Vasectomy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 06-10-2004, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,
I'm really hoping someone can point me in the direction towards the side effects of vasectomy.
I've read some information on it a few years ago, now my husband is talking about getting snipped, and I'm not happy with that idea.
Please post any links or information you might have.
Thank you
Chelly
#2 of 34 Old 06-10-2004, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm really hoping someone can point me in the direction towards the side effects of vasectomy.
I've read some information on it a few years ago, now my husband is talking about getting snipped, and I'm not happy with that idea.

Why is it you are unhappy with the idea? Do you want more children, and he does not? His having the surgery is a heck of a lot easier, cheaper and safer than you having your tubes tied.

Dh had his vasectomy a few years ago. He had no side effects (other than the inconvenience of missing two days of work and dealing with the increase in our sex life afterwards!). His "performance" hasn't changed at all and I think he is enjoying lovemaking more so as there are no condoms to deal with anymore. In fact, the only difference is that there seems to be a little less semen than before the vas.

I had offered to have my tubes tied, but dh said that I'd gone through childbirth (which was easy), the least he could do was have the vas! Just the poor darling guy's luck, two years later I had a hysterectomy! Oh, well.....

Anyway, I am not sure what you are actually looking for.
#3 of 34 Old 06-10-2004, 08:06 PM

Same here, dh - NO side effects!
#4 of 34 Old 06-10-2004, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dh got snipped shortly after dd's birth. No side affects. Here is a link to his docs website, with info on the newest procedure (no stitches) and I think it lists the risks involved. Sure is nice, when you know you dont want more, NOT to have to use any b-control. Makes sex alot better!

http://www.azurology.com/vasectomies.htm
#5 of 34 Old 06-10-2004, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

No we don't want more children, and no I'm not going to get my tubes tied or anything like that.
I've read somewhere, and I cant' find it now, that there are risk's and side effects to "cutting off the sperms escape route" and that the sperm gets absorbed back into the body and causes some problems..... I just want more info on that and/or other side effects.
I know most people think its 100%, but I really don't think so (is anything these days safe?), and I want to be properly informed before anything gets CUT.
Chelly
#6 of 34 Old 06-11-2004, 06:12 AM

The only side effect I've heard anything about is hair loss.

My best friend's brother was someone who lost every inch of hair on his body, everywhere, six months after his V. Even his eyelashes. He had to take testosterone suppliments to get some to grow back. But it did grow back.

My uncle also experienced the hair on his body becoming much more sparse.
#7 of 34 Old 06-11-2004, 02:54 PM

No side effects for my dh either- he had a very speedy recovery and no pain or any other problems.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#8 of 34 Old 06-11-2004, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

http://www.skfriends.com/is-vasectomy-risky.htm

I found this, I guess I will keep looking............
#9 of 34 Old 06-12-2004, 09:25 PM

#10 of 34 Old 06-12-2004, 09:30 PM

dh had the vasectomy in december. no side effects.
#11 of 34 Old 06-13-2004, 01:10 PM

#12 of 34 Old 06-13-2004, 04:27 PM

We looked into vasectomy and tubal ligation a couple of years ago, however the possible side effects changed our minds. I guess we just didn't want to take the chance that dh could possibly have pain for the rest of his life without being able to do anything about it. Also, I believe the don't fix it site talks about how the sperm that are not ejected during intercourse are absorbed by the body. The body then idnetifies the DNA as foriegn matter and the immune system is ALWAYS working to fight the "intruders" resulting in a possible weakened immune system. This bothers me because we work very hard to keep our immune systems in good shape through nutrition, etc. in order to avoid the need for toxic medicines. It is not a side effect that would be readily apparent as a result of the vasectomy (perhaps dh would have a few extra colds a year).

wave.gif
#13 of 34 Old 06-13-2004, 04:30 PM

Ooops, I also would not feel as though vasectomy was %100 protection, so we would still use something else anyway. My aunt got pregnant twice after my uncle's vasectomy. At first he thought the babies weren't his, then they tested his semen and found that some sperm were still getting through. I guess it just wouldn't offer the peace of mind I was looking for.

wave.gif
#14 of 34 Old 06-13-2004, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
They check your sperm twice in the 2-3 months afterwards, to make sure there is nobody "swimming in the pool" so to speak. ANd I think the procedure they use now is alot more effective than it used to be.

I just asked dh if he thinks he has gotten more colds/illness since the vas, and he said he hasnt gotten sick in the 3 yrs its been. (He also takes alot of vitamin supplements, homeopathic remedies, etc....and doesnt do drugs, eat meat or drink excessively.

I checked that dontfixit link, the guy doesnt list any links to support his theories.......hmmmmm

Id like to see some clinical data that supports it.

