I'm disturbed-Please help me :( - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 10-16-2015, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm disturbed-Please help me :(

Hey guys,
I’m 6 weeks pregnant and am facing some serious problems in my family. My father-in-law is suffering from Alzheimer's disease and he’s showing intense anger at times and throwing things towards all other family members. This made me anxious about my health and am a little scared. I know, It’s our responsibility to look after him, but I wonder whether his activities make any harm to me. I can’t take a risk in this case so we ( me and my hubby) are thinking of contacting an adult care home in Oregon. They Promised 24 hours nursing care for him, but some sort of guilty feeling is disturbing me. Am I doing the right thing? This is only for the sake of my baby’s health. I didn’t want to escape from my responsibilities, then why am so guilty? Please share your thoughts.

Last edited by ian'smommaya; 10-16-2015 at 04:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 10-22-2015, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123anitaz View Post
Hey guys,
I’m 6 weeks pregnant and am facing some serious problems in my family. My father-in-law is suffering from Alzheimer's disease and he’s showing intense anger at times and throwing things towards all other family members. This made me anxious about my health and am a little scared. I know, It’s our responsibility to look after him, but I wonder whether his activities make any harm to me. I can’t take a risk in this case so we ( me and my hubby) are thinking of contacting an adult care home in Oregon. They Promised 24 hours nursing care for him, but some sort of guilty feeling is disturbing me. Am I doing the right thing? This is only for the sake of my baby’s health. I didn’t want to escape from my responsibilities, then why am so guilty? Please share your thoughts.
You are doing the right thing. You need help. There is so much help out there. I'm a social worker in Phoenix but, I would contact a social worker in your area and find out what's available. Day care for Alzheimer's patients may be an option. You may also want to contact a placement coordinator about options for group homes or assisted living facilities. You are doing the right thing in looking for help. Alzheimer quickly reaches the point where patients can't be managed by family and professionals need to be involved both for the safety of the family but also for the safety of the patient.
#3 of 4 Old 10-26-2015, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcal View Post
You are doing the right thing. You need help. There is so much help out there. I'm a social worker in Phoenix but, I would contact a social worker in your area and find out what's available. Day care for Alzheimer's patients may be an option. You may also want to contact a placement coordinator about options for group homes or assisted living facilities. You are doing the right thing in looking for help. Alzheimer quickly reaches the point where patients can't be managed by family and professionals need to be involved both for the safety of the family but also for the safety of the patient.
Hi amcal,
Thank you for your reply. I'm ended up joining him in Prestige care near my house. so that I can visit there regularly and ensure the safety of him.
#4 of 4 Old 10-26-2015, 11:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123anitaz View Post
Hi amcal,
Thank you for your reply. I'm ended up joining him in Prestige care near my house. so that I can visit there regularly and ensure the safety of him.
That's a good thing you are doing but you should be really careful about his condition in that centre. Some centres don't give the patients good care and also will hurt patients when they are not obeying them.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page