coughing, coughing, coughing, not sleeping, coughing some more.... - Mothering Forums

#1 of 9 Old 06-26-2002, 02:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is me I'm talking about here. My kids do it too occasionally, but they are allowed to sleep upright on my chest. I can't sleep upright. I've tried using 3 pillows. I've downed about 6 teaspoons of robitussin. I've had a big old cup of chamomile tea. I have a vaporizor running beside my bed. This is about the 5th or 6th night in a row that I've been sitting up while the rest of the world sleeps because I can't stop hacking. I'm disturbing my family. I'm tired.

My dr. wants me to take stuff with codeine in it. I don't want to while nursing. I don't want ds to get it, but even more worrisome -- I don't want to sleep with him while I'm drugged to that extent.

What can I do? What can I take? Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 06-26-2002, 11:29 AM

Does anyone have a clue at why you are hacking??

Try taking an expectrant during the day. Robotussin makes an expectrant only. It will help you get the crap out. But don't take it close to bed time, it will make you cough more. Then if you are desperate try an cough surpressent, only at night.
#3 of 9 Old 06-26-2002, 11:59 AM

My daughter has a condition called reactive airway disease which causes her to souch at night. You might want to look into this or ask your doctor if this may be what it is. It's basicly mild asthma, which normally acts up at night. I didn't even realize that coughing was a symptom of asthma until my daughter was diagnosed.

#4 of 9 Old 06-26-2002, 12:09 PM

I agree that you should make your main priority finding out why you're coughing.

I find that hot water with lemon and honey (lots of honey) helps me to stop coughing. Get as many things that help a little bit, and take them all right before you go to bed, while lying down. This includes cough syrup, hard candy, cough drops, and the hot water with lemon and honey. Usually, if you can just stop coughing long enough to fall asleep, you'll stay asleep for a while. The other people in your bed may wake up because you're coughing, but that's tough for them. Don't even brush your teeth after you take that stuff. I know it's gross, but it usually works for me. Besides, I tend to brush my teeth about a million times during the day when I have a cough since it does gross things to your breath.
#5 of 9 Old 06-26-2002, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

I'm recovering from Strep.

Yes -- my son has RAD. I dont' think it is that. Not a constant problem -- just lately.

Thank you all for the advice. I'll try something w/honey. Can't do expectorant during the day -- makes me too sleepy! But more fluids should help, I guess?
#6 of 9 Old 06-26-2002, 03:06 PM

plain expectrant should not make you sleepy. LOL Then again ~~~~~~ Every one is different.
#7 of 9 Old 06-27-2002, 12:00 PM

The freezer! try breathing in the freezer (i know you can get in there )but keeping the door open and putting the head in there for one or two minutes makes a difference. Trust me, i know it sounds nuts, but it works.
#8 of 9 Old 06-27-2002, 12:07 PM

Click here: HealthWorld Online - Integrative Medicine - Childhood Cough
http://www.healthy.net/asp/templates...Article&ID=248

Click here: HealthWorld Online - Naturopathic Medicine - Treatment of
Coughs With Herbal Remedies
http://www.healthy.net/asp/templates...Article&Id=774

Click here: HealthWorld Online - Integrative Medicine - Childhood Asthma

http://www.healthy.net/asp/templates...Article&ID=237
#9 of 9 Old 06-27-2002, 02:57 PM

There is a natural expectorant that will not make you drowsy and will actually help kill off the rest of the infection. It's called Naturade. You should be able to find it at the health food store.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page