Id also like to say, that I dont trust NFP, diaphrams, etc, and I dont want to have more children. As I cant use the pill any longer, this was an alternative we were comfortable with. I cant begin tell you how much more enjoyable sex can be, not having to worry about getting pregnant. Im not disputing that there are risks involved in getting a vas, but so far, dh hasnt had any adverse reactions.
#15 of 34 Old 06-13-2004, 05:55 PM

http://www.health.uab.edu/show.asp?durki=15404
"immune system reactions
After vasectomy, the testes continue to make sperm. When the sperm cells die, they are absorbed by the body, just as they are in a man who has not had a vasectomy. Sometimes, however, men, following a vasectomy, develop immune reactions to sperm.
Sperm usually do not come in contact with immune cells, so they do not elicit an immune response. But, vasectomy breaches the barriers that separate immune cells from sperm, and men can develop anti-sperm antibodies after the surgery."

This is from the University of Maryland Medicine site.
http://www.umm.edu/patiented/article...y_000037_8.htm

It talks about the study in the Netherlands of 700,000 vasectomy patients, 10% (70,000 men) of whom have long term chronic pain.
"Studies are indicating that men younger than their mid-forties who have vasectomies have twice the risk for kidney stones as their peers who have not had vasectomies. The increased risk persists for up to 14 years after the operation. Kidney stones are not life threatening but they can be extremely painful, and just to be on the safe side, men who have had vasectomies should drink plenty of fluids to help prevent them."

This is a link to a Post Vasectomy Syndrome article.
http://www.suntimes.co.za/health/lon...ealth/late.asp

http://www.missouri.edu/~cak307/vasect.htm
"With the holes on the tubes bunged up and the testis of a normal healthy man still dedicated to the production of sperm, something has got to give... and it does. The sperm backs up and eventually forms a tooth paste like sludge. as the sperm backs up so does the pressure and blow outs begin to occur along the epididymis. Because the body is not ordinarily exposed to sperm (with leakage after the blow outs) antibodies to the sperm are produced and the problems begin. The sperm cells are actually quite irritating and resistant, they have to be to withstand the hostile environment of someone else's body in a reproductive role.. they were never meant to be out in the blood stream."

http://www.diagnose-me.com/cond/C581295.html
"According to Dr. Roberts, "Their patterns of response suggest a cause and effect relationship between vasectomy and various disorders, especially in light of the fact that the majority had enjoyed good health before surgery." [Is Vasectomy Worth The Risk? A Physician's Case Against Vasectomania]"

Just wanted to make clear that I wasn't trying to say that vasectomy isn't right for someone else, it just isn't right for us.

Also, my uncle did have his vasectomy quite a while ago (10-15) years. The two pregnancies took place over a 10 year period with repair in between.

wave.gif
#16 of 34 Old 06-15-2004, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

THANK YOU.
I must say, I'd hate my husband to have any problems years down the line, we also have tried to keep our immune systems in good order - avoiding vaccines etc....
I wonder if there are any studies regarding testicular cancer etc..... in those who've had vasectomy's and those who have not.

I also can't take the pill, the hormones mess me up, I've tried the IUD and was very uncomfortable. So far the only thing we can both agree on are condoms......... and we're done having kids. I'm ok with using condoms forever, but he's not too thrilled with that idea.

Thanks again............
#17 of 34 Old 06-15-2004, 02:11 PM

Chelly

We looked into a vasectomy after my last birth when told that it would be dangerous for me to get pregnant again, we knew from all we had heard that vas. was less dangerous than a tubal for me, and all we had heard was about how it was no big deal, with no real side-effects (unless done by a quack :LOL). Anywho, dh called, made the appt., they (the urologist' office) sent a bunch of information and paperwork. Within the info. was a very small section which said that we "should be aware of a study which showed a higher risk of prostate cancer post vasectomy", and it cited the study, the info. went on to say that other, bigger-better studies had disproven this .

I told dh that it wasn't worth the risk in my eyes (family history of prostate cancer and all). I threw the stuff out and he called to cancel the appt.. I have to say, coming from a "natural family living" mindset, it is not hard for me to believe that there would be risks involved. The Couple to Couple League has info. about the risks on their website- granted, they are pushing for use of NFP, which may very well not be right for you either, but at least that's a place to get info. about possible vas. side-effects: www.ccli.org

HTH!

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#18 of 34 Old 06-15-2004, 09:17 PM

My dh had it done, we have 2 nfp babies ( i seriously believe I ovulate 2 times a month) and one planned child, we can't afford more and hormonal bc makes me very ill. So it was tubal, vas or celabacy and that wasn't gonna happen and the vas was the lesser of 2 evils. Any surgery has risks so does any birthcontrol except nfp so you have to decide what kind of risks you are comfy with.

And yes it is true the body still makes sperm but reabsorbs it, that is where some people have the most problems. My dh has been fine since his last november, he generally has a crappy immune system (and he refuses to believe in probiotics etc : ) so I wouldn't have noticed if he got a few more colds in general.

I have read the possible increased risk of prostate cancer but since it was the worst and only a possible side effect we figured it was worth it to us.
#19 of 34 Old 06-17-2004, 02:32 AM

My husband just had his about a year ago. I wouldn't take the risks too seriously. They are legally obligated to tell you everything, and it kinda sounds scary, but it's like that with every surgical procedure.
My DH did have one weird side effect. He never told me, but another guy friend asked him about the vas. and he told this friend (he doesn't know I'm typing it here... shhh ) He said his testicles sometimes get numb when we're intimate. Can I type that here? just some mamas chatting I figure it's okay. It's not a major thing, but it is the only side-effect DH had.

