red, smelly rash in neck folds - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 06-29-2002, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Now that the weather has gotten nice and hot and humid here on the East Coast, my infant has developed a nasty neck rash. She has nice chubby neck folds that never seem to get any air in them, so she has cultivated a fungus-smelling, red rash. I don't know if it bothers her, but the skin is looking really raw in one area. Has anyone experienced this, and what has worked to treat it??? I am trying to air it out as much as possible, and we wash the area with warm water at least once a day, but it's so hard to get at, and so hard to keep it dry.
#2 of 12 Old 06-29-2002, 11:05 AM

oops I wrote you a reply but I had hit the new thread button. check out the main health & healing forum. my reply is there!
sorry!
#3 of 12 Old 06-29-2002, 11:05 PM

it could be thrush, especially due to the warm wet folds in the skin (i too live in the very humid northeast). if keeping it as clean and dry as possible is not helping it, you may want to get it checked. this sounds funny i know, but you could try cleaning it and applying some plain yogurt to it. that is what i have used on all yeast infections. try it for a few days and see if it helps. if you end up at the doc and it is thrush, s/he will recommed an antifungal cream like lotrimin or micotin, over the counter. good luck, hope she is more comfortable soon!
#4 of 12 Old 06-30-2002, 01:46 AM

This happened in the folds of ds's armpits once. I just started making sure to pull back the fold (instead of just wiping underneath his arms like I had been doing) and wipe with plain water once a day, and it went away.
#5 of 12 Old 06-30-2002, 08:56 AM

Keep a watch on this, my niece, many years ago now had this problem and it got so bad it was sort of a wound. it went unnoticed I think so at least you notice it. Does a powder like kaolin clay help??? I have that but forget the name-sorry. Good luck
Laura
#6 of 12 Old 06-30-2002, 08:58 AM

i just thought of this. Since it smells and may be fungus, dilute very much because it is strong, Tea tree oil with water and try rinsing with that.
Laura
#7 of 12 Old 06-30-2002, 10:04 AM

I would try dusting with cornstarch to dry it up - after washing with plain water and drying the area with a clean cloth.
#8 of 12 Old 06-30-2002, 02:18 PM

Diluted grapefruit seed extract is good for yeast i clean my babies bottom with it between diaper checks cause sheis chubby and gets a nice red yucky rash going if i dont use it. And id keep a good lotion on it also.
#9 of 12 Old 07-05-2002, 08:27 PM

I have the same thing happening with my dd who has many folds in her neck....I wipe it every time she spits up (which is frequently) with a dry cloth and also wipe it about 3 to 4 times a day with a wet cloth and then air dry (blow on her neck while holding folds open)...since I started doing this the smell is gone from her neck.....I think the smell for the most part is rotten skin that has sluffed off and stayed moist, etc.....anyway, so I think wiping/cleaning the area more than once a day is needed.

Heidi : Married for 15 years, expecting our 8th baby in July!

#10 of 12 Old 07-05-2002, 10:46 PM

washing frequently air drying and if you're desperate {prepare for unnatural solution} I use Lotrimin, once or twice gets rid of it, and with careful attention is doesn't recurr often. Drool/spitup caused it in our case I think. tea tree is a good idea!
#11 of 12 Old 07-07-2002, 11:45 PM

It's sweat. Kind of like "toe jam," in all the creases. Water works fine, but you've got to let it dry. Sometimes I put A&D ointment in the creases in really hot weather, just so it doesn't chafe.

Gets worse in humidity, and a lot worse if baby's unwashed ...

And I see you're a Loisaida ... I'm an Upawesaida ... nice to meet you ...

- Amy
#12 of 12 Old 07-08-2002, 03:06 PM

My son had this problem last summer, my ped told me to make sure after bath to dry thoroughly, and he said to check every time he nursed to make sure that no milk got in there, and wipe it dry. That really seemed to help. Also he said no powder b/c it will rub and cause more rawness, though i have heard of using cornstarch and it being effective.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page