strained muscles around lungs- ever had this? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-21-2004, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought there was a bad infection in my lungs but the dr heard nothing and since i had been having coughing for a few weeks in the mornings mostly he suggested that I may have strained myself by coughing. I experience a feeling that is tight when I try to breath anymore than shallow, When I move certain ways, trying to lay down on belly. And this is uncomfortable to the point where at times it alarms me. It is on my left side, and it was seeming to get better than I coughed hard thismorning and it reappeared.
anyone ever have anything like this?? should I rest it and not exercise?
laura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2004, 05:56 AM

Yes. I had chronic bronchitis as a child and teenager and strained those muscles more than once. I hope you feel better! Mine always healed up after a few days.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
Old 06-21-2004, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Monnie: Thanks for replying. This is new to me and it really sometimes concerns me. You said yours cleared up in days, It's been over a week now and Im wondering if I should get a second opinion. I do not enjoy not being able to breathe deeply w/o discomfort and being restricted in movement.
Laura
Old 06-21-2004, 01:49 PM

Yes i had this about 6 yrs ago. I was coughing so hard my entire chest wall was bruised so to speak. I think now lopoking back i had pertussis i actually ended up with 4 broken ribs. I was coughing so hard in a spasm and felt something pop in my side and went to er and had xray and sure enough she said i had 4 cracked ribs and boy it was painful.

Amy
Old 06-21-2004, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

amy, that sounds terrible! i suspect bruising since it'snot excruciating. but It still is pretty crappy feeling. i can not breathe right!!!!
Laura
Old 06-21-2004, 11:15 PM

It sounds like it might be the very painful condition costalchondritis. It is an inflammatory process and there is not much that really helps. It can last for weeks and come back. I've had problems with it off and on since I had pneumonia while pregnant in 1988. One of my sons has also had it. If you go to google.com and type in costalchondritis (I think I spelled it right) you will find a good article. If it turns out to be costalchondritis at least you will know that it's not other things like a heart attack or broken ribs and that it will get better with time.

: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

User Tag List