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#20 of 34 Old 06-17-2004, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dready*mama
I wouldn't take the risks too seriously.
I always take the risk's seriously, no matter how small. I know the second one of those risks happen to one of us, its no longer a risk, but a reality. And generally that reality would be terrible!
I'm going to look into the link between cancer and vas. - I would NEVER take the risk of that happeneing to my husband. (although he probably wouldn't care about any risk, he just wants to be snipped)
#21 of 34 Old 06-17-2004, 11:43 AM

I believe that the risks of vasectomy are much lower than the risks of childbirth.
#22 of 34 Old 06-17-2004, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Perhaps, but our bodies are built to give birth, a mans body is not built to have the "works" surgically "adjusted".
#23 of 34 Old 06-17-2004, 12:38 PM

I think it is important to remember that vasectomy is not the only method of preventing pregnancy.

wave.gif
#24 of 34 Old 06-17-2004, 12:46 PM

BTW my dh's doc told him the risks of complications go down if you make sure a qualified urologist does it, ask him/her how many people s/he has done it on, his success rate and how many of his/her patients had complications.

And this is the biggest one, if the doc tells your dh to sit on the couch for 3 days after surgery then that is what he is supposed to do, use the ice bags, really don't lift anything etc. Many times complications arise because guys take the few days off work as a vacation and go golfing etc. My dad's friend did this the day after his vas and his testicals got all infected and swelled up like a balloon. There are no bones in the area and the area is rich in blood vessels so there isn't much that can be done to control swelling if you don't take it easy and rest! Many complications can be avoided this way. Not all of them of course but it really does make a difference in some people.

And if your dh goes through with it, about a week later he might look all bruised up but if there isn't any swelling he is ok. I had forgotten about this but a month after dh's he had a bit of pain and some redness/itching turns out he got a mild skin infection in the area which they treated with antibiotics. Could have been because he didn't change his dressing as often as he should have the first week and then we resumed 'relations' way before we were supposed to, that could have contributed also.

And again if he goes through with it after the initial healing is done and the stitches disolve or are taken out there might be a tiny hole is what it looks like but it usually goes away about 2 weeks after the stitches come out. If it gets bigger or doesn't start to heal up have the doc re-look at it but from talking to others that had it done my dh realized it's pretty normal but at first he was concerned.
#25 of 34 Old 06-17-2004, 12:47 PM

Chelle, I would encourage him not to do it because you are uncomfortable with it. Hard feelings will be created.

But~~~~~~

It is his body. You should try to respect that it is his. You need to really deal with all the reasons you don’t want it done. Are you truly comfortable with no more children?

http://www.ottawa-vas.com/prostate.htm “Remember though, even if this reported weak link is accurate, vasectomy still has the lowest risk of causing illness or death compared with the birth control pill, tubal ligation, or having another baby. Women have accepted those risks for a long time!”

Many of the supposed risk are weak links. Many of these studies are poorly done. They don’t take account for all factors. We do not know if and what all the causes of prostate cancer are.

As for vasectomies not being 100%. Men must do follow-ups. Two months after.

Have you looked into Essure Permanent Birth Control System
#26 of 34 Old 06-17-2004, 12:56 PM

It is a personal choice. All methods of birth control have risks- even if the risk is an unwanted pregnancy (unwanted by the father or the mother!). Pregnancy itself has risks. All of life does.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#27 of 34 Old 06-17-2004, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsupialmom
It is his body. You should try to respect that it is his. You need to really deal with all the reasons you don’t want it done. Are you truly comfortable with no more children?

Have you looked into Essure Permanent Birth Control System
I'm VERY happy with just three kids, no more for me......... I want some SLEEP!! :LOL

I've never heard of Essure, till you mentioned it, I found the website, I'll need to look into that, seems like a "better" option. (If what I read 5 minutes ago is true) THANK YOU
#28 of 34 Old 06-17-2004, 06:12 PM

It's really such a minor surgery, that's why we didn't worry about it. DH's got a much HUGER chance of getting skin cancer from going for walks, than cancer from his vas.
His doctor told us most all of complications arose from guys being too active, also. He only schedules vas. apptmts on Fridays, b/c he starting having these macho guys who would go back to work the next day and then come back in with complications.

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#29 of 34 Old 06-17-2004, 06:42 PM

Since my DH and I are discussing our contraceptive options, and vas was definitely high on the list, I had to search pubmed and found:
Quote:
Chronic scrotal pain after vasectomy is more common than previously described, affecting almost one in seven patients. BJU International 2004 Mar;93(4):571-4
of course, you can also find studies to refute this one, but we're of the opinion that the risks are just too high for my DH to chance it.
#30 of 34 Old 06-17-2004, 07:40 PM

Question about the sperm having nowhere to go and being reabsorbed-aren't sperm constantly being reabsorbed. The life cycle of sperm isn't that long, from what I remember and if a man is not ejaculating constantly, don't the sperm die and get reabsorbed? How would that be different than being reabsorbed after a vas?

Seriously curious, not trying to start trouble- we're considering this.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page