A Permanent Yeast Infection?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-12-2002, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am wondering if anybody might have suggestions on how to solve my yeast problems...I came here in hopes of finding something other than the typical solutions of Monistat and Diflucan.

It all started in February 2000 when I started experienceing a horrible burning after intercourse. I had never had a yeast infection before, but I went ahead and bought Monistat and treated it myself. It seemed to disappear and then came back again the next month after my period. More monistat, cleared up, came back... I treated it myself with Monistat 3 times before going to the Dr. in September. She confirmed that it was a yeast infection and gave me Diflucan and a cream to apply externally. It cleared up for a couple months, but came back after my period. She gave me a refill for Diflucan and it cleared up. Now it is July of 2001 and I'm at a new dr. I told her about the recurring yeast problem I had been having. Her response was "Different year, different infection" and she gave me more Diflucan.

It went away for a little while and then came back. At this point, I just dealt with it for a few months because the doctors were frustrating me so much. It's not so hard to deal with because it doesn't itch or brun constantly, only during and after intercourse. Which of course is no fun to deal with and is really frustrating both of us...

Anyway, fast forward to this year. I am now 24 weeks pregnant and seeing a midwife for my prenatal care. At my 11 week visit I told her I think I have yeast infection and filled her in on all the problems I had been having for the past 2 years. She told me to tough it out until my next visit at 15 weeks because she wanted me to avoid all medicine until the 2nd trimester. She suggested I start taking acidophilus. So, I have been taking acidophilus for over 13 weeks and intercourse still burns! I'm at my wit's end. I don't know what else to do. I will tell the midwife again at my next visit that I am still having symptoms, but I don't know what else to try...

I take acidophilus, eat yogurt, eat whole grains, drink cranberry juice, sleep without underwear (too much info., huh?), wear only 100% cotton underwear, shower, don't sit in bath water, don't swim so I'm never in wet bathing suits, bleach my underwear, iron my underwear because I read on the internet that the hot iron may kill yeast spores...does anybody have any suggestions?? I'm going crazy?

I've been tested for both diabetes and HIV because I read on the internet those could be causes of recurring yeast infections...both were negative...

Any ideas???:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2002, 10:23 PM

I dealt with chronic yeast for along time and the one tried and true thing that worked absolutely every time was cut out ALL SUGAR. There is a book called The Yeast Connection that you may want to check into.
Old 06-13-2002, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

I will definitely check out that book. Thanks for your suggestion!
Old 06-13-2002, 12:16 AM

Garlic suppositories. Yup. Just stick a peeled clove of garlic up there.

--AmyB
Old 06-13-2002, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

I've heard that...does it really work? I'm scared to try. I've also heard to put yogurt up there...haven't had the nerve to try that either. How exactly would you get it in? It certainly isn't working just to eat it constantly...
Old 06-13-2002, 10:33 AM

had a yeast nfection the whole time I was pregnant with #3 in 1998-1999
It did get better when I paid attention to my sugar in the diet-i did not read the book-post any good nfo.
Jennifer

::
momma to 4
Old 06-14-2002, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

To those that are saying to avoid or cut back sugar, is that ALL sugar? I mean I know to avoid like white bread and cookies and pure junk...but what about the sugar in fruit? Should I avoid that too?
Old 06-14-2002, 12:35 PM

If you avoid all refined sugar you should be ok.
Old 06-14-2002, 12:46 PM

I have had the same problem. Thanks all for the suggestion. Maybe finally I get motivated to give up my jelly bean addiction .

Thanks again
Old 06-14-2002, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

This is gonna be hard! I really healthy...I just supplement with a lot of sweets.

But, I'll try anything at this point! Thanks!
Old 06-14-2002, 03:16 PM

Well, I guess I'll have to cut out sugar too

Yeast has taking over me! In my case it's not only vaginal, but I believe i also have it in my breasts: areola and nipples very red, peeled, aching, itching, open sores

I'll make my best with the no-sugar diet. But, i think I may try the garlic supp. too.
AmyB, did you try it or know anybody who did it? I mean, is it OK? I feel it could be too strong or to acid???
Old 06-14-2002, 04:04 PM

You may want to sry some Miso soup as it's also suppose to be good for yeast.
Old 06-14-2002, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

I read about the garlic on another website...it said it works too. Itsuggested you wrap it in cheese cloth or gauze and tie a string around it to make a tampon type thing...it also said you can just stick it up there all by itself if you're brave...just be careful not to nick it because then it will burn...

If you don't mind me asking...what is miso soup and where can I get it? Thanks!
Old 06-14-2002, 08:25 PM

Miso Soup is an asian thing (Chinese I think) so any grocery store that has an international section or probably a natural foods store would carry it- I found a dried version that you just add boiling water to that it pretty tasty.
Old 06-14-2002, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I found a recipe for it on here right after I asked, but the dried version sounds a lot easier. I'll look for it.
Old 06-14-2002, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I finally gt rid of my yeast infection, got a bacterial infection which the treatment for will cause a frewaking yeast infection!!!!!!

Here is what I use that works really well.

Untill it goes away + 3 days:
6 caprilic acid tablets (A tablespoon of applecider vinigar down the hatch also works but I just yack it back up)
6 garlic capsules a day
every time you go to the bathroom wash with a mild water and vinigar solution.
Limit all starches and sugar (including fruit)
use two packets of stavia plus a day (It's sweet! and it fights yeast)

for maintinance

3 caprylic acid tablets and 2 garlic daily
limit sugar and continue using stavia as a sub

Never reuse towels, wash cloths and change underware daily. These are breeding grounds for yeast.

