Enlarged Heart in 2 Month old. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-21-2004, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi mamas. I have some questions. I hope to express them clearly for I just received a call about 2 hours ago that my 2 month old sons xrays showed a enlarged heart.. My world s spinning right now because I am sure you can understand when you hear there is somethign wrong with your babies heart you tend to freak out... Which I am ..
We have a appt on thursday for a peds cardiologist.. They are going ot look at him and do a ultrasound of his heart.. What is the worse case senerio and what are some questions I need to ask? I want to go in there fully prepared and ask all the possible questions I can.. Right now I am numb and not thinking clearly.. HE also said something about a hole in the heart ( that a enlarge heart could mean that) what do they do for that ? I can think clear so I am sure this post is all over the place please forgive me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2004, 11:05 PM

I was born with an enlarged heart. My parents were told also at my 2 month appointment. I'm 29, and do have a heart condition, but I am healthy and normal in every other way.

Growing up, I had to go to the cardioloist frequently, but other than that, no invasive provedures were performed. Lots of tests, etc. By the time I was 15, I had "grown into" my heart.

Try to relax, I know it's impossible, but much love and peace to you.
Old 06-22-2004, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
onlyboys has good advice for you as she has been there and done that.

I have a pediatric textbook and I will look it up.

Be back.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
Old 06-23-2004, 03:37 PM

Sending your little one strong healthy heart energy ... and strong calm mama energy to his mother ...

Only thing to contribute is my cousin was born with a hole in her heart (she also has Downs). Discovered when she was a baby, but they waited for the surgery until she was about 2yo. She's now in her late 20s ... and a regular champ at the Special Olympics, too ...
Old 06-23-2004, 06:22 PM

s and good luck. I have no experienceso no real advice.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:09 PM

Hugs to you!

One of my grandfather's favorite stories to tell was how he was not sent overseas during WWII, even though he really wanted to go, because teh army doctor discovered that his heart was too big and in the wrong place(!?). He lived to be 97 so I guess an enlarged heart doesn't have to be a bad thing.

Hope everything turns out ok.
Old 06-24-2004, 03:39 PM

why was an xray performed? any other worrisome health issues?
Old 06-24-2004, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for all the replies... He has a x ray because we thought there might be some fluid in his lungs for he has a cough and is very raspy phlemy sounding.. No fliud in the lungs at all... We are going to a peds cardiologist this afternoon. I will know more then... I see the xray today when I went to get them for this appt. It shows the right side much bigger then the left. So we will see. The xray guy said it could of been the way they took the xray etc. so I am crossing my fingers.. Although all your stories are very calming to me I would feel even better if nothing was wrong with his little heart at all.
Old 06-25-2004, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Christy-
I feel for you!! The first thing to do is not to freak out. I know that's hard but you have to take this one step at a time. Trust your doctors and trust the process.
It could be that your baby has a hole in the heart. Often these holes are small and close on their own in the first few months of life. Some adults have holes in their hearts that cause no problems and only need to be monitored by a cardiologist.
I know it's really scary to hear that something's wrong with your sweet baby's heart. I know that from personal experience. My DS was born with a hole in his heart. We found out that something was wrong at his first appt. with his doctor. She could hear a little heart murmur so she sent us to the Children's Hospital. They did an ecocardiogram and a few other tests. I was so scared. I remember how I just wished that there was something wrong with his toe or his neck or something. Having something wrong with his heart just positively terrified me. My mind went instantly to death, which was a complete overreaction on my part. But I was so scared and so was my husband. My DS wasn't gaining weight the way a "normal" baby should due to his heart condition. So we were worried about that. Even just knowing that my baby had a cardioloist was scary for us! I can imagine how you're feeling. How did the appt. go yesterday??
Here's what I can tell you, though. You will get thru this. My baby is totally fine now. We had a lot to deal with and it was really hard but he's fine now. He's the happiest, healtiest little baby ever and things are good.
I'd be happy to share more of our story, or just listen to you, if you'd like. Feel free to PM me anytime.
I'll be thinking of yoU!

Spiral Chrissy, loving my life treehugger.gifread.gifhippie.gif, Mama to DS bouncy.gif (8/6/03), wife to DH guitar.gif, and hoping for another little bean dust.gifnamaste.gif
Old 06-25-2004, 03:34 PM

Dear ChristyMama:

I hope everything went ok at the doctor's yesterday.

My text book did not have anything except NICU stuff, but it did have info about different chambers of the heart being different sizes and affecting the rhythm of the heart and murmurs.

G-d bless. There is an answer out there for you!

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
Old 06-26-2004, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter

hi everyone! sorry i didnt get in here yesterday to post it was also my daughters b-day busy day!
his appt went awesome! they did a ultrasound on him and a ekg and they said his heart is healthy and normal and everything is working like its suppose to! which made me feel like i just won the lottery! so hes great.. he said that with babies this little xrays will tend to show a enlarged heart like his did.. it depends on how he was moving etc when they took the pic! i am so happy hes ok...... i want to thank all you wonderful mamas for your well wishes and calming me down...
Old 06-26-2004, 03:23 AM

that is awesome news!!!! And : to your dd .
Old 06-26-2004, 04:21 AM

Yah!

:

Old 06-26-2004, 10:43 AM

Great! So glad you got good news!
Old 06-26-2004, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Congrats!!

Spiral Chrissy, loving my life treehugger.gifread.gifhippie.gif, Mama to DS bouncy.gif (8/6/03), wife to DH guitar.gif, and hoping for another little bean dust.gifnamaste.gif

User Tag List