Scabies & Ringworm - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-07-2002, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Part of this post is a question and the other part is me venting!!!

I need to vent first so here is goes: My ds is 5 1/2 yo and has been at the same daycare part time for 4+ yrs. The provider, is wonderful, educated, etc. But, there is another parent there who has 4 kids and never responds to her kids health care needs. Its not a matter of money for her & her dh (they are well off), but she brings them when they have day-glow green snotty noses, they are throwing up and now......SCABIES & RINGWORM. She told the daycare prov. assistant that it wasn't catching. Prior to that they had to INSIST on her taking her child in TODAY. I am LIVID!!! I didn't believe her that it wasn't catching, so I got onto the net and checked. It said that it is highly catching!!!

So, who is right........her MD supposedly told her that it wasn't, I have a call into my MD and the net said it was. Does anyone know for sure??? I'm going to go pick up my ds now, because I want him out of there ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks~

Lisa

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2002, 10:10 PM

Yikes! Some parents just dont think.: ARGH! I have no experience with either but I know damn well they are contagious! I hope your kids luck out!!!
Old 07-22-2002, 01:22 AM

I tend to agree with y'all that it's contagious, but I wanted to note that Dr. Sears, in The Baby Book, writes that it's less contagious than impetigo and not a reason to keep your child home from daycare...

I'm currently fighting it with my son who is about twelve weeks old and am concerned that he got it from dear husband who has had a skin fungal infection for years... I, apparently, am resistant.

Could those of you who've conquered it with tea tree oil, grapefruit seed extract or colloidial silver please post specifics--how much, how often, how did you apply it. Also do you need to disinfect sheets, clothing and other things that the ringworm has contacted? How?

Regards,
Sarah
Old 07-22-2002, 02:58 AM

I know that scabies is very contageous. It starts with a fierce itch between the fingers or toes - usually the hands first. It is caused by a mite that burrows under the skin and needs treatment to kill the mites. I caught it from a child holding my hand for a few minutes - it is extremely itchy and unpleasant, so if your child complains of itching, get treated quickly. Once you treat it, it takes 24 hours, I believe, to kill the mites, during which time you shouldn't be in contact with others. You may need to treat the whole family.

I would be surprised if the children had both scabies and ringworm though, as I don't think the two things are connected.
Old 08-13-2002, 11:35 PM

My child and I got ringworm, which is contagios, and you need to clean bedding. I tried all the other stuff and finally started using lotrimin and mixed it with tea tree oil. It worked, but you have to be persistent and treat it for a month
Scabies on the other hand, yech, I got them as a kid and boy do they itch, same kind of selfish mommy senario, I got it because my friend had it but failed to tell my parents and let me sleep over. These buggers like bedding and warmth. I have heard that Neem oil works well, you can add essential oils to it too.

User Tag List