Good luck. Yeast really sucks.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 06-14-2002, 11:01 PM

For me, it was the intercourse...my mom and I both get yeast from semen/sperm (so does another gal here who thought she was the only one!) I use a vinegar and water douche (gently, esp now you're pregnant) post-sex which helps. Condoms or withdrawal might help too. (skip nonoxynol-9 containing lube though, VERY irritating.) If you're uncomfortable douching, I often just hop in a tub with an inch or so of water and "splash off". Affects the cuddle time, but much more comfortable. I hop up, clean off, them go back to bed. Doing this almost totally eliminated them for me (and did not affect getting pregnant....I just waited an extra couple minutes before the wash-up. This might not be your issue, but your reference to the problem cropping up during intercourse made me wonder...
Old 06-15-2002, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter

Never thought of that...interesting. It can't hurt to try. This is so frustrating!
Old 06-15-2002, 02:45 AM

I think I've heard somewhere that it's possible for men to have yeast as well, and that in cases of women having recurring yeast infections it may be the case that their partner keeps reinfecting them--in which case, partner would need to be treated as well. Just something I've heard, so I don't know if it's accurate, but maybe you can ask your doctor.

Another good home treatment for yeast is pau d'arco tea. I don't know if it's recommended in pregnancy though. Colloidal silver is also supposed to be antifungal, but again I don't know if it's safe during pregnancy. Maybe do some research on these...

I want to reinforce what everyone has said about cutting out sugar. So true! In fact, having candida can actually make you crave sugar more than you normally would. So once the yeast is gone, it should actually become easier to eat a low sugar diet and it will help to prevent recurrences.

Good luck to you!
Old 06-16-2002, 10:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lavender you are absolutely right. jock itch is yeast. It is also often without symptoms in men. In most cases of recurriing yeast infections in sexually active women the problem can be solved by treating the man. Yeast is very contaigous so if you have it your partner has it and if you get rid of it and your partner doesn't they will just give it right back to you.

Getting men to treat it is another story though. . . .

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 06-16-2002, 11:05 PM

all quite true about the men...just wanted to add that my problem continued even after partner was treated....though for most women I'm sure that would solve the problem. The washing element was the key...I think it had something to so with the semen disrupting the PH of me...triggering a yeast. Dietary changes might have helped make me less sensitive to that perhaps!
Old 06-18-2002, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

And today is day 5 for me with NO SUGAR!!!!!!!!

I was also wondering about treatment for men.

I also bought a new kind of acidophilus that I'm hoping will work better. We'll see. I have heard that I could insert that if it is made of something that will dissolve...is that safe? It's freeze dried with a gelatin capsule on the outside...

If I wanted to try the vinegar/water idea, how much vineger to how much water? And should I just splash? I'm kinda nervous putting anything on the inside since I'm pregnant...I know the baby is all sealed up tight in there, but it worries me. The last think I want to do is go rushing to the emergency room and have to explain why I have something weird stuck in me...

Thanks!
Old 06-18-2002, 08:52 PM

When I feel one coming on I take a short bath then add maybe 1/2 c vinegar to the water right up next to my yoni, swish then get out immediately. I also use my blowdrier to get rid of any moisture.

I've never tried the garlic myself but I think the recommendation is to insert it at bedtime and leave it in overnight. Hope you feel better!
Old 06-21-2002, 07:12 PM

Here is my BEST remedy. Homeopathic Sepia at 12x 3 times daily gets it gone and keeps it gone, safe for men too! And the BEST PART - NO SQUISHY STUFF UP THERE! Sepia is taken orally and has worked for me for years - recently worked for a very good friend of mine who has a chronic problem with it too.
Old 06-22-2002, 07:45 PM

Try goldenseal if nothing else is working. It can be used both internally and externally and heals numerous wounds. It is a very powerful herb so all you need is a pinch of the goldenseal powder in a nondisposable douche(with water of course). Try this for only a few days, as I mentioned it is very strong. I recommended this once for a friend of mine who was sick with an ecoli infection and could not rid herself of it. Like you she had tried everything. This worked for her. Good luck.
Old 06-22-2002, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. My next MW appt, is a week from Monday. So, I guess I'll find out then if anything is working. I bought The Yeast Connection...it came in the mail today. Hopefully I will learn something from it. Unfortunately, I'm no good at not eating sugar. I think I lasted about 4-5 days...
Old 06-23-2002, 01:28 AM

This is probably obvious to everyone, but:
DON'T USE ANY SOAP to wash your crotch (sorry, that's the word I use :]) or your pubic hair or even your bum.
That was the key for me... unfortunately, I wasn't thinking when I took a shower 1 1/2 weeks ago, and scrubbed myself all over --> presto! yeast infection.... doh!

On the subject of post-coital washing... my DH has to wash every time after sex, so that he doesn't develop one.
Old 06-24-2002, 11:31 PM

there's a great natural product called "yeast free" that you can get at www.moonmaidbotanicals.com . it should help!
Old 06-25-2002, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

I made a dr. appt. for DH to see if he's the cause...they say guys can have it with no symptoms...he's such a good sport. :-)

User Tag List