Elimination Diet -- how long? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 08-06-2004, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok so we went to the dr this morning, she wants me to give dd prune juice once a day and give her more fruits and vegetables. she gave me a pill to help clean out her system (just a one time thing) then start teh prune juice.

she also told me that cheese, meats, bananas etc can cause constipation (like you ladies told me) but should i just try to avoid red meat? is some chicken here and there ok? adn deli turkey?

she also said that i could try the soy or rice cheeses b/c dd loves cheese. what do all of you think about these? i know that they both have casin in them. and do dairy products without the lactose cause the same stomach problems?

well we are gonna go shopping, i am gonna trya few things. thanks for the list of foods JaneS.

oh and she doesnt have shredded wheat or cream of wheat that often but her stool is sometimes dark.

thaks again.

Allyn birthmom to S 3/12/03, placed in open adoption 4/06, married to W 6/22/07, mama to H 2/5/08, mama to M 8/26/12.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 41 Old 08-06-2004, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savannahmomi
pb&j: what do you feed your son?
Parker's symptoms manifest themselves as behavioral problems but the diet we follow also helps w/ other things. Here are physical symptoms that can be helped w/ the Feingold diet:

Ear infections
Asthma
Bedwetting (enuresis)
Daytime wetting
Stomachaches
Headaches, migraines
Hives, rashes (urticaria)
Eczema
Leg aches
Constipation, diarrhea
Congestion
Seizures (some types, especially if combined with migraine or hyperactivity)

That's from the site: http://www.feingold.org/home.html

You may want to go completely dairy/ casien free for a while then add things back in to see what she's sensitive to. Easier said than done though... dairy is difficult to eliminate.

It sounds like your ped is addressing the symptom of consitpation but not necessarily the cause, kwim? I'm sure others will be able to help you more than I can. Good luck! Good for you too for wanting to help your dd w/ diet
#33 of 41 Old 08-06-2004, 02:49 PM

I forgot...slippery elm is EXCELLENT for constipation, I took it a few times when pg.
#34 of 41 Old 09-07-2004, 01:33 PM

I just jumped to this thread from Vaccinations/Eczema -- and I have bookmarked all the web sites you ladies recommend for tonight's reading.

My DS (21 months) has had eczema since birth -- litterally, he was born with eczema. And I tried eliminating

wheat
dairy
eggs
soy
nuts
fish
corn

for 2 months -- it didn't help at all. That was almost a year ago. The only thing that controls the eczema at all is Elidel -- and I hate to use it, but (as I am sure you mamas know) the hamburger-face baby is so awful! And if I let the eczema flare up, DS wake more at night (as it is, he wakes about every 2 hours to nurse back to sleep) and scratches.

The eczema is only on his face, on his cheeks and chin and sometimes across his nose or behind his ears. Thank goodness, it has never broken out anywhere else, even before we were treating the eczema at all (other than with benign creams/oils).

DS has been very slow to start solids, so we thought perhaps there was some food intolerance or allergy involvement in the eczema. But we couldn't find a likely culprit, given that the elim diet we used before had zero results.

DS is just beginning to eat solids. He is also small for his age (around 8-12 mos he plummeted down from 90% height & weight to 25% weight, 40% height) and is slow to grow (still wears the 18 and 24 month size clothes that we got for him last fall/winter). All this seems related to the food issues, which may be related to the eczema. Or not.

I wondered if any of you have a suggestion about the face-only eczema -- doe sthat indicate something different? I haven't seen anything on eczema web sites, but those are aimed at adults with eczema. Or about the slow growth, or slowness to eat. At 21 mos, DS is still pretty much getting his nutrition from Mamamilk, eating maximally 2 Tablespoons of food daily.

I guess I am leading myself up to starting a new elim diet, because when I recently tried ceasing the Elidel, his little wee cheeks looked so horrible so quickly (and they were clearly bothering him). I will read up on the Sears diet, salicywhatever-they-bes ;-), Feingold, and probiotics. Sigh. It is so hard -- but if his tiny face would only clear up, it would be worth it.

