors rarely discuss these problems until after the surgery is done. The only side effect discussed with my son is the lack of gall bladder attacks if it is removed.

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it." ~ George Orwell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 03-09-2015, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Interesting. I don't know. My mother had her gallbladder out in her 60's, I think, and my father never had his out, although he was having problems with it around the time he died. My mother had a regular surgery and one of her younger coworkers had hers out laparoscopically a year or so later, and that woman had a terrible recovery for some reason related to how it was done. My sister had hers out very young, but I don't know if she has problems related to it, because she ended up having WLS some years later. She has problems from that. Most of what I have heard is not to eat big fatty meals, but then I hear the same thing about people who are having gallbladder problems, so I don't know.

I'd be interested in hearing the stories.
applejuice likes this.
#3 of 4 Old 03-27-2015, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
If you don't have a gallbladder, you need to take a bike salt supplement with every meal, and also a gut healing supplement blend. Without a gall bladder, you just have a slow steady drip of bile into your duodenum. That means you don't have enough bile when you need it (after a meal, hence the need for a bile salt supplement with meals), and it's dripping when you don't need it (when no food is present, which is very irritating to the duodenum). It can cause just general poor digestion/absorption and gut irritation down the line, any number of digestive issues, especially constipation.

It's best to work with a naturopath or nutritional therapy practitioner so you can have access to professional supplement lines that don't sell directly to consumers. It's really unfortunate that doctors don't give his basic information out to their patients.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
applejuice likes this.

Living and loving in ATX with DH (of 7 years) and DS (3.5)
#4 of 4 Old 03-27-2015, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
It's really unfortunate that doctors don't give his basic information out to their patients.
Yes. Absolutely.

My child was recently hospitalized for this condition and refused surgery. I repeatedly asked the doctors, surgeons, and nurses about what to expect after surgery and was told that there are no conditions to be concerned about, there is no more pain, and life goes on without incident. I was re-assured that the surgical techniques are so good that there is no problems to worry about.

Yes, OK.

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it." ~ George Orwell

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page