Breast Lump - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 10-09-2015, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Breast Lump

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this and I don't really have anyone in real life to talk to about it, aside from receptionists that disconnect my call or put me on hold for so long I have to hang up to. Intervened with a child induced disaster.
I have a lump in my breast I went to a urgent care and they said it was probably just a cyst because of my age, health history etc. She recommended a mammogram but when I called to schedule one I was told I can not bring my kids with me. I don't know anyone in the city I just moved to who I would trust to watch them, and I know they would just sit quietly and watch for the supposed fifteen minuets the procedure will take.
On one hand I feel it's not to big of a deal because in my totally non professional opinion, but from what i have learned from google the urgent care nurse was probably right and it is just a cyst. However I do want to get it drained or removed because this month and last month, the week before my period it w just plaipainful and huge. I wish I had one on both sides despite the pain because I look lopsided by a whole cup size. I have been getting odd looks I don't appreciate the past couple of days.

Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 10-09-2015, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I'm sorry that you're alone when it comes to something like this.

As far as kid management solutions: You might be able to call a daycare to see if any have hourly rates, or maybe an afterschool or child watch program at your local Y will help you out long enough to get it taken care of.

OTOH what are they going to do if the kids come? Make you reschedule? If it were me I'd bring them anyway, but I'm kind of confrontational like that. Your best bet is probably to find some professional childcare for that afternoon, since if you do have it removed/drained, you'll probably need childcare for that as well.

As for the awkward stares, tell them to eff off. They're your breasts, they're not showcase pieces for the world. Rude people need to learn some manners.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 of 4 Old 10-10-2015, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Thanks Incubator. I guess I will just make an appointment and bring my littles with me. Who knows it could turn into an educational experience. At the urgent care the nurse practitioner seemed a bit akward and kept saying how shed never given this exam in front of children before. I just chuckled as my kids entertained themselves pretending the inflaited gloves were cows udders, which likely led to her feeling more awkward.
I am one of those uber picky moms when it comes to who I will leave my kids with. Before moving to the city I had a few other mom friends from church whom I could leave my kids with but now it would have to be a regular daycare type situation. I have worked at daycares and preschools in the past and am utterly shocked how horrid some of them are.
One of the daycares I worked at was considered the best in the town near where I lived at the time, it was common to not change pee'ed in diapers unless it was a kids pick up time soon. that and the older toddler/preschool kids were often left to cry it out under the assumption oh they won't hurt themselves if there alone bu at least this way they won't hurt other kids. The preschool I worked at was just as bad. So yeah I won't leave my kids with anyone despite five star reviews. Maybe I am bit of a helicopter parent.
I am a bit too polite to tell people to eff off. Luckily this month is cool enough to wear a big hoodie when I go outside now. Or perhaps find some way to incorporate the swelling into a conjoined twin Halloween costume a few weeks early...

Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.
#4 of 4 Old 10-22-2015, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Where do you live? Maybe a mama would come and sit with your kids for you at your mammogram? That way you don't have to drop them off anywhere or really trust a stranger since they'll be sitting right there in the waiting room? I would do that for another mama in a heartbeat. I'm like you - we've never used a babysitter other than my mom or sister and my kids are 12 and 13 so I totally understand not wanting to leave your kids with someone you don't know.

I'm in the Phoenix area - if you're anywhere near, I'd come sit with you. Hugs mama! Keep in mind that the overwhelming majority of breast lumps are absolutely nothing to be concerned about. Will keep you in my prayers.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page