--Balrog
#35 of 41 Old 09-07-2004, 05:50 PM

balrog, one thing to also be aware of with eczema, especially if there are respiratory symptoms as well- is airborne allergins. It can also be a combo of both- that is what we're dealing with.

My ds reacts to animal dander and pollen as well as foods. The elimination diet wasn't the total answer for us- but a few foods were big triggers.

Even with those foods out of his diet, he still gets eczema when there's a lot of pollen, he's exposed to cleaning solutions or animals.

Good luck to you.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#36 of 41 Old 09-08-2004, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balrog
My DS (21 months) has had eczema since birth -- litterally, he was born with eczema.
Poor little bunny.

Does he have a red ring around the anus? That is also a good indiction of food allergies or yeast. If not, it might point towards an environmental or other connection. Although since he was born with it, that might not be it. It's so difficult to wade through all this, wishing you strength and fortitude mama!
#37 of 41 Old 09-09-2004, 10:59 PM

I hope this is not too off topic and someone can help me get a clear picture on this; I have a strong family history of allergies, asthma, colitis, Crohn's Disease, and Celiac's, and eczema, please pardon the spelling...My question is, can I be proactive-can I change my diet, and my four children's in order to prevent this in our future?

My ten year old had a battle with what his Dr. called eczema last winter-his skin peeled off his hands constantly until they were raw. He is noticing this again now.

I have a 5 month old and we deal with quite a bit of reflux. I have always felt most of these problems were food related, but have not dealt with them but feel like I am ready to get a handle on this food thing now.

Sorry for the ramble, and I appreciate any advice.
#38 of 41 Old 09-09-2004, 11:20 PM

I was on the elimination diet as a child due to my own severe food allergies. The only meat I was allowed was lamb. I am allergic to cow products, dairy and beef. Interestingly, I can eat McDonald's hamburgers with no problem

I was also told the same, that I'd have to eat the trial food every day for a week. It was not fun. I still remember eating loads of lamb when I was 7 but at least I do like lamb. But I was able to find out what I am allergic to. I had skin testing when I was in my teens and found out another big list of things I'm allergic to. Another thing I found was that most of the foods I'm allergic to, are things that I hate. My mom always thought I was so picky but I guess my body was just avoiding things it knew was bad.

I've also found that you can definately become allergic to something or have reactions that get worse when you eat that food more.

I have children with bad allergies and was also told to wait up to 3-4 weeks for something to leave your system. We all can't have milk. Some of us can tolerate some and some can't. My oldest is the only one who can have soy, the rest of us are allergic. Then with fruits and veggies, we are all allergic to some and not others and not all the same thing. As you can imagine, meals are interesting. I've learned that you can be allergic to anything. Unfortunately nothing is off limits.

Stephanie, mom to 3 big girls ('94, '99 & '02) and to my little guy (12/30/09) intact & CD'ed!
#39 of 41 Old 09-10-2004, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2zsel
I hope this is not too off topic and someone can help me get a clear picture on this; I have a strong family history of allergies, asthma, colitis, Crohn's Disease, and Celiac's, and eczema, please pardon the spelling...My question is, can I be proactive-can I change my diet, and my four children's in order to prevent this in our future?
I think so!
Read the thread: The Power of Probiotics
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ad.php?t=96009
Making your own yogurt can probably be the best thing you could do for your family's immune system. You could also experiment with non dairy versions.

I've also been reading wonderful things about coconut oil and its ability to help various intestinal problems, you might want to do further research.
http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/vcnocrohns.htm
http://www.westonaprice.org/know_you...conut_oil.html
#40 of 41 Old 09-10-2004, 11:11 PM

JaneS, for the links! I have alot of research ahead of me, but I am willing to do whatever it takes to avoid the issues that so many in my extended family deal with daily. Thanks again,
#41 of 41 Old 01-28-2005, 11:36 PM

How is everyone doing??
C'mon over to these threads for similar discussion:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=228710
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=207